DirectX, who cares...

Wacft

Jul 18, 2011
Visit site
Am I the only one that got excited about the potential of games in WP8 due to DirectX but then realised there is no mention of better controls for the games? I mean where is my mini xbox controller that is bluetooth? Maybe a dock style controller that also is an extended battery. On screens controlls are terrible for any game using dual sticks and they take away from valuable screen real estate. Or what about the Xbox phone that does what the xperia play should have done for sony. Its issues like this one that are keeping Xbox gamers from adopting WP IMO. Yest to DirectX, but yes to better Controls as well!

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
The challenge with different controls is that they won't be available to the entire user base. And when all is said and done, developers want their games to be playable by anyone who owns the device. When you add peripherals of any sort as a necessity to play the game, you severely limit the size of your audience.

If the WP market share gets to above 25%, then things may change. At that point, niche games requiring peripherals may still attract a large enough audience to make money.

Wacft

Jul 18, 2011
Visit site
I 100pct agree with what you said. I was never suggesting stop doing the on screen controls and Im sorry for it coming across that way. But there should be the option to have better controls and I think it should be a high priority. And it should be standardized by Microsoft just like the phones are.

And please no one post the suction cup joysticks. I want a "real" controller either BT or integrated.

mb-dape

Feb 7, 2012
Visit site
I did see a pretty cool thing the other day, a friend with an HTC One X, hooked up to the TV via HDMI and then he could play games with a wireless Playstation 3 controller (bluetooth). He played Max Payne, GTA III and some other shooter. As I understood it, the games themself did not support bluetooth controller, it was the OS + an app that made it work and he could map buttons etc.

I was surprised how well it worked. But I can tell you that the phone was smoking hot after an hour with Max Payne. :)

greensea

May 29, 2012
Visit site
gaming on pads and phones is like watching pirated cam movies on a laptop ( you do it, probably enjoy it but don't know what you're missing) . should get the real experience from the theatre (pc, ps3, xbox, wii )

AngryNil

Mar 3, 2012
Visit site
I'm not going to carry around controllers when I'm playing games on my phone. I care because we can now have high-performance games shared across W8 & WP8 (and perhaps the next Xbox).

based_graham

Oct 12, 2011
Visit site
If very excited for DX the possibility of games like Trials HD, Castle Crashers and other awesome XBLA titles available on your Windows Phone is a win.

geekmaster

Apr 24, 2012
Visit site
it was kinda confusing to see autodesk as a direct x partner. i thought they were strictly a modeling and designing software company, not one that makes game engines. my dad is structural steel detailer so i will ask him more about it.

AngryNil

Mar 3, 2012
Visit site
it was kinda confusing to see autodesk as a direct x partner. i thought they were strictly a modeling and designing software company, not one that makes game engines. my dad is structural steel detailer so i will ask him more about it.
I believe 3ds Max can be used for game graphics.

CommonBlob

Jul 18, 2011
Visit site
would love to see xbox compatible, then hook up to TV for large screen gaming!

Although I do have an xbox....so maybe its not needed.

jhguth

Sep 26, 2012
Visit site
My favorite mobile games always have pretty simple graphics, I'm more involved in the story or puzzle. I just want to pass the time while I'm taking a poop, I'm not trying to dominate some noobs on the latest FPS.

anthonyng

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
I have so little time to play games, I can only play turn based stuff like AlphaJax or Words with friends, King of the Sea and Great Big War Game right now.

The more multiplayer, cross platform, turn based games, the better for me.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
powerupgo