Welcome to the Windows Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Major

Global Posts
    88 Global Posts
    Anyone else suspecting that wp8 will be able to swipe the to the left from the home screen? Since is was confirmed that the app list is still on the right side in this video (at around 2:45)
    And since the glutter and empty space is gone, making the home screen center, i think during the revealing of the consumer features, there may be a notification center at the left or any other things. In wp7, with the glutter, the home screen was more to the left, hence having the function to swipe to the left feels weird. But now in wp8 its centered. Thus swiping to either left and right will feel natural. Anyone else thought about this?

Global Posts
    181 Global Posts
    I think it was in the latest podcast where Daniel mentioned that some kind of notifications features would be coming and that we would be pleased with its implementation. Putting it to the left feels perfectly sound to me. Hopefully something like that will come to fruition.
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    3,304 Global Posts
    they also enhance to LIVE TILES to show more notification...

Whats funny is that LIVE TILES are the Notifications... thats why its LIVE! so you can see updates as they happen.

just like the E-mail Tile wills now let you see the last e-mail you got .. witch is much better then swiping to the left to see a list of notifications.
    If your looking for Information, be sure to check out: WindowsPhone: Getting started!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    If one of our Members helps you, be sure to THANK him or her!

Global Posts
    652 Global Posts
    Not all third party apps implement live tiles, people don't pin every single app to the home screen, and notifications in their current state only last a few seconds and then disappear. We need some kind of persistent notification system; live tiles are not enough.
    Thanked by:
    Gergolos likes this.

Global Posts
    449 Global Posts
    It was said that apps would have access to lock screen notification icons. Enough for me.

Global Posts
    1,004 Global Posts
    Yeah, the CNN notification is frusterating me. I have about 2 seconds to look at it before it dissappears, and then it doesn't scroll or anything to where I can read what the entire notification is.

Quote Originally Posted by Squatting Hen View Post
    Yeah, the CNN notification is frusterating me. I have about 2 seconds to look at it before it dissappears, and then it doesn't scroll or anything to where I can read what the entire notification is.
    Notifications for both Windows 8 and Phone 7.5 suck

Hopefully Microsoft addresses this

It's very bad

Regards,

Based_Graham@twitter

Global Posts
    179 Global Posts
    The entire point of the Live tile notification system is to be at-a-glance. You're just supposed to look at the phone, know whats going on and then put it down. It's to save people from mindlessly spending so much time fiddling with their phones. Personally, since I don't use apps as much as the next person, this type of notification system works for me. As long as it tells me I have a phone call, get a text or email, I'm fine.

Global Posts
    181 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Squatting Hen View Post
    Yes, I hate the CNN app's toast notifications. Sometimes I would hear my phone beep, then check it to find nothing, not knowing what I was just notified of. I ended up turning them off. If the CNN tile were live then maybe it would be more useful.

I think this would be a great idea for those users who have a large number of apps. Notifications for things like texts, emails, calls, etc. work really well, but not all WP owners or apps function the same way.

Global Posts
    179 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by iloveamystery View Post
    I think this would be a great idea for those users who have a large number of apps. Notifications for things like texts, emails, calls, etc. work really well, but not all WP owners or apps function the same way.
    That really is up to the app developer, blame the app developer for not taking full detail of the live tile and the metro U.I and others. I think with the new Start Screen, we'll be seeing a lot more developers take the live tile into consideration.

That'll be a no then...not yet anyway!

This thread is 5 months old!? Why bump it?

The way I look at it is, the left swipe should not be for notifications but providing the ease with which different feature like WiFi, Bluetooth, NFC can be toggled on/off. Why dig deep into the settings for this each time. I know there are apps to help me do this by pinning it to the home screen but why not integrate the same into the OS itself ???