Lenovo wants Nokia Level Customization for Windows phone 8......Disjusting

vp710

Jun 3, 2012
Visit site
No bloatware and skins please.

I agree with one of the comments on that webpage: they should concentrate on releasing amazing quality hardware first.

fwaits

Mar 9, 2008
Visit site
Well to be fair it doesn't go into too much detail about what exactly they want to customize, but yeah I agree that differentiation of the UI should generally not be allowed beyond what everyone can do, but features and such, whether it's software or taking advantage of some additional hardware Lenovo wants to bring would be acceptable.

SnailUK

Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
Its difficult for an OEM on WP7, because theres very little an OEM can do to make themselves stand out.

Writing loads of apps like Nokia is a great idea, but the popular must haves can just be copied, or we get into a PS3/Xbox scenario, where OEMs are buying exclusive rights to apps, and then no consumer wins.

vp710

Jun 3, 2012
Visit site
Its difficult for an OEM on WP7, because theres very little an OEM can do to make themselves stand out.

I couldn't disagree more. First, Nokia has managed to differentiate themselves because they offer top-notch services, apps, hardware and customer care. And here is proof below that differentiation by hardware quality would be enough. Watch how bad and good design stands out.

Fujitsu-Toshiba-IS12T-verde-600x600.jpg

LG-Optimus-7.jpg

6242.nokia_2D00_lumia_2D00_900_2D00_black_5F00_2BABC9B8.jpg

microsoft_surface_phone_8_by_yronimus-d54trfa.jpg

SnailUK

Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
I couldn't disagree more. First, Nokia has managed to differentiate themselves because they offer top-notch services, apps, hardware and customer care. And here is proof below that differentiation by hardware quality would be enough. Watch how bad and good design stands out.

I agree short term, but longterm?

If WP8 starts getting decent levels of sales, the likes of HTC/Samsung/etc will take it seriously. There's some very good Android hardware out there, so there no reason it can't be lightly modified for WP8 (just as they've done for WP7 hardware).

Apps are a piece of cake, hardware should be easy, and customer care for the likes of samsung mst be pretty good, if they are selling millions of units a week.

I think the Lumia's are stunning looking pieces of kit. Is there any reason why HTC or Samsung couldn't just copy them, if they sell millions for Nokia? Put tried and tested Android innards in them, and eat Nokia on WP7 as well. Then sell the same units on Android as well.

Out the gate, Nokia should be without doubt the best option for WP8. I think if they do too good a job, they are going to have a real fight on their hands.

Winterfang

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
I'm with Lenovo on this one. They only said Nokia level customization, and what exactly their different things? That their hardware doesn't have an ugly Windows Phone name on the back taking space and ruining design?

Heck I say, give them the option for multiple home screens if they want, we need all the hardware manufactures we can get.

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site

Writing loads of apps like Nokia is a great idea, but the popular must haves can just be copied, or we get into a PS3/Xbox scenario, where OEMs are buying exclusive rights to apps, and then no consumer wins.

So the alternative is for them to muck up the phone with their poorly coded software which then adds delays to updates already at the mercy of carriers? Nokia stands out for their hardware and added software, other OEM's should learn to compete in the same way. This is probably why MS made the Surface tablets, OEM's just want to churn out generic handsets and than slap their skin on top and call it "differentiation. The only one who loses is the consumer waiting ages for the "customisations" to be updated.

tk-093

Aug 30, 2010
Visit site
What's the big deal? They only want to do stuff like add their own App store and crap, probably replace the XBox Live stuff..... China has their great firewall and all that junk. There was some article back in Feb about XBox Live getting removed in the Tango update on Nokia phones in China. It's already happening.

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
What's the big deal? They only want to do stuff like add their own App store and crap, probably replace the XBox Live stuff..... China has their great firewall and all that junk. There was some article back in Feb about XBox Live getting removed in the Tango update on Nokia phones in China. It's already happening.

They dont need to send their R&D team to MS to ask to do the standard stuff other OEM's already do. And replacing specific features of the OS for the Chinese market is already being done by MS, no need for a HARDWARE OEM to do that. And adding a few tiles and an OEM hub is far from customizing the UI which is what the original report is saying they want to do. And unless they are bringing the kind of assets Nokia has already done, I cant see why they should be granted any concessions.

tk-093

Aug 30, 2010
Visit site
They dont need to send their R&D team to MS to ask to do the standard stuff other OEM's already do. And replacing specific features of the OS for the Chinese market is already being done by MS, no need for a HARDWARE OEM to do that. And adding a few tiles and an OEM hub is far from customizing the UI which is what the original report is saying they want to do. And unless they are bringing the kind of assets Nokia has already done, I cant see why they should be granted any concessions.

Because the Chinese market is HUGE and if you have to make changes to play ball in China you do it.

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
Because the Chinese market is HUGE and if you have to make changes to play ball in China you do it.

The global market is huge, and Samsung is no 1, dont see them asking to muck up the UI. Size alone is not enough, not at though OEM's like ZTE dont exist.

jfa1

Dec 15, 2007
Visit site
There's nothing wrong with trying to get as much as they can I think its called capitalism life liberty and pursuit of happiness or as I say the principle is the principal (non administrator i.e the money)

tk-093

Aug 30, 2010
Visit site
The thing is... are they actually wanting to change the UI? I think people are just assuming that. So far all I've read is they want to replace the XBOX Live and Twitter integration with specific Chinese type apps. This is something I thought was already being done on Windows phones. Xbox Live being replaced by TENCENT QQ Game Hall on Chinese Nokia Windows Phones | WMPoweruser

The global market is huge, and Samsung is no 1, dont see them asking to muck up the UI. Size alone is not enough, not at though OEM's like ZTE dont exist.

socialcarpet

Banned
Apr 4, 2012
Visit site
Let them remove Xbox Live and Twitter in Chinese markets, give them their own shade of live tile. Stuff like that I could care less about. As long as they are not permitted to install ANY bloat/crapware that cannot be deleted or make any changes to how the GUI works, especially changes which could affect performance cause any graphical anomalies with other apps or delay OS updates.

Anything like that which treads into Android territory is unacceptable. Skins should be verboten, of course, that should go without saying. The minute Microsoft lets someone skin WP8 or install bloatware you can't delete, then WP8 has "jumped the shark" as they say. It's too slippery a slope that leads right into a low quality Android-like user experience, and then I'll be going to the Apple Store for my next phone. Don't do it Microsoft. :mad:

12Danny123

Mar 24, 2012
Visit site
Let them remove Xbox Live and Twitter in Chinese markets, give them their own shade of live tile. Stuff like that I could care less about. As long as they are not permitted to install ANY bloat/crapware that cannot be deleted or make any changes to how the GUI works, especially changes which could affect performance cause any graphical anomalies with other apps or delay OS updates.

Anything like that which treads into Android territory is unacceptable. Skins should be verboten, of course, that should go without saying. The minute Microsoft lets someone skin WP8 or install bloatware you can't delete, then WP8 has "jumped the shark" as they say. It's too slippery a slope that leads right into a low quality Android-like user experience, and then I'll be going to the Apple Store for my next phone. Don't do it Microsoft. :mad:

I don't think they'll do it. Don't be mad mate. Gud oll nz cheer up :)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mducros