Will WP8 beat this?

selfcreation

Dec 16, 2010
Visit site
I agree that the live tiles is not *optimal * for notification but im confident that that's the direction MS is heading , specially with the enhance live tiles and Lock screen coming in 7.8/8. And i believe we will continue to see enhancements to LIVE tiles.

scrolling on your UI to see the different live tiles is all about the customizing part, top = most important and bottom not so much. I use to have fun just scrolling up and down on my UI so this to me doesn't really bother me , hehe

considering we will now be able to see the txt/e-mail directly on the tiles is gona be nice. and the more DEV's relies this and the time goes the better it will get!!

having to rely on DEV's to implement live tiles is maybe not the best move doh, should almost be a per-requisite from MS. ( depending on App category)

regarding SIRI, i really do thinks its over rated, I for one much rather navigate my phone then talk to it. and most of the people I know on Iphone 4S dont even use SIRI unless they are trying to find a reason why their phone is *better*

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
That would be disastrous. We need WP8 to hit hard at launch with amazing features and hardware.

I'm pretty sure it will. But it's impossible to throw everything and the kitchen sink into the next iteration, with no room for improvement. There will always be more to add.

But since it's using the NT kernel, the possibilities are almost limitless in what it can potentially do. And I'm sure that there is some awesome stuff being developed that just won't be ready at launch.

But the stuff that we'll see at launch will be robust and great in its own right.

Devs will have access to the lockscreen. A simple icon with a number would be enough for me. Then I know I have something to check inside the corresponding app. As it is now, the toast notification just disappear meaning I may miss a lot of stuff.

I agree that notifications could use some improvement.

selfcreation

Dec 16, 2010
Visit site
im actually expecting WP8 to not be so *good* at launch , sadly I think its gona take a few months to start seeing a real improvement to apps/games and specially to take advantige of the new hardware..

you guys remember mango = quick resume.. took 2-3month easy if not more for us to really start takign advantige of it on MOST apps/games.

hopefully DEV's will tackle the Beta/Emulator of WP8 and be ready for it ( in a perfect world)

12Danny123

Mar 24, 2012
Visit site
im actually expecting WP8 to not be so *good* at launch , sadly I think its gona take a few months to start seeing a real improvement to apps/games and specially to take advantige of the new hardware..

you guys remember mango = quick resume.. took 2-3month easy if not more for us to really start takign advantige of it on MOST apps/games.

hopefully DEV's will tackle the Beta/Emulator of WP8 and be ready for it ( in a perfect world)
well. it does take time. but not everyone is perfect at launch Alex. you know that. but with MS launching Windows 8 and wp8. MS is going dead serious with this. so no Errors at launch. no not at this time

geekmaster

Apr 24, 2012
Visit site
well. it does take time. but not everyone is perfect at launch Alex. you know that. but with MS launching Windows 8 and wp8. MS is going dead serious with this. so no Errors at launch. no not at this time

speaking of not messing this up. where are the visual cues to do tasks in windows 8 right now. They are simply not there. Casual users will desperately need those in windows 8.

Matchoo

Oct 30, 2011
Visit site
I agree that the live tiles is not *optimal * for notification but im confident that that's the direction MS is heading , specially with the enhance live tiles and Lock screen coming in 7.8/8. And i believe we will continue to see enhancements to LIVE tiles.

scrolling on your UI to see the different live tiles is all about the customizing part, top = most important and bottom not so much. I use to have fun just scrolling up and down on my UI so this to me doesn't really bother me , hehe

considering we will now be able to see the txt/e-mail directly on the tiles is gona be nice. and the more DEV's relies this and the time goes the better it will get!!

having to rely on DEV's to implement live tiles is maybe not the best move doh, should almost be a per-requisite from MS. ( depending on App category)

regarding SIRI, i really do thinks its over rated, I for one much rather navigate my phone then talk to it. and most of the people I know on Iphone 4S dont even use SIRI unless they are trying to find a reason why their phone is *better*

I still have my 4S and I use Siri ALL the time. It comes in handy for texting while I'm driving, setting reminders, calendar events and such. That being said, if I was to not drive I'd probably have no use for Siri.

dkp23

Feb 3, 2012
Visit site
I hate these stupid comparison videos. Its like .002 seconds faster is going to make a difference. Who gives a flying fug about how .020340233233423 seconds faster one platform is.

what they need to show is what one platform can do and want cant it do, not how fast you can find out how tall kobe bryant is. So stupid.

I am not a big fan of voice anyway, i rarely ever use it other than calling when im driving :eek:, but i never see anybody use it in public. Nice feature to have, but overall, think it is overrated on all platforms.

Mr_pither

Nov 9, 2011
Visit site
Wrong, can do that too.
How? "Play artist _____" just launches a Bing search. what is the tellme command for this???

I say "Open Music" and it launches the app then nothing happens.

I want to be able to tell the phone to play an artist or album, or shuffle a playlist. Seems easy enough. Siri has no trouble with this simple task.

cckgz4

Aug 30, 2011
Visit site
I don't think it needs to beat the competition but more so find it's niche in the field of phones. Instead of trying to show what it can do better with similar features, show off the unique factor of metro UI on top of mentioning the similar features that the competition has

snowmutt

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
I don't think it needs to beat the competition but more so find it's niche in the field of phones. Instead of trying to show what it can do better with similar features, show off the unique factor of metro UI on top of mentioning the similar features that the competition has
With you on that one. Tends to happen a lot, cc.

Voice recognition is indeed the wave of the future for Mobile devices, as the whole idea of "mobile" is to give you quick, easy access to information on the go. Voice recon will do that WHEN it improves to that point. But, no way are we there yet. Apple does get points for being the first with pushing it. Basically, Siri was the ONLY real reason to get a 4S instead of a 4. (Duel core processor was just to keep up with Google, camera was great but no better than the 4.)

What WP8 needs to do with TellMe (which I truly almost never use except on short 3 or 4 word text messages) is not fall behind. It needs to be easily optimized for what the user wants his phone to do most. Some use it as a work device- needs to be able to open Office documents. Some use it as a mp3 player- needs to be able to open music as Mr_Pither wants. So long as basic commands are carried out flawlessly, MS has a hit. An outstanding Metro experience, more functions in the actual OS, outstanding top end hardware, and better notifications are all more important to the future of Windows Phone right now.

schlubadub

Dec 15, 2011
Visit site
As for just voice recognition itself, TellMe is top notch.

Sorry, I disagree... the TellMe voice recognition is average at best. I consider myself to be a very well-spoken Australian (i.e. I don't sound like Crocodile Dundee or Steve Irwin) and it has a hard time understanding basic words.

For example "Call Mum" .... "Can't find that contact *unnecessarily pauses for 5 seconds and disconnects*" I repeat this process several times, drawling out mum to muuuuuuuuuuum, saying it at different volumes, holding the headset microphone closer or further away, and it still doesn't work. Then I put on a nasal american accent and say "Call Moooooooooooooooom" and finally (after at least 2-3 minutes of trying) it says, in it's female British accent, "Calling Mum" FFFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUU >_< >_< >_<

The same thing with "Carl". If I say it like a normal person it doesn't understand. If I over-pronounce my r's like an American it eventually understands me. i.e. Carrrrrl

You would think that it wouldn't be that difficult to understand such basic words in English (as opposed to US-English) and that if it can't understand something then give you the chance to re-say it, instead of waiting 5 seconds before disconnecting and then you have to hold down the command button to try again.

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
Sorry, I disagree... the TellMe voice recognition is average at best. I consider myself to be a very well-spoken Australian (i.e. I don't sound like Crocodile Dundee or Steve Irwin) and it has a hard time understanding basic words.

For example "Call Mum" .... "Can't find that contact *unnecessarily pauses for 5 seconds and disconnects*" I repeat this process several times, drawling out mum to muuuuuuuuuuum, saying it at different volumes, holding the headset microphone closer or further away, and it still doesn't work. Then I put on a nasal american accent and say "Call Moooooooooooooooom" and finally (after at least 2-3 minutes of trying) it says, in it's female British accent, "Calling Mum" FFFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUU >_< >_< >_<

The same thing with "Carl". If I say it like a normal person it doesn't understand. If I over-pronounce my r's like an American it eventually understands me. i.e. Carrrrrl

You would think that it wouldn't be that difficult to understand such basic words in English (as opposed to US-English) and that if it can't understand something then give you the chance to re-say it, instead of waiting 5 seconds before disconnecting and then you have to hold down the command button to try again.

TellMe overall is pretty good for different accents. But also consider that voice recognition technology is still in its early stages. There A LOT more that needs to be done. But TellMe is right there at the top of what exists today.

eric12341

Dec 1, 2009
Visit site
How? "Play artist _____" just launches a Bing search. what is the tellme command for this???

I say "Open Music" and it launches the app then nothing happens.

I want to be able to tell the phone to play an artist or album, or shuffle a playlist. Seems easy enough. Siri has no trouble with this simple task.

Siri is a gimmick,TellMe does everything any person should expect it to do, anything else is just show or pure laziness.

Has no trouble understanding what I have to say and I don't have the general American accent.

Rich Edmonds

PC Editor
Dec 13, 2010
Visit site
I have never been able to do anything faster by speaking to my phone than by touching the screen
Pretty much my thoughts. I still don't see the whole point behind speech control for smartphones. I can click, say "Yo dawg. What's the weather on the Moon?" and wait for the system to compute my results, or launch Weather Flow and check the data almost immediately (better yet - glance at the already-pinned Live Tile). I know which I'd rather use. I prefer to enjoy the Windows Phone experience.

blackprince

Feb 28, 2011
Visit site
Pretty much my thoughts. I still don't see the whole point behind speech control for smartphones. I can click, say "Yo dawg. What's the weather on the Moon?" and wait for the system to compute my results, or launch Weather Flow and check the data almost immediately (better yet - glance at the already-pinned Live Tile). I know which I'd rather use. I prefer to enjoy the Windows Phone experience.
Live tiles wins every time. By the time someone has finished asking their iPhone or Nexus what the weather is, you've already unlocked your phone, scrolled to your live tile, seen the weather and locked your phone again.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ailanamargarett