Conveying the Message

andrelamont

Jul 27, 2012
Visit site
The Next Big Thing is Already Here -- Samsung Galaxy S III
[YT]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nf5-Prx19ZM&feature=player_embedded[/YT]

subtle poke at iPhones now being associated with Mother/Father...i.e not cool anymore.

Otherwise...the lil' digs & pokes drives home the point that iPhone will have the features next year.

I think Samsung needs to concentrate on the under 18 crowd as they are more prone to buying things that are cool (not everyone but the majority) as they are overly concerned with being cool and getting attention.

I remember a line in the movies "The Incredible" where dash mutters the word "Which is another way of saying no one is." after hearing his mom say "Everyone is special"

Likewise, if everyone has an iPhone then it can no longer be cool anymore. My insider 13yr old refuses to signup for fb/twitter because they were 'like' cool 2 years ago...plus my parents are on them.

andrelamont

Jul 27, 2012
Visit site
If advertising alone sold phones, Palm would have sold truckloads of Pres with their $200 million ad campaign in 2009.

That would be true...how about this....effective advertisment I am sure Apple spent a great deal of money for the Genius Bar ad campaing but it was so bad they scrubbed their youtube channel of all traces of the campaign.

I agree, throwing dollars around is not the solution.

brmiller1976

Aug 5, 2011
Visit site
Advertising isn't as effective at generating demand as it is in building name recognition. What builds demand is word of mouth.

Apple didn't sell a bajillion iPhones with ads showing it off. Rather, people saw others with them who raved about them AND saw the ads and made the connection.

X0LARIUM

Aug 11, 2012
Visit site
Advertising only helps when you've caught the nerve of the public...and more the merrier...there have been instances where great ads have sold hopeless products and vice versa...but all u have to focus on is ur Target audience...

Sent from my DROID RaZr HD.

X0LARIUM

Aug 11, 2012
Visit site
Advertising isn't as effective at generating demand as it is in building name recognition. What builds demand is word of mouth.

Apple didn't sell a bajillion iPhones with ads showing it off. Rather, people saw others with them who raved about them AND saw the ads and made the connection.

Bang on! Its just a tool to support your sales...

Sent from my DROID RaZr HD.

andrelamont

Jul 27, 2012
Visit site
Snooze You Lose!

Just some additional thoughts
This Is Why Apple Wins | Pocketnow

Some quotes from the article:
An impulse is one of the strongest human traits we know. When faced with a specific situation, our bodies are naturally pushed to act, and it?s honestly very hard to maintain self-control if all the right buttons are pushed in our minds.

Well, lately it seems like if Microsoft, Nokia, HTC, Motorola and others don?t get it. They invite us to their events; do a great job at showing us their hot new products, but fail at releasing the product in a timeframe that?s quick enough to retain our interest and impulse in their idea. Some of them make the unforgivable mistake of announcing their products in the spring and somehow expect you to remember it by the fall when they finally get it out of the oven.

Have you ever seen Kenneth Cole announce a shirt they won?t sell you, or do you see it first on the store window? Do you ever hear MacDonald?s announcing a burger they won?t begin to sell until next year? It?s there, using its most delicious photo on the menu, trying to drive you to buy it out of impulse.

Announcing a product months before hand works in some markets...like in the automobile industry. I would even guess that Apple could get away with it..."the iPhone 6 is coming so hold on", but when you only have a market share of 4%, I am not sure if getting people to hold on is the best approach.

Ex.
Today Nest, announced version 2 of their thermostat...and on the same date they had a:
  • pre-order link,
  • shipping date
  • price.
Guess what? I purchased it! If this devices wasn't going to be released until 5 months from now I am sure my need for this device would have been place sooo low in my priority stack.
old_vs_new-99026632.jpg

Long delays between product announcments and availability give some people the chance to re-think things and to question if they should buy phone X. Right now....I am not so sure if I will buy a 920/Ativ-S phone...the 'need' has diminished

1jaxstate1

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
Do people really do impulse buy on cell phones. Maybe if it was on sale for "the next 3 hours", but no way would I, or anyone I know, impulse buy a smartphone.

andrelamont

Jul 27, 2012
Visit site
Even thought these are not specific WP advertisments I am willing to guess that MS will use the same style for their phones.

For some reason which I can't explain with reasons or facts, I like these ads. Maybe its the music, maybe its the colors or maybe they show the actual device being used...idk. I think if they pound users with these ads...the music will be embedded in our heads and just maybe will become Pavlov Dogs every time we hear the song and run out and purchase MS products

[YT]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=3tN0hNQTrcU[/YT]
[YT]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=3ng4KK04Ows[/YT]

see more on the main page
Official Windows 8 TV ads allegedly leak | wpcentral

aubreyq

Dec 4, 2010
Visit site
Do people really do impulse buy on cell phones. Maybe if it was on sale for "the next 3 hours", but no way would I, or anyone I know, impulse buy a smartphone.
I actually sort of bought my Focus as an impulse buy. I already knew I wanted a smartphone and was very interested in Windows Phone. I went to Costco one day in November 2010, they had the Focus for $100 (went down lower in price not too long after that) and I just went for it. I suppose it wasn't an all out impulse buy because I liked WP7, but still...

sinime

Retired Moderator
Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
If advertising alone sold phones, Palm would have sold truckloads of Pres with their $200 million ad campaign in 2009.

Not if we're talking about the creepy girl campaign. <shivers> I still have nightmares from it.

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express

brmiller1976

Aug 5, 2011
Visit site
The creepy lady ads were dreadful. Frankly, so was "the smartphone beta test is over" -- especially when they knew at the time that two months after that campaign, Microsoft was going to orphan Mango devices.

X0LARIUM

Aug 11, 2012
Visit site
Not if we're talking about the creepy girl campaign. I still have nightmares from it.

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express

Could y'all link me that ad...for my personal reference ... thanx...
PS: I'm a copywriter by profession, so it always helped me to see good AND bad ads..
Thanx!
Sent from my RaZr on JB!

tomatoes11

Sep 21, 2012
Visit site
Honestly, I think they still need to build a stronger brand before they can attempt a big marketing push. Pouring marketing money into 4% mobile OS market share is a tough sell to investors even if it is Microsoft.

There are better methods for them at the moment, like letting AT&T pay for the marketing for now. Then when the market share increases, based on the quality of the product not marketing, to 10%; then they can make a market push.

Samsung and Apple used the same strategy.

Apple: 3 years letting AT&T getting them off the ground, then bam world domination type marketing push.

Samsung (percentage numbers are not accurate and used for demonstration purposes only)

GS1 - 0% market share, getting good word of mouth. Market share increasing

GS2. - 4% Market share. Excellent word of mouth and reviews. Huge market share spike based on hardware, not marketing.

GS3 - time for the big push.

As you can see, WP8 is only on the GS2 stage and you can argue that a marketing push with bad sales results could actually set them back. The last thing Nokia or WP8 needs is a share drop after the L920 announcement followed by another share drop after December due to poor holiday sales and a big budget spent on marketing.

Let them gain a stronger foothold before expecting them to jump really high.

andrelamont

Jul 27, 2012
Visit site
Could y'all link me that ad...for my personal reference ... thanx...
PS: I'm a copywriter by profession, so it always helped me to see good AND bad ads..
Thanx!
Sent from my RaZr on JB!

Here a few for ya
[YT]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iIknaMyJhvw&feature=relmfu[/YT]
[YT]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DG0P8_O8u64&feature=relmfu[/YT]
[YT]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Hk8IzdwYEA[/YT]
[YT]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iGthdO7nwpU&feature=related[/YT]

Here's a quote from the Ad Agency
The latest crop of Palm Pre ads may not be a favorite among some viewers but it does achieve its purpose of getting consumers to talk about the product, says Gary Koepke, co-founder and executive creative director at Modernista, the agency behind the Pre ads. So mission accomplished, says Koepke in an interview with Ad Age.

“The Pre is probably being talked about more than other phones right now because of the marketing and advertising, and that’s a good thing,” says Koepke. “Could the ads work harder to show exactly how the phone works? Yes, but we knew it would be polarizing people to have a woman not shout at them and tell an interesting story.”

source

Last edited:

andrelamont

Jul 27, 2012
Visit site
Wow, spending $1.5 to $1.8 billion on Window 8 and tablets...sounds like a strong commitment. Now what is the message that MS wants to get out?
Microsoft Betting BIG on Cloud with Windows 8 and Tablets - Forbes

Times Square sure gets a lot of eyeballs! Hope MS gets a super bowl ads too!
Microsoft+Surface+ad+Times+Square+New+York.jpg

Will MS get a good return on their investment?

As a frame of reference:
Samsung electronics has spent about $2.8 billion in marketing campaign in Q2 and $1.97 billion all of last year

Apple spent about $457.2 million for its 2010 debuted iPad for marketing campaign. $647 million on its advertising campaign total for iPhone 2007-2011
source
source
apple_slide.png

andrelamont

Jul 27, 2012
Visit site
well...well, while watching a football (american) game yesterday I saw a MS commerical for Win8

[YT]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=i1GNDs7DCTw[/YT]

Winterfang

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
I'm glad they are not advertising Windows Phone anymore, because it will disappoint folks that find out can't get updates. I expect a huge wave of Windows Phone 8 ads =)

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duouser3