Welcome to the Windows Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 29
Like Tree10Likes
  1. SCOOBY_666UK's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    5 Posts
       #1  
    I really like the NEW WP8 Start Screen that Microsoft revealed in June. I definitely think it's an improvement over the current one, but not the best it can be. Some of the main complaints are:

    It looks too busy
    It looks to cluttered
    It looks un-organised
    We need MORE + CUSTOM backgrounds
    We need HUBS
    We need GROUPS
    We want LANDSCAPE View

    I have created two quick mock-ups (Portrait & Landscape), that show the Grouping Feature, that I think fits in with the design language. I think this along with Windows 8 Semantic Zoom would make organising/de-cluttering/renaming groups much easier.

    This would enable people that prefer a better organised/ less busier looking screen to manage it more effectively.

    (Please see attachments for the mock-ups).

    Hopefully Microsoft takes note and gives us something similar.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 6786_startscreen_maria35_00af4a40.jpg   6786_startscreen_maria35_00af4a40-landscape-.jpg  
    Thanked by:
  2. Coolaaron88's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    169 Posts
    Global Posts
    176 Global Posts
    #2  
    I love your mockups. They have all of my yes!
  3. baseballbert's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    1,556 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,059 Global Posts
    #3  
    Cool
    Make with the WP purchase already one time why dontcha for pete's sake. Honestly.....
  4. Siah1214's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    175 Posts
    Global Posts
    374 Global Posts
    #4  
    You can do that now...just get one of the apps that can label tiles. Not a perfect solution but close.
  5. SCOOBY_666UK's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    5 Posts
       #5  
    I think removing the gutter/negative space on the right, will now easily allow the implementation of the landscape view.

    The mock-ups are best saved and viewed on the phone :)
  6. iloveamystery's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    179 Posts
    Global Posts
    181 Global Posts
    #6  
    I like the idea of groups on start screen. Nice mockups. I don't think I'd use landscape mode, but as long as they don't forgot to include orientation lock, that sounds good as well.
  7. vp710's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    433 Posts
    Global Posts
    449 Global Posts
    #7  
    I think the titles really don't work in horizontal view. A space between groups could work but the titles are just an eyesore. I like the vertical one though; it reminds of W8 in a good way.
  8. SonOfDad's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    44 Posts
    #8  
    The problem is the four small tiles occupying the area beside the one regular size tile. Makes it look very messy. By comparission if you have a row of four small tiles then two regular tiles underneath it looks a great deal more tidy.
  9. jfa1's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    2,353 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,432 Global Posts
    #9  
    to each his own I like both and have no problem with lanscape hopefully they would switch when the oreintation changes.
    Your smartphone is only as smart as YOU let it be!
  10. Marute's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    110 Posts
    Global Posts
    141 Global Posts
    #10  
    I don't see why people can argue it looks messy and unorganized. The whole point is that you can make the start screen exactly like you want it so if you don't like the start screen, it's your own fault alone for not fixing it correctly for your own needs.
  11. Jf.Vigor's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    115 Posts
    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by Marute View Post
    I don't see why people can argue it looks messy and unorganized. The whole point is that you can make the start screen exactly like you want it so if you don't like the start screen, it's your own fault alone for not fixing it correctly for your own needs.
    lol agreed ^
  12. Jf.Vigor's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    115 Posts
    #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by SCOOBY_666UK View Post
    I really like the NEW WP8 Start Screen that Microsoft revealed in June. I definitely think it's an improvement over the current one, but not the best it can be. Some of the main complaints are:

    It looks too busy
    It looks to cluttered
    It looks un-organised
    We need MORE + CUSTOM backgrounds
    We need HUBS
    We need GROUPS
    We want LANDSCAPE View

    I have created two quick mock-ups (Portrait & Landscape), that show the Grouping Feature, that I think fits in with the design language. I think this along with Windows 8 Semantic Zoom would make organising/de-cluttering/renaming groups much easier.

    This would enable people that prefer a better organised/ less busier looking screen to manage it more effectively.

    (Please see attachments for the mock-ups).

    Hopefully Microsoft takes note and gives us something similar.



    First - I LOVE your mockups
    But secondly, you say you love the new start screen but from your bullet list it seems you want to change everything about it :p
  13. Elchicos's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    14 Posts
    #13  
    There should be an option to name the tile groups, it will look more organized indeed.
  14. dukrem's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    51 Posts
    Global Posts
    52 Global Posts
    #14  
    Love the groups in those mockups, it definitely helps with organisation.

    I only just stumbled across this wp8 concept and there's some pretty cool ideas, but the best part is in the third image on the page with the dark semi-transparent live tiles with a full colour background image - it looks really good, and combined with the grouping mentioned above we could easily have the best start screen of any mobile OS.

    My Dream Nokia: Nokia Lumia 908 with stunning Apollo WP8 concept slides! : My Nokia Blog
    SCOOBY_666UK likes this.
  15. markiz's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    3 Posts
    #15  
    "It looks too busy/cluttered" and "We need MORE + CUSTOM backgrounds" are in direct opposition.
    Just sayin :D
    vp710 and X0LARIUM like this.
  16. X0LARIUM's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    1,660 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,763 Global Posts
    #16  
    nice work with the mockups firstly.

    but I kinnda like the WP8 screen... :|
  17. JerseySal's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    596 Posts
    Global Posts
    604 Global Posts
    #17  
    I wish there were more overall personal options ...not just on the start screen.

    Sent from my SGH-i917 using Board Express
    ~Sal
  18. Jake_M's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    160 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,633 Global Posts
    #18  

    I really like it with the W8 background
    My apps are on JMTK Application Development
    [Guide] How to completely switch from Gmail to Outlook.com
    Nextel phones > Sanyo Katana Eclipse X > Palm Pre > HTC Arrive > HTC Trophy
    SCOOBY_666UK and cedarlog like this.
  19. SCOOBY_666UK's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    5 Posts
       #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by markiz View Post
    "It looks too busy/cluttered" and "We need MORE + CUSTOM backgrounds" are in direct opposition.
    Just sayin :D
    Sorry... I was referring to general complaints from current users. Though I can understand where they are coming from... to make the device feel even more personal (I personally prefer the current & Windows 8 Style backgrounds).


    Custom backgrounds could easily be implemented by applying a default black shade/tint to the selected background/image. (e.g. Music + Video Hub Artwork).


    Though having a long list of icons/tiles cluttered together without having a break/grouping.... does make the screen look disorganised and busy.


    IMHO, creating groups gives a much tidier look and it also makes searching that much more easier.


    Again, for anyone that does not like the idea/look...it would be optional....like Windows 8.
    Last edited by SCOOBY_666UK; 08-11-2012 at 09:11 PM.
  20. SCOOBY_666UK's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    5 Posts
       #20  
    Quote Originally Posted by Terantek View Post
    Love the groups in those mockups, it definitely helps with organisation.

    I only just stumbled across this wp8 concept and there's some pretty cool ideas, but the best part is in the third image on the page with the dark semi-transparent live tiles with a full colour background image - it looks really good, and combined with the grouping mentioned above we could easily have the best start screen of any mobile OS.

    My Dream Nokia: Nokia Lumia 908 with stunning Apollo WP8 concept slides! : My Nokia Blog
    I like the concepts... but IMO, the Lumia was designed for on-screen virtual buttons. With Windows 8, the Lumia needs to drop the Hardware Capacitive Screen buttons and opt for the virtual buttons. This will increase the screen size and reduce the bezel.
  21. eruptflail's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    288 Posts
    Global Posts
    291 Global Posts
    #21  
    "It looks too busy
    It looks to cluttered
    It looks un-organised"

    Since these are all pretty much the same thing, you don't have to use the smallest icons if you don't like. Some people may want things to look busy though, and may have a method to their madness when they make, what seems to you, a cluttered look.
  22. SCOOBY_666UK's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    5 Posts
       #22  
    Quote Originally Posted by Eruptflail View Post
    "It looks too busy
    It looks to cluttered
    It looks un-organised"

    Since these are all pretty much the same thing, you don't have to use the smallest icons if you don't like. Some people may want things to look busy though, and may have a method to their madness when they make, what seems to you, a cluttered look.
    But it doesn't make sense to use larger icons for non-live tiles e.g. Microsoft Office (including pinned documents)/ Music & Videos etc.


    Again, I'm ONLY suggesting 'Grouping' as an option...for those that like a managed/organised feel/look... AS in Windows 8.
  23. dukrem's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    51 Posts
    Global Posts
    52 Global Posts
    #23  
    Quote Originally Posted by Jake_M View Post
    Click to view quoted image

    I really like it with the W8 background

    That would be really nice, unfortunately I think it's a little too close to release for a major redesign.

    I do think that to appeal to a wider audience microsoft needs to offer things like home screen backgrounds and a notification centre to make users from other platforms feel at home.

    I've done some quick mockups of what I'd like to see as an option for users who want the additional customisation. There are a couple of examples with tile grouping and a couple without.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails windowsphone8startscreen_no_groups5.jpg   windowsphone8startscreen_no_groups.jpg   wp8start_groups1.jpg   wp8start_groups2.jpg  
  24. vp710's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    433 Posts
    Global Posts
    449 Global Posts
    #24  
    Quote Originally Posted by Terantek View Post
    That would be really nice, unfortunately I think it's a little too close to release for a major redesign.

    I do think that to appeal to a wider audience microsoft needs to offer things like home screen backgrounds and a notification centre to make users from other platforms feel at home.

    I've done some quick mockups of what I'd like to see as an option for users who want the additional customisation. There are a couple of examples with tile grouping and a couple without.
    Please, no background pic, it looks horrid. Like a bad dream from the 2000's...
    Jake_M likes this.
  25. goliath83's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    2 Posts
    #25  
    I think the background and the grouping looks great, and is just what wp needs! If you don't like having backgrounds, then can can always skip it.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions