Transfer of texts, etc. from old phone to WP8 phone?

MichaelBanning

Dec 25, 2009
Visit site
I have a LG Quantum with 7.5, and while I?m excited for the 7.8 update, I know I?ll need to get a WP8 phone eventually.

My biggest concern for that eventual hardware change is whether or not I will be able to somehow transfer information that isn?t currently up or down-loadable to a phone ? namely text messages ? from my Quantum to the new phone.

Back in the pre-WP7 days, this was done EASILY with the old MyPhone setup, by which photos, texts, and other info was synced from the phone to Windows Live or some cloud service, and then synced back to the new phone.

Is there any chance that something like this will be available for those of us wanting to save and transfer stuff like texts to a new phone?

CommonBlob

Jul 18, 2011
Visit site
Thats going to be tricky as there is no text message API. We could HOPE that Microsoft, in the new 7.8 build, add some kind of cloud text message sync. I think that might be a bit too much of a hope though.

My opinion is realise you will lose your text messages, and this isn't a bad thing as long as you note down anything important. At least contacts are cloud based so they transfer neatly.

oldpueblo

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
I realize this is a terrible workaround, but have people start texting to your google voice number (I assume you have one, they are awesome). Then all texts you have will be stored for you off your phone, but also easily integrated in your phone via an app like GoVoice.

I know this doesn't help with old messages but it's an idea for the future.

MichaelBanning

Dec 25, 2009
Visit site
I realize this is a terrible workaround, but have people start texting to your google voice number (I assume you have one, they are awesome). Then all texts you have will be stored for you off your phone, but also easily integrated in your phone via an app like GoVoice.

I know this doesn't help with old messages but it's an idea for the future.
Thanks for the ideas - it appears there is a pretty popular Feature Suggestion over on their UserVoice website (do we know if the WP people look at/care about that or is it just there for us to feel better) requesting this is added as a feature.

Device backup

thed

Jan 6, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the ideas - it appears there is a pretty popular Feature Suggestion over on their UserVoice website (do we know if the WP people look at/care about that or is it just there for us to feel better) requesting this is added as a feature.

Device backup
Someone at MS does look at the UserVoice site. They have admins that mark features as under consideration, and they occasionally respond to posts there.

I don't really care about preserving my texts, but backup and transfer of application data sure would be nice. It's a feature that's long overdue IMO.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb