Why 7.8?

eastbayrae

Jun 12, 2011
Visit site
If that is your only complaint with it then you have no issues. My only complaint is I can't get at it right now and WP8 phones are 4-5 months away.

mprice86

Dec 12, 2011
Visit site
Given that MS are pledging software support for devices up to and beyond 18 months from their release; I think it's reasonable to expect there will be a 7.9 at some point for current WP7.5 devices.

eastbayrae

Jun 12, 2011
Visit site
What real difference does it make what it's called? Call it 'Potato Pankcake', as long as it works and isn't loaded with bugs.

ninjaap

Dec 10, 2008
Visit site
What real difference does it make what it's called? Call it 'Potato Pankcake', as long as it works and isn't loaded with bugs.

The point is we might get another update next year in the form of WP7.9 for current phones. Negating the notion that current phones are EOL (which I don't agree with anyway).

rich4A1

Oct 28, 2011
Visit site
The point is we might get another update next year in the form of WP7.9 for current phones. Negating the notion that current phones are EOL (which I don't agree with anyway).

That was indeed my original unspoken point. If Microsoft decides to keep the 7.x series for lower end phones, and even maving new models (which I think I saw from somewhere), 7.9 or even 7.85 will be necessary to keep their promise of 18 months upgrade, and if that is true, that will put a lot of fresh blood to the 7.x devices, and there will still be apps developed for 7.x.

snowmutt

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
Love some positive spin!!!

I feel most of us were prepared to not get the full 8.0 experience. But, we do expect to get a serious update, and then continued support. I had a real "wow" moment in the comment section in one of the other sites where someone brought up his Father (a business man) was still on his 2 year commitment for a Windows Mobile phone, and he no longer could even get apps. So, some people expecting the worst from Microsoft is a little expected.

It is up to MS to prove people, and future customers in Mobile, wrong. This isn't a PC market. Update and support the WP 7.5 devices, get 7.8 on them and make it a worthwhile update, and improve where you can. WP will build an audience.

Man, the view is nice from up on this soap box....

ninjaap

Dec 10, 2008
Visit site
On the other hand, maybe we shouldn't start rumors like this. People might get upset and go up in arms again if we don't get 7.9! :p

eastbayrae

Jun 12, 2011
Visit site
On the other hand, maybe we shouldn't start rumors like this. People might get upset and go up in arms again if we don't get 7.9! :p

I demand you give me the product that I didn't know existed that doesn't yet exist for sale that made me unhappy with the purchase I was previously happy with.

hyperlexis

Apr 12, 2012
Visit site
Don't hold your breath

Rest assured, dear children of the corn, no, there will be no further updates. Ever? Never. 7.8 is a one-off Miss Congeniality consolation prize. One and done. And I know, because MS did this to me, and thousands of other loyal Windows Mobile users in 2010. MS said that we were valuable "Windows Phone Classic" (i.e. WinMo 6.X) legacy users and that "WP Classic" would continue to be developed and sold on lower end handsets in poor countries and development would continue in parallel to WP7. HA! Well that, of course, never happened, and worse, HTC HD2 handsets that could have been upgraded to WP7 by MS never were. The rest of us maxed out, if we were lucky, at 6.5 and only a handful of remaining models were sold with 6.5.3 that had more of a touch friendly interface, less reliant on the metal stylus. That is unless you somehow updated the OS yourself. But otherwise no, once 7 was announced, no further official updates or bug fixes came out and the MS 6.X App store just withered on the vine. Only a handful of mainstream, commercial apps were really written for WM6.X anyway, and with 7 it was even less so. The MS 6.x Marketplace was totally shut down by MS a few months ago, in fact. So no, I wouldn't bet anything that we will see anything past 7.8. Sad but MS can't be trusted to do anything else, not after the 6.X debacle.

jimski

Dec 11, 2010
Visit site
Just for clarification, Windows Mobile Marketplace was nothing more than a test bed for WP Marketplace. It was truly irrelevant. I had more than 200 apps/games on my Tilt2 , and and some of those apps went all the back Tony first iPaq. Only about 15% of the apps on my phone came from the Marketplace. Another 25% from XDA, and the balance from independent stores and developers. That's where the best apps could be found.

Ok now, back on topic.

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express Pro

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes