Nov 25, 2011
Visit site

sinime

Retired Moderator
Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
You need to play the ball not the man.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

First off, cgk1, do I recognize your avatar from Precentral?

Secondly, I'm not sure that a Nokia exclusive would be good. It shows a bias on MS' part and would piss me off if I was a maker of WP hardware. Then again, would I care when I'm releasing a new android device every other week?

cgk

Nov 25, 2011
Visit site

Secondly, I'm not sure that a Nokia exclusive would be good. It shows a bias on MS' part and would piss me off if I was a maker of WP hardware. Then again, would I care when I'm releasing a new android device every other week?

Yes you have correctly identified me, as for the thrust of your post even if such a story was true as you say why would Samsung care?

Last edited:

mafu6

Jun 3, 2012
Visit site
This would co-inside with what's happening at the Nokia store in Finland. Hmmm... interesting point.. maybe you never know.

Sent from my HP Touchpad using Tapatalk 2

cgk

Nov 25, 2011
Visit site
The only thing happening at that store is that it is having a refurb, nokia confirmed that to allthingsd,

sinime

Retired Moderator
Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
Yes you have correctly identified me, as for the thrust of your post even if such a story was true as you say why would Samsung care?

Thought so. Glad to recognize a familiar face!

To the second part, That's what I don't know...

Unfortunately, I don't think WP manufacturers care much for WP7, its an alternative they want to keep open. Except for Nokia, and i don't think any of us know exactly how deep it goes between MS & Nokia.

Maybe 8 will be a game changer?

Rumors aside, I would like WP8 to succeed. I don't care how they get there. Keep in mind, success does not necessarily mean being the top OS or even #2. Just needs to be profitable for the parties involved, or at least a few... MS and the chosen ones?

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site

Of course there's a bias. And it's not a hidden one.

Nokia and MS have a special relationship because Nokia is the only major OEM to go "all in" for Windows Phone for their smartphone future.

Other OEMs know and understand this.

pwaikon

Feb 28, 2012
Visit site
Please be true!

I hope that this rumor is true because IMO Nokia needs that 1 month head start. Nokia is the only one of Microsofts partners that is in a dire situation (?) and will go down if things don't improve significantly. 30 day exclusive sales of Windows Phone 8 could do wonders for Nokia when comparing to scenario of Nokia competing to sale Nokia WP 8 phones with all other Microsoft partners at the start. Just think about it: you go to a store and ask for WP 8 phone. The salesman says: "Yes, we have these Nokia Windows Phone 8 models that have just come on sale." then you of course ask for other brands in which the salesman replies: "Well, yes we're gonna have other WP 8 models as well but they're on sale next month, these Nokia models we exclusively have now" So, would YOU wait for a month to get a (different) WP 8 phone or would you buy that Nokia WP 8 at the spot? yeah, I tough so too ;)

I hope Microsoft is wise and considerate and gives Nokia this chance to shine alone with WP 8. Yes, it most likely will anger Microsoft's other WP partners but you would think that they understand Nokia's dire situation and let Microsoft "favor" Nokia. They may not need Nokia but Microsoft does so it would be logical to MS to do this to make sure Nokia stays in the game.

:excl: Disclaimer: yet again this is my opinion and no, I don't know anything about anything. I'm just a girl who wants Nokia to see the year 2013.

cgk

Nov 25, 2011
Visit site
Why doesn't Steve Balmer recognise it then? He was playing down the important of Nokia recently.

PG2G

Dec 20, 2010
Visit site
Nokia doesn't need help within the Windows phone ecosystem. They can release the same date as everyone else and still take the majority of the sales. Remember... Nokia had 80% of Windows Phone sales in Q2.

cedarlog

Sep 17, 2011
Visit site
Is that a way of spinning that nobody else wants to launch a WP8 right out of the gate?

they are part of windows phone 8 development more than anyone else so they are more prepared to release windows phone 8 before anyone else

sentimentGX4

Feb 23, 2012
Visit site
Microsoft doesn't have the wiggle room for an OEM exclusive WP8 release. Not only would it alienate the other OEMs; but, WP8 just doesn't have the weight in it to survive a limited, exclusive release. The number of units sold could be greatly reduced. That's not to mention that Microsoft will be starting fresh since none of the WP7 users will be a part of the WP8 ecosystem. (A shortsighted move on Microsoft's part that is guaranteed to haunt it later.) Microsoft is treading on dangerous water and shouldn't mess around with antics like that.

SnailUK

Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
Microsoft doesn't have the wiggle room for an OEM exclusive WP8 release. Not only would it alienate the other OEMs; but, WP8 just doesn't have the weight in it to survive a limited, exclusive release.

I do understand where you are coming from, but not sure i agree.

Come October (or whenever), Nokia and MS will be marketing the %^&* out of WP8, They sort out the initial WP8 reviews, start getting handsets into peoples hands, etc.

Meanwhile the other OEMs can sit back, watch, and start planning their offensive. If the WP8 launch goes well, they can go on the offensive, market their products, give Nokia a run for their money. If the launch goes like a wet firework, they can put their advertisting on hold, ramp down handset production, and carry on as they always have done with WP7.

snowmutt

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
Seeing how both HTC and Samsung are preparing WP 8 devices, some of you are just plain flat worrying over Nada. An exclusive head start for Nokia means nothing. 30 days in Mobile? That is a blink of an eye. No one will care after day 31.

Besides, if Nokia is promoting the crud out of it's WP 8 devices, that is just free publicity for WP 8. And that means when other OEM devices come out, WP 8 will already be in some of the public's mind, free of charge. I have always maintained a strong Nokia will bring other WP 8 sales along with it, sort of like the Droid line at Verizon really launch Android sales into the monster it is. Motorola wasn't the first Android device maker, just the one that hit it right.

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
they are part of windows phone 8 development more than anyone else so they are more prepared to release windows phone 8 before anyone else

This.

It may not be some exclusivity deal. But since they work so closely with MS, they are in a position to act more swiftly.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99