Welcome to the Windows Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!

Global Posts
    8,375 Global Posts
    I have no idea if they plan on doing something like this, but Microsoft really needs to release an Upgrade tool to migrate from a Windows Phone 7 device to a Windows Phone 8 device. Since we know that WP8 will backup everything (finally!), Microsoft should really release a one-time tool that will back that data up from a WP7 phone to upgrade to a WP8 phone.

It's bad enough we're all being forced to start over, but to lose all of our data in addition to that is even more difficult.
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    I have no idea if they plan on doing something like this, but Microsoft really needs to release an Upgrade tool to migrate from a Windows Phone 7 device to a Windows Phone 8 device. Since we know that WP8 will backup everything (finally!), Microsoft should really release a one-time tool that will back that data up from a WP7 phone to upgrade to a WP8 phone.

It's bad enough we're all being forced to start over, but to lose all of our data in addition to that is even more difficult.
    +1

I wish they would announce/confirm such a tool!

From what I gather, WP8 is going to back up app data to sky drive or something like that? If so, I wonder if WP7.8 will add that feature? That would allow you to swap phones fairly painlessly.

I played with a Lumia 900 yesterday and fell in love... I just don't want to loose everything now, switching to 7, just to loose it all again when I switch to 8. :(

Global Posts
    3,660 Global Posts
    Standard MS reply: this feature requires WP8! :dry

Global Posts
    243 Global Posts
    And it would be extremely handy since so many here are changing to outlook.com and can't unless they reset their phone losing everything. There should be a way, even if it isn't automatic, but at least make a way for it to happen!!

I hope it's in 7.8 but how apps handle data in the different OS' might make that near impossible. OS settings and downloaded apps and start tile setup I would hope for, at least.