Welcome to the Windows Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree33Likes

I'm a real WP fan and I didn't use an iPhone or a Android phone since more then a year. I just saw the following video and realized how much our os is behind the other two operating systems (threre are a lot more missing features like file type registrations, notification center, ...).

Do you think WP8 will beat this?

Global Posts
    4,448 Global Posts
    PIN
    No
    Siri is overrated. When I'm messing around with it, it will sometimes work. When I NEED it to work, it never does.

Notifications are different by design on WP7. Stop thinking iOS and android style notifications. Your start screen tiles are your notification center.
    Mod Emeritus

Global Posts
    5,300 Global Posts
    We know where Microsoft wants to take TellMe but we don't know how far along they are. However, it wouldn't surprise me if TellMe got a significant update in WP8, one that can interact with Windows 8.
    soulzero likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by sinime View Post
    Siri is overrated. When I'm messing around with it, it will sometimes work. When I NEED it to work, it never does.

Notifications are different by design on WP7. Stop thinking iOS and android style notifications. Your start screen tiles are your notification center.

I couldn't have said it myself, WP8 is going to have voice prompts that call on specific functions within apps, we can already launch apps with our voice.

Global Posts
    120 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by eric12341 View Post
    I couldn't have said it myself, WP8 is going to have voice prompts that call on specific functions within apps, we can already launch apps with our voice.
    But we can't launch music... that needs to be fixed. Maybe Ziggy will catch it.
    at&t fired up LTE in my area only 1 year later than promised!

Quote Originally Posted by sinime View Post

You're right, but I don't like to pin all my apps only to avoid missing push messages. And in addition I don't see the content of the messages, only the count... At the very minimum the push messages should stay on the screen until the users clicks on ok.
    Thanked by:

Global Posts
    4,448 Global Posts
    PIN
    No
    Quote Originally Posted by rsuter View Post
    You're right, but I don't like to pin all my apps only to avoid missing push messages. And in addition I don't see the content of the messages, only the count... At the very minimum the push messages should stay on the screen until the users clicks on ok.
    I thought I read somewhere that the messaging and/or email tile on WP8 could be stretched to a full length tile that would show content of the messages?
    My Apps: PIP (WP8 - Compass / Flashlight), Meme 8 Ball (WP8), UnClocked (WP8.1 - Themed Live Tile Clock)
    Mod and Ambassador Team Emeritus

Global Posts
    7,163 Global Posts
    I think we will all be happily surprised with what can be done with WP8. Sadly though I think we are looking at another 6 to 8 months of mediocrity with WP8. I hope I'm wrong but Microsoft doesn't have a history of being ready at launch.

To answer your question I think WP8 is going to eventually blow away the competition.
    Thanked by:
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr_pither View Post
    But we can't launch music... that needs to be fixed. Maybe Ziggy will catch it.

Wrong, can do that too.

Global Posts
    153 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by eric12341 View Post
    Wrong, can do that too.
    what are you specifically supposed to say to start music in tellme? i have tried countless times to do this. lots of the time i get error messages
    Windows phone 8. Born in the year of our lord twenty twelve

Global Posts
    449 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Blake View Post
    I think we will all be happily surprised with what can be done with WP8. Sadly though I think we are looking at another 6 to 8 months of mediocrity with WP8. I hope I'm wrong but Microsoft doesn't have a history of being ready at launch.

To answer your question I think WP8 is going to eventually blow away the competition.
    Are you suggesting the first version of WP8 will suck and we'll need to wait for WP8.1 to be satisfied? Do you base your opinion on MS's past or something else?

Quote Originally Posted by Figure 8 Dash View Post
    We know where Microsoft wants to take TellMe but we don't know how far along they are. However, it wouldn't surprise me if TellMe got a significant update in WP8, one that can interact with Windows 8.
    I used to work for a company that had its own voice recognition technology. So we had some researchers that were really into this stuff. They told me that they went to conference where they got to delve deep into TellMe and they were pretty blown away with what they were shown. So I have high hopes.

I think that the stuff that we've seen in the TellMe video where they show what the future of TellMe is supposed to be probably already exists in a lab. They're just looking for the best way to implement it.

As for just voice recognition itself, TellMe is top notch. What you see with stuff like Siri isn't so much about voice recognition, but instead a huge tree of choices that exist in order to narrow down what it thinks you are talking about. It's a huge undertaking, and there's a good reason that Siri came out as a "Beta." MS likely doesn't want to release their version as a Beta. But Apple probably wanted to be first to market.

And if anyone hasn't see the TellMe video for what MS has planned...
    [YT]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iB6pWs46GY8&hd=1[/YT]
    Last edited by Winning Guy; 07-19-2012 at 01:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by vp710 View Post
    Are you suggesting the first version of WP8 will suck and we'll need to wait for WP8.1 to be satisfied? Do you base your opinion on MS's past or something else?
    I don't think he's saying WP8 will suck. I think he's saying some of the groundbreaking amazingly awesome stuff might come later than launch.
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    3,304 Global Posts
    live tiles = notification center....
    If your looking for Information, be sure to check out: WindowsPhone: Getting started!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    If one of our Members helps you, be sure to THANK him or her!

Global Posts
    3,034 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Se1fcr3ation View Post
    Disagree, since its up to the dev to implement live tiles in their app and if they dont, no notification. Ebay for instance, does a toast but if you miss it, no other notification as the tile is not live. And if a tile is way down on your screen you have to scroll all the way to see it. A central place for notifications can complement live tiles and even be expanded so you can see more of the notification so you can decide if you want to open the app or not. Both can work together to make a comprehensive notification system, no need to be limited to one if possible.
    Thanked by:
    rsuter 
    snowmutt and scottcraft like this.

Global Posts
    449 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Winning Guy View Post
    I don't think he's saying WP8 will suck. I think he's saying some of the groundbreaking amazingly awesome stuff might come later than launch.
    That would be disastrous. We need WP8 to hit hard at launch with amazing features and hardware.

Quote Originally Posted by theefman View Post
    Disagree, since its up to the dev to implement live tiles in their app and if they dont, no notification. Ebay for instance, does a toast but if you miss it, no other notification as the tile is not live. And if a tile is way down on your screen you have to scroll all the way to see it. A central place for notifications can complement live tiles and even be expanded so you can see more of the notification so you can decide if you want to open the app or not. Both can work together to make a comprehensive notification system, no need to be limited to one if possible.
    Devs will have access to the lockscreen. A simple icon with a number would be enough for me. Then I know I have something to check inside the corresponding app. As it is now, the toast notification just disappear meaning I may miss a lot of stuff.

Global Posts
    2,280 Global Posts
    I agree. tiles is the main things. but there should be a option to enable a notification center at least
    - Xbox Account: SocialDanny123 Twitter: @SuDanny123

Lived in LA USA now moved to Auckland New Zealand :-)

Other devices:
    Nexus 5
    IPhone 5C
    Blackberry Z10

[IMG][/IMG]

Global Posts
    2,280 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Winning Guy View Post
    I used to work for a company that had its own voice recognition technology. So we had some researchers that were really into this stuff. They told me that they went to conference where they got to delve deep into TellMe and they were pretty blown away with what they were shown. So I have high hopes.

I think that the stuff that we've seen in the TellMe video where they show what the future of TellMe is supposed to be probably already exists in a lab. They're just looking for the best way to implement it.

As for just voice recognition itself, TellMe is top notch. What you see with stuff like Siri isn't so much about voice recognition, but instead a huge tree of choices that exist in order to narrow down what it thinks you are talking about. It's a huge undertaking, and there's a good reason that Siri came out as a "Beta." MS likely doesn't want to release their version as a Beta. But Apple probably wanted to be first to market.

And if anyone hasn't see the TellMe video for what MS has planned...
    I really think that video can actually bash siri's offerings

Other devices:
    Nexus 5
    IPhone 5C
    Blackberry Z10

[IMG][/IMG]
    snowmutt likes this.

No I personally don't think it will.

I don't think WP8 voice is going to be Siri/Google Voice good for the following reason

I think MS wants people to understand how to use Metro efficiently using voice everywhere isn't as fast as doing it yourself.

But you can expect voice commands to specific applications like Nokia Drive where you can ask to go to Wendys and it will find you directions and map it for you.

Global Posts
    2,280 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by based_graham View Post
    No I personally don't think it will.

I don't think WP8 voice is going to be Siri/Google Voice good for the following reason

I think MS wants people to understand how to use Metro efficiently using voice everywhere isn't as fast as doing it yourself.

But you can expect voice commands to specific applications like Nokia Drive where you can ask to go to Wendys and it will find you directions and map it for you.
    well. MS needs to catch up with voice commands. every where Google and IOS goes. MS follows the competition

Other devices:
    Nexus 5
    IPhone 5C
    Blackberry Z10

[IMG][/IMG]
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    3,304 Global Posts
    I agree that the live tiles is not *optimal * for notification but im confident that that's the direction MS is heading , specially with the enhance live tiles and Lock screen coming in 7.8/8. And i believe we will continue to see enhancements to LIVE tiles.

scrolling on your UI to see the different live tiles is all about the customizing part, top = most important and bottom not so much. I use to have fun just scrolling up and down on my UI so this to me doesn't really bother me , hehe

considering we will now be able to see the txt/e-mail directly on the tiles is gona be nice. and the more DEV's relies this and the time goes the better it will get!!

having to rely on DEV's to implement live tiles is maybe not the best move doh, should almost be a per-requisite from MS. ( depending on App category)

regarding SIRI, i really do thinks its over rated, I for one much rather navigate my phone then talk to it. and most of the people I know on Iphone 4S dont even use SIRI unless they are trying to find a reason why their phone is *better*
    If your looking for Information, be sure to check out: WindowsPhone: Getting started!

Thanked by:

Quote Originally Posted by vp710 View Post
    That would be disastrous. We need WP8 to hit hard at launch with amazing features and hardware.
    I'm pretty sure it will. But it's impossible to throw everything and the kitchen sink into the next iteration, with no room for improvement. There will always be more to add.

But since it's using the NT kernel, the possibilities are almost limitless in what it can potentially do. And I'm sure that there is some awesome stuff being developed that just won't be ready at launch.

But the stuff that we'll see at launch will be robust and great in its own right.

Devs will have access to the lockscreen. A simple icon with a number would be enough for me. Then I know I have something to check inside the corresponding app. As it is now, the toast notification just disappear meaning I may miss a lot of stuff.
    I agree that notifications could use some improvement.
    eric12341 likes this.
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    3,304 Global Posts
    im actually expecting WP8 to not be so *good* at launch , sadly I think its gona take a few months to start seeing a real improvement to apps/games and specially to take advantige of the new hardware..

you guys remember mango = quick resume.. took 2-3month easy if not more for us to really start takign advantige of it on MOST apps/games.

hopefully DEV's will tackle the Beta/Emulator of WP8 and be ready for it ( in a perfect world)

Global Posts
    2,280 Global Posts
    im actually expecting WP8 to not be so *good* at launch , sadly I think its gona take a few months to start seeing a real improvement to apps/games and specially to take advantige of the new hardware..

you guys remember mango = quick resume.. took 2-3month easy if not more for us to really start takign advantige of it on MOST apps/games.

hopefully DEV's will tackle the Beta/Emulator of WP8 and be ready for it ( in a perfect world)
    well. it does take time. but not everyone is perfect at launch Alex. you know that. but with MS launching Windows 8 and wp8. MS is going dead serious with this. so no Errors at launch. no not at this time

Other devices:
    Nexus 5
    IPhone 5C
    Blackberry Z10

[IMG][/IMG]

Global Posts
    153 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 12Danny123 View Post
    well. it does take time. but not everyone is perfect at launch Alex. you know that. but with MS launching Windows 8 and wp8. MS is going dead serious with this. so no Errors at launch. no not at this time
    speaking of not messing this up. where are the visual cues to do tasks in windows 8 right now. They are simply not there. Casual users will desperately need those in windows 8.
    Windows phone 8. Born in the year of our lord twenty twelve
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast