Your most exciting feature you want on windows phone 8

Guy4Tech

Jul 7, 2012
Visit site
I would like to see more carriers adopt and push more for windows 8 phones. Right now it seems slim pickings. I think they should also go make their own hardware like they are doing to their tablet. I think that was a smart move. Google is moving that way now that they have bought Motorola mobility and Apple has done it from the start. Hardware built for the software is always going to be a winner.

Mike @ Guy4Tech.com

HeyCori

Mod Emeritus
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
I would like to see better SkyDrive integration. The current app limits functionality when you sign in with a Live account that's not the same Live account you set the phone up with. Some files like pictures will open fine but Office documents won't open at all. I hope WP8 fixes that or I hope they fix the app itself.

Speaking of Office... I want Microsoft to include more formatting options in Word. The current pickings are quite slim. Navigating the Office hub also needs to be improved.

I would like to see built-in video editing tools (and better video cameras). Also, the ability to email my videos via text or email.

kittshelby

Dec 29, 2011
Visit site
This is not the feature I'm most excited about but I'm surprised no one has mentioned this anywhere before: Just like on Windows 8, I expect WP8 to have picture password. I think it's almost guaranteed. It makes sense and it'd be a very cool feature.

Am I the only one who's expecting this?

12Danny123

Mar 24, 2012
Visit site
This is not the feature I'm most excited about but I'm surprised no one has mentioned this anywhere before: Just like on Windows 8, I expect WP8 to have picture password. I think it's almost guaranteed. It makes sense and it'd be a very cool feature.

Likely they would do that

12Danny123

Mar 24, 2012
Visit site
i would like multiple home screens and home screen layouts. Like the wp7 start screen. The wp8 one and a linkedin app interface.you guys seen the linkedin ui.very good. I think that shou be a optional home screen layout

Guzzler3

May 4, 2012
Visit site
Two things:

1. MicroSD card support, so I can have all my music locally.
2. UMA (Unlicensed Mobile Access) WiFi calling, so I can talk without using my voice minutes.

I know #1 is coming, but #2 is still a question if any handset mfg will include the UMA chip sets.

scottcraft

Aug 1, 2011
Visit site
I know it's a controversial issue on these boards, but I'd like to see improved notifications. I'm currently using an android due to problems with my WP and for me android does notifications way better. I'm not saying WP needs to do it just like android, but I'd like to have some way of knowing which app gave me that notification when I was in another room.

Better skydrive integration would be nice too.

socialcarpet

Banned
Apr 4, 2012
Visit site
The things I'm most excited about are mostly pretty simple stuff:

-The new home screen with resizable tiles to fit more (which we'll get in 7.8! Yay!)
-Separate volume controls for music/ringer/alerts
-Faster, more robust app switching/multitasking
-Lockable screen orientation
-Support for higher resolutions. I really want 1280x720 on my next phone.
-Apps: Specifically I want Citrix Receiver and some 3rd party browsers that ARE NOT based on IE.

If it has all those things, I'll be very happy.

Some "would likes" but not critical for me:

-Folders, and maybe a way to store files locally in folders that will auto sync with SkyDrive.

-Better games. I don't play games on the phone much now, so it's a minor point, but I'm sure WP8 is going to bring some great ones.

-Ability to re-map the search button to Google instead of Bing (sorry Microsoft) unless Bing gets A LOT better. Unless you're going to do something amazing with Bing and soon, please let me choose my own default search and let me re-program that button. Aside from image search, Bing doesn't equal Google on anything at this point. I might even want to reprogram that button to launch IE or another app. Would be nice if I could do that. Not a deal breaker by any means though and I know there's a snowballs chance in **** that Microsoft is ever going to relinquish control of the magic BING button.

-I'd love to see some native built in Log Me In type remote access, so I could interact with my PC, easily do things on it, stream video from it, download/upload files. I use a Mac now primarily, but some really cool WP8-->Win 8 features like this could convince me to build myself a desktop PC for home use.

The rest of my wishes are more hardware than software, i.e. a PureView camera on a Nokia phone with 1280x720 resolution and a 4.3" or smaller screen (slightly smaller form factor than the Lumia 900 if possible, or at least no bigger)

socialcarpet

Banned
Apr 4, 2012
Visit site

Hadn't thought about it. Would be cool though, sure.

socialcarpet

Banned
Apr 4, 2012
Visit site
What is ur most excitin feature you want in wp8?
Mine is customization

What do you want to customize specifically?

This isn't an issue for me personally. Being able to resize live tiles and a few more colors to choose from (We'll be getting both in 7.8) is really all I'd want or need.

If I can change my default search engine to Google instead of Bing, that would be nice too, but I'm not counting on it. :lol:

Outside of that, too much customization makes me a little nervous. I don't want to see WP turn into a chaotic mess like Android with OEM's, carriers and users all doing crazy customizations. That's what Android is for. One of the key features I chose WP for is consistency in the UI.

12Danny123

Mar 24, 2012
Visit site
What do you want to customize specifically?

This isn't an issue for me personally. Being able to resize live tiles and a few more colors to choose from (We'll be getting both in 7.8) is really all I'd want or need.

If I can change my default search engine to Google instead of Bing, that would be nice too, but I'm not counting on it. :lol:

Outside of that, too much customization makes me a little nervous. I don't want to see WP turn into a chaotic mess like Android with OEM's, carriers and users all doing crazy customizations. That's what Android is for. One of the key features I chose WP for is consistency in the UI.
Ummm............ More like colours like a colour wheel you get to pick whatever you want

PG2G

Dec 20, 2010
Visit site
-I'd love to see some native built in Log Me In type remote access, so I could interact with my PC, easily do things on it, stream video from it, download/upload files. I use a Mac now primarily, but some really cool WP8-->Win 8 features like this could convince me to build myself a desktop PC for home use.

There is this

You will also be able to navigate into your phone’s storage using the SkyDrive devices functionality, just as you can with Windows PCs, and copy content (like camera-taken photos) back and forth seamlessly.

Which seems like what you want, but backwards. Presumably, SkyDrive should allow you to do what you're asking through. I guess the app just needs to be developed enough to support it.

HTML 5 code support, although I'm not going to use it i'm sure some developers will

I was kind of surprised when they only talked C# and C++ during the Windows Phone Summit. I guess that means HTML 5 won't be supported for app development. Seems kind of stupid, since that would mean problems porting HTML5 Windows 8 apps over.

pdjcrawford

Apr 16, 2012
Visit site
Hardly exciting to most I'm sure but I'd love to see more options to define volume at the action level. Yes, I come here from Symbian where you could have different volumes (or none at all) for pretty much any phone function or app and this is still the most annoying limitation of WP7.x for me. I find that my phone is most often on vibrate only as one sound or another is too loud when I set the volume for another feature.

Tell me I'm not alone here!!

kylej1050

Jun 27, 2011
Visit site
Bluetooth API, its all I want. I suppose I could connect my embedded projects via WiFi or Ethernet but that's more expensive or a pain to implement.

Sent from my HTC Arrive using Board Express

socialcarpet

Banned
Apr 4, 2012
Visit site
Ummm............ More like colours like a colour wheel you get to pick whatever you want

I think we'll see more colors choices for sure, I think that is even planned for 7.8.

As far as a color wheel, being able to choose whatever shade you want, I don't think they will do that. The reason is that the color you choose will be used for the tiles and in all the accent coloring throughout the OS. The issue there is that if you choose a color that is too dark/dim, it will be hard to see/read in text on black backgrounds. The accent color has to be one that "pops" a little against the black backgrounds and stands apart from the white text, otherwise it won't look right. That's why there are no dark gray tiles.

Also colors that are too light would make the white text on the tiles too hard to read.

One way to solve that would be to offer separate color choices for tiles and accent colors perhaps.

That said, I think there's definitely room for more tile/accent colors and we will see them, but an infinitely adjustable spectrum is unlikely because of the reasons I laid out.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bentecdigital