Microsoft: We've only shown you a minority of consumer features in Windows Phone 8

Winterfang

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
I've being reading those developer blogs on Windows 8 and the metro looks superior in there. I want everything they have on my phone, unchanged.

eric12341

Dec 1, 2009
Visit site
I've being reading those developer blogs on Windows 8 and the metro looks superior in there. I want everything they have on my phone, unchanged.

Well the NT kernel does allow for that,especially since our phones will have the same internals as windows ARM PCs, at least until the x86/64 ones come out.

snowmutt

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
I am pumped to see what WP 8 brings. I have pretty much decided much to save my cash and get a new WP8 when they come out, most likely Samsung or Nokia. I see this as a near necessity once I upgrade my PC's insides and install Windows 8.

Plus, if I don't get a new WP, I may die. A slow, horrible death involving main organs failing and drool. No man or woman should go like that......

Flan Tamarind

Nov 17, 2011
Visit site
I'm most interest in seeing what happens with the new Xbox Live Hub. There hasn't been any major announcements, but I feel like there's room for improvement there. Multitasking and notifications are another big one. Being able to see what running with the option of closing it with an upward swipe is something I'd love to see, as well as an option for screenshots, within our current multitasking screen. There was a concept up on the site a while back that showed something like I'm talking about.

socialcarpet

Banned
Apr 4, 2012
Visit site
Sorry guys, but you sound a bit like luddites.

Hopefully Microsoft isn't stupid enough to ignore voice like some of you think they should because they'll get left in the dust.

Siri type applications are the future, count on it. Most people would rather speak to their phone than squint at the screen and punch at it with their fingertips for everything. The day when we can use our phones reliably without having to ever touch the screen to type is coming sooner than you think. The sooner Microsoft gets to work on brining TellMe up to speed, the easier it will be down the road.

Siri needs some work, but now Google has come out of nowhere and upgraded the crap out of Google Voice search, check out this video.

[YT]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kDsOtdRtG0Q[/YT]

Now, I HATE Google and I HATE Android, but I have to give credit it where it is due. That is very well done right there. I expect something similar in WP8. If we don't see it, then I can promise you Microsoft has dropped the ball and they had better pick it up quick.

Flan Tamarind

Nov 17, 2011
Visit site
I think we're still years away from true voice functionality. Even with noise canceling, the simplest sentence can be destroyed simply by mis-pronouncing a word or having a pause thrown in. The trick, in my eyes, is to use the FFC to mo-cap you while you're talking. It could gather information while you speak to improve it's translation of voice into text that it can understand. It's that or we'll be burning our batteries trying to find some obscure thing on ebay with voice while our cpu is working double overtime to figure us out.

If Microsoft is REALLY smart they will leverage what they've learned with kinect to create a new peice of tech for phones. Either that or include an IR camera along with the FFC to allow basic kinect tracking. That's where I would put my money. I'm aware that the kinect is a power hungry beast, but if you had a quad-core (or greater) cpu, you may be able to make this work. They could then pair that tech with the built-in gyros and accelerometers to create what essentially is a 3D scanner.

The posibilities are endless.

fwaits

Mar 9, 2008
Visit site
Voice is being taken seriously by MS, hence the TellMe API for apps. We'll see how far they go with native use of it when they give more consumer details, but I think it will be there for most things.

12Danny123

Mar 24, 2012
Visit site
Voice is being taken seriously by MS, hence the TellMe API for apps. We'll see how far they go with native use of it when they give more consumer details, but I think it will be there for most things.

Do you think there would be a tellme Siri competitor?

HeyCori

Mod Emeritus
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
I've seen that video before but I've never noticed how bad the acting is.

And that one chick is way too pale.

Would still bang.

snowmutt

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
Siri needs some work, but now Google has come out of nowhere and upgraded the crap out of Google Voice search, check out this video.

Now, I HATE Google and I HATE Android, but I have to give credit it where it is due. That is very well done right there. I expect something similar in WP8. If we don't see it, then I can promise you Microsoft has dropped the ball and they had better pick it up quick.

Agree, and I never truly thought of it like that. I do not "hate" Android. I actually promised myself to keep an open mind about WP8 because even though I love the WP OS, I expected MS to be competetive to Ice Cream Sandwich and Jellybean, or else I wasn't going to go with them. Luckily, I love what they are doing, and see a great jump ahead for WP8.

However, the voice activation and controls are easily the area MS may be falling behind. Siri may have been a complete gimmick, but it was a well promoted gimmick which made the iPhone 4s a huge hit and gave it the appearence of a new device. It made the iPhone look cutting edge again. Google and MS better take notice, because truthfully there are very little actual improvements or advancments to iOS, but they will continue to push Siri. If you want to prove the Emperor has no clothes, you better be well dressed yourself.

anon(5344488)

Jul 4, 2012
Visit site
The main areas I can see this sort of functionality being successful/useful are searching and dictation. Most other scenarios I can at most see it as augmenting apps with one word commands. Forward or back in IE, commands in games, like reload or flashlite. But if i have to give strings of three or four word commands, in my mind its just faster to tap through instead of waiting for it to interperate what I've said.
The long and short of it to me is, if its going to appeal to me, it has to atleast be faster than the tapping I do now.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
babukapyar