Let's talk about carriers (USA)

illegaloperation

Nov 18, 2010
Visit site
In about three months, Windows Phone 8 devices will start to hit the stores. If your contract is up for renewal, this is a good time to think about cellular providers (specifically, the big four).

AT&T:
AT&T has always been the biggest supporter of Windows Phone. Up to now, AT&T has carried the latest and greatest Windows Phone and this is unlikely to change with the release with Windows Phone 8.

AT&T has the largest "4G" network. That means that it has the largest combined HSPA+ and LTE network. While its LTE network is smaller than those of Verizon Wireless, it has HSPA+ which it can fall back upon. Unfortunately, AT&T's coverage is not as extensive as Verizon Wireless and a few areas are only covered by EDGE.

Verizon Wireless:
Verizon Wireless has been very conservative about supporting Windows Phone. Verizon Wireless has traditionally been a big supporter of BlackBerry, but because of recent development from RIM/BlackBerry, Verizon Wireless has now chosen to support Windows Phone instead. As a result, Verizon Wireless is expected to carry at least one high end Windows Phone 8 device.

Verizon Wireless's LTE network is the largest of any carrier and is growing at an astonishing rate. Its LTE network is much faster than AT&T & T-Mobile HSPA+ network. Unfortunately, Verizon Wireless does not have any intermediate network between LTE and EV-DO, so it falls back on the much slower EV-DO network.

T-Mobile:
T-Mobile has also traditionally been a supporter of Windows Phone. T-Mobile has found success in selling mid-range Windows Phone. As a result, T-Mobile is expected to sell mid-range Windows Phone 8 devices. Because T-Mobile is rolling out HSPA+ in the 1900 Mhz band, most unlocked Windows Phone 8 devices will work on the carrier's HSPA+ network.

T-Mobile has been aggressive in rolling out its 42+ Mbps HSPA+ network. T-Mobile 42 Mbps HSPA+ is much faster than AT&T’s 21 Mbps HSPA+ network and Verizon Wireless’s EV-DO network, but is lower than AT&T’s and Verizon Wireless’s LTE network. T-Mobile network also has the smallest coverage of the big four carriers.

Sprint:
Sprint has not been a supporter of Windows Phone. After committing 15.5 billion dollars to Apple for the iPhone deal, Sprint will not likely show much enthusiasm for Windows Phone. Still, Sprint is expected to carry at least one Windows Phone 8 device.

Sprint’s 3G network is the slowest of any big four carriers. Sprint has also abandoned its WiMax network in favor of LTE. Its LTE coverage is much smaller than those of AT&T and Verizon Wireless. Outside its LTE coverage area, Sprint fall back on its excruciating slow and severely oversaturated EV-DO network.

12Danny123

Mar 24, 2012
Visit site
In about three months, Windows Phone 8 devices will start to hit the stores. If your contract is up for renewal, this is a good time to think about cellular providers (specifically, the big four).

AT&T:
AT&T has always been the biggest supporter of Windows Phone. Up to now, AT&T has carried the latest and greatest Windows Phone and this is unlikely to change with the release with Windows Phone 8.

AT&T has the largest "4G" network. That means that it has the largest combined HSPA+ and LTE network. While its LTE network is smaller than those of Verizon Wireless, it has HSPA+ which it can fall back upon. Unfortunately, AT&T's coverage is not as extensive as Verizon Wireless and a few areas are only covered by EDGE.

Verizon Wireless:
Verizon Wireless has been very conservative about supporting Windows Phone. Verizon Wireless has traditionally been a big supporter of BlackBerry, but because of recent development from RIM/BlackBerry, Verizon Wireless has now chosen to support Windows Phone instead. As a result, Verizon Wireless is expected to carry at least one high end Windows Phone 8 device.

Verizon Wireless's LTE network is the largest of any carrier and is growing at an astonishing rate. Its LTE network is much faster than AT&T & T-Mobile HSPA+ network. Unfortunately, Verizon Wireless does not have any intermediate network between LTE and EV-DO, so it falls back on the much slower EV-DO network.

T-Mobile:
T-Mobile has also traditionally been a supporter of Windows Phone. T-Mobile has found success in selling mid-range Windows Phone. As a result, T-Mobile is expected to sell mid-range Windows Phone 8 devices. Because T-Mobile is rolling out HSPA+ in the 1900 Mhz band, most unlocked Windows Phone 8 devices will work on the carrier's HSPA+ network.

T-Mobile has been aggressive in rolling out its 42+ Mbps HSPA+ network. T-Mobile 42 Mbps HSPA+ is much faster than AT&T’s 21 Mbps HSPA+ network and Verizon Wireless’s EV-DO network, but is lower than AT&T’s and Verizon Wireless’s LTE network. T-Mobile network also has the smallest coverage of the big four carriers.

Sprint:
Sprint has not been a supporter of Windows Phone. After committing 15.5 billion dollars to Apple for the iPhone deal, Sprint will not likely show much enthusiasm for Windows Phone. Still, Sprint is expected to carry at least one Windows Phone 8 device.

Sprint’s 3G network is the slowest of any big four carriers. Sprint has also abandoned its WiMax network in favor of LTE. Its LTE coverage is much smaller than those of AT&T and Verizon Wireless. Outside its LTE coverage area, Sprint fall back on its excruciating slow and severely oversaturated EV-DO network.
I do think that Verizon would carry more than one maybe 3 in enough for them

jdevenberg

Jul 19, 2011
Visit site
I think Verizon will have a high end device and at least one mid range. If they are going to try and replace blackberry with Windows phone, they really should have 3. One high end (to replace the tour line of traditional blackberry), a mid range (targeting Bold owners), and a low end (for those who would go for a curve). Now I'm not talking about form factor at all, just specs and price. I also ignored the torch line because they were a stopgap to combat iPhone and android.

AT&T will continue to offer a wide range of devices.

I think tmobile will expand its line up as it to turns to windows phone to replace its blackberry collection.

Sprint will likely offer one device at first and will expand to more depending on how sales are for their device and on other carriers, which is more or less what they did with Android.

Winterfang

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
I'm planing on going to T-mobile so I want at least one High end phone from there. Pureview most likely.

And I don't mean high end like HTC One S, I want the full Galaxy.

cckgz4

Aug 30, 2011
Visit site
At&t will probably be the biggest supporters. And while they are on the expensive side, their signal is more consistent out of the two I've tried (T-Mobile and sprint )

Duvi

Jan 1, 2011
Visit site
Love AT&T and hope Sprint becomes a big supporter. In Sprint's defense, I understand why they aren't supporting it like AT&T. That's a big investment for them.

12Danny123

Mar 24, 2012
Visit site
Lol. I think he wants WP8 on a Galaxy S3 hardware.

It's pretty obvious that Samsung would do that. Make a s3 windows phone and that's it. And maybe do some slight upgrades with the processor and maybe the camera or the screen size to 5 inches. Like a wp note version. In s3 hardware

illegaloperation

Nov 18, 2010
Visit site
I think AT&T will continue to show the most support.
In term of the number of Windows Phone, I have no doubt that that will be the case.

This site really needs a carrier discussion section.
I concurred.

I'm planing on going to T-mobile so I want at least one High end phone from there. Pureview most likely.
IF T-Mobile doesn't get a high end Windows Phone, you can always buy an unlocked device since T-Mobile is rolling out HSPA+ on the 1900 Mhz band.

Love AT&T and hope Sprint becomes a big supporter. In Sprint's defense, I understand why they aren't supporting it like AT&T. That's a big investment for them.
After spending 15.5 billion dollars it doesn't have on the iPhone, I am not surprise.

A WP in galaxy s3 hardware would be sweet!

Sent from my Rezound
I hope not. The Galaxy S III is ugly! I rather have one that looks similar to the Samsung Galaxy Nexus.

It's pretty obvious that Samsung would do that. Make a s3 windows phone and that's it. And maybe do some slight upgrades with the processor and maybe the camera or the screen size to 5 inches. Like a wp note version. In s3 hardware
Why are phone screens becoming massive? 4.3 inch was incredibly huge just a few years ago.

sooooo..... f*** Sprint?
Well, Sprint is already screwed since its EV-DO is slower AT&T's EDGE and 15.5 billion dollars is going to Apple instead of going to building LTE towers.

jasqid

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
I've been with sprint since 99. Even with unlimited data, I am considering moving on. The last few years and up to recently these little things have just added up to enough to piss me off.

Dog slow data.
Changing my family plan in mid contract (changed the way the discount is applied costing me another $4.50/month.
Doing away with premiere upgrades..
Advertizing my model phone for trade in after I buy it.

I luv WP. Wish i had a different model phone than this arrive... and with recent news from media and even their executives, it sounds like it will be a while before we see new wp phones. I think sprint likes being an iPhone whore and android beotch.

I didnt know what I was missing until I activated my Xoom 4g tablet on verizon. Just a matter of time before I migrate my lines over to the Verizon account. 2etfs with a year to go is still too rich for me.

12Danny123

Mar 24, 2012
Visit site
I've been with sprint since 99. Even with unlimited data, I am considering moving on. The last few years and up to recently these little things have just added up to enough to piss me off.

Dog slow data.
Changing my family plan in mid contract (changed the way the discount is applied costing me another $4.50/month.
Doing away with premiere upgrades..
Advertizing my model phone for trade in after I buy it.

I luv WP. Wish i had a different model phone than this arrive... and with recent news from media and even their executives, it sounds like it will be a while before we see new wp phones. I think sprint likes being an iPhone whore and android beotch.

I didnt know what I was missing until I activated my Xoom 4g tablet on verizon. Just a matter of time before I migrate my lines over to the Verizon account. 2etfs with a year to go is still too rich for me.

What phone do you want and what carrier. Try to get a pureview

selfcreation

Dec 16, 2010
Visit site
who ever has the phone I want is getting my $$ ... screw the network. lol

- I live in a major city so networks means nothing.( all the same )
- they all screw you on your monthly bill so w/e
- I never call them so I dont care about the customer service.

Come on Supper AMOLED HD, With Pureview camera , Quad-core , 3D with 32Gig. lol

I wish :cool:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss