Welcome to the Windows Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree14Likes

Global Posts
    1,763 Global Posts
    Hey all,

This thread is more of an introspection. I have a RaZr right now. One of those many "Flagship" phones. One of the prime reason for ditching my HTC HD7 was the lack of apps, the nearly desolated marketstore and the third world approach by devs.

But, last night, as I was lay awake in my bed, I had a thought. "Sure I have a high-end phone. Sure I have an app store that is brimming with apps. Sure I can download one anytime of the day. Games? Yeah, I downloaded all the best and the coolest ones, but apart from Dead Space, haven't even bothered to open the .zip. So how many of those apps are actually useful?"

This is what made me sit upright. Today morning I went through the list of apps I have downloaded for the last six-7 months.
    Wallpapers/soundboards/games and tweaks and mods. That's about it. All of them. Not one useful app. Not one app that I can use in some way that could perhaps bring about a minute change in my life, that could help me in the remotest way possible.

Yes there are apps that I absolutely love, Flipboard, Twitter, iReader and that's about it.

So, my reason to post this here is actually this question - is a bloated marketplace USP for an OS? Was I wrong in ditching my HTC HD7 for an app store that was just a bait somewhere?

How many of you actually feel that WP's app store isn't as strong as its competitors?

Let's be fair and share what you think.

Thanks for your time.

Sent from my RaZr Nexus.
    Banned

Global Posts
    1,353 Global Posts
    Amazing Weather, Rowi, Connectivity Shortcuts, Local Scout, Me & Personal hubs, XBox Live, Music + Videos hub, Nokia Maps and so much more.

Global Posts
    2,259 Global Posts
    The OS already works pretty well by itself. But I wouldn't know what to do without some essentials: CleverToDo to remind me of pending tasks (no has a Cloud based sync function), ProSports Scores to track Yankee baseball, pitch by pitch, when I can't watch the game, Sports Scores contract my 4 favorite teams, Sports Calendar to be reminded of events and check the schedule of any sort, Parcel Tracker to keep track of my packages, Weave to keep up to date with all kinds of tech and other news, Weather to see weather at a glance, RAD Now to get a quick view of fast moving storms here in Florida, Mehdoh for my Twitter fix, Handyscan to shoot an document and sent it anywhere, Board Express to read and reply to there forums..... I could keep going. Plenty to see in the Marketplace. You just have to look. Almost 200 apps, and another 40 games. No wallpaper, and a few utility apps. Most of the rest is news and prodictivity

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express Pro
    Nokia Lumia 900 - OS: 7.10.8112.7 - Firmware: 2175.1002.8112.12084
    HTC Surround - OS: 7.10.8107.79 - Firmware: 2250.21.40500.502
    Laura Knotek likes this.

Global Posts
    1,763 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jimski View Post
    The OS already works pretty well by itself. But I wouldn't know what to do without some essentials: CleverToDo to remind me of pending tasks (no has a Cloud based sync function), ProSports Scores to track Yankee baseball, pitch by pitch, when I can't watch the game, Sports Scores contract my 4 favorite teams, Sports Calendar to be reminded of events and check the schedule of any sort, Parcel Tracker to keep track of my packages, Weave to keep up to date with all kinds of tech and other news, Weather to see weather at a glance, RAD Now to get a quick view of fast moving storms here in Florida, Mehdoh for my Twitter fix, Handyscan to shoot an document and sent it anywhere, Board Express to read and reply to there forums..... I could keep going. Plenty to see in the Marketplace. You just have to look. Almost 200 apps, and another 40 games. No wallpaper, and a few utility apps. Most of the rest is news and prodictivity

I actually agree. The phone is capable of most of the things on its own...but again, having a few basics app around always helps...doesn't it?

Sent from my RaZr Nexus.
    Absolutely false post, I have plenty of useful apps on my HD7. But I mainly use the built in functionality.

Global Posts
    33,014 Global Posts
    PIN
    Email
    Quote Originally Posted by jimski View Post
    Weave to keep up to date with all kinds of tech and other news
    Thanks for mentioning Weave. I had not heard of it, but it's a great app.

Global Posts
    1,763 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by eric12341 View Post
    Absolutely false post, I have plenty of useful apps on my HD7. But I mainly use the built in functionality.
    Then I clearly couldn't make optimum use of my phone and its my bad. I know and that's perhaps the reason I'm again gonna go for WP8.
    Thanx!

Sent from my RaZr Nexus.
    I never found a need for an app I couldn't get on my HD7 that was available on a competing platform.
    Banned

Global Posts
    1,353 Global Posts
    What are the major missing holes? Hulu, Instagram, Draw Something, Infinity Blade?
    reminds me of an interesting tweet I came across the other day by someone.

https://twitter.com/drupad_t/status/232517708674121728

I read the whole article and it is amazing how we think more apps = more quality apps.

In smartphone app world, size does not matter. It's the quality. It's not about how much any more, it is about "how".
  11. drg
    Developer

I use most days the following:

Tasks, Ebay, Nokia Drive, iSilo, freda, Skype, Ultimate Guitar Tabs, Guitar Tuner, Turbo Camera, Trapster, Weatherflow, Goal.com, Thumba Photo Editor, Flashlight, Twitter, Facebook, Office and Skydrive.

Games I currently love are iStunt2, Wordament, Matchy, Dr Pickaxe, Farm Frenzy 2, NFS Undercover and Bouncey Mouse.
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    2,526 Global Posts
    I've found pretty much all of the apps I need on WP. The only thing I dislike is many apps that are cross platform such as instagram aren't available on WP yet, but that will come in time. WP has done pretty well in the app department for having such a small marketshare.

Global Posts
    289 Global Posts
    After coming from a Droid OG and Droid X, I can honestly say that any app I've actually needed and used, has been available on WP and if not, a suitable replacement as well.

To me, I don't care about the number of apps as that's completely meaningless. What I care about is quality of apps. WP owns that distinction as having the most quality apps in my book. Not one app I've downloaded and used thus far, has left me wanting.
    palandri likes this.

Global Posts
    118 Global Posts
    There was a point where I felt the same, I felt as if I needed the apps that all my friends have access to on their android/ios devices. I quickly got over that feeling, however i recently was given an old iPhone 4 and while i'm only using it as an itouch, I do have access to those apps again.

So I went ahead and downloaded those apps that I thought I would use if I didn't own a windows phone and of course I only messed around with them that first day.

Those essential few apps are the ones that are important to me. Banking, my news (NYT, USA Today), flashlight, notepad, WPcentral:happy:.

Think about the apps that you use when you're on the toilet
    Thanked by:

Please note, i don't have credit card and live in your so called 3rd world.
    Lumia 710.

I use this app almost in daily basis:
    Whatsapp -> for obvious reasons.
    Weave -> i know your site from here, please thank them.
    Evernote / Office -> should i ditch evernote?
    UC Browser -> thunder mode is a WIN.
    Turbo camera -> Thank you, i got it for free, thank you Venetasoft for free promo. This is a WIN.
    Aviary Photo Genius -> the drawback of 5MP and monstrous noise made me use it often, and of course i use a lot of filter apps.
    MikuLiveTile -> change the IE icon, et Voila! :D
    Manga Reader -> impressive live tile, downloadable content, very nice navigation.
    LolCats -> from crazy hot solution, because onion7 will be too absurd and most likely hard to understand for 3rd world.
    AppDeals -> I'm a cheapskate, thank you.
    Box, Boxfiles for Dropbox and Skydrive -> obviously.
    eyeEm -> great photos, too bad too many nudist, just glad they disabled live tiles.
    HardFox(all of them) -> i have no complain.
    SimpiRSS -> can pin and fast RSS reader, that is all i need.
    TED -> i use it more than youtube, too bad you can't download and no subs.
    Translator -> from Microsoft, useful.
    Tube Pro -> Change background and icon, downloadable content.
    Crackle -> yay ..
    AUPEO Radio -> i like out of Africa. Oh and very good at poor connection, BRAVO!
    Tune in Radio, Soundtracker -> ugh.. not really often but good.
    BBC News Mobile ->top notch Live Tile and toast notification and great insight of outsider view.
    trending now-> solely for nice live tile :D
    Nokia Weather or Microsoft Weather -> Nokia will be for cool factor, but most of the time my eyes just skip Nokia Weather live tiles maybe because it's too busy/crowded. Microsoft one has simple Live tile for eyecatching.

Alarm, Nokia Camera extras, Nokia Drive/Maps, Counters(nokiabetalabs), creative studio -> this is great.

for games this is what i REALLY PLAY ALOT, but maybe most of you won't find it interesting, anyway:
    Breeze
    Contract Killer
    Gun Bros
    Minesweeper
    Shuffle party
    Sudoku
    Wordament

Astral Battles -> too bad must pay for online ver.
    Dalton the awesome
    BBB: App-ocalypse
    Bomberman vs Zombie
    Brutal Chase
    Cabals
    Cradle to the grave
    Dragon's blade
    Gaston 1
    Jewel 3
    Kungfu Stonie
    Lemonade Stand
    Lumia Snake 3D
    Metrognome
    lildemonsSplatter
    minicraft
    NyanCatGame
    Pirate Cat-> got it while it's free
    Rizing
    TextTextRevolution
    Trine's hangman Pro -> again, from free promo
    Wizard Choice(complete)
    Zombie Squish

Last word, i hope there's more free promo, especially EA and XBLA.
    Last edited by DaiaX; 08-13-2012 at 01:53 AM. Reason: Apps For Amazing Everyday
    Thanked by:

Global Posts
    176 Global Posts
    WP has all the apps I seem to need, I am not much into games but I love Final Fantasy, I also use Office, Rowi, Weave, Board Express, Medicine Manager, and I just found Livescape, its really helped me with my health goals a lot more than I thought it would. And I also love fhotoroom and Thumba photo editor.

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express
    --
    "A guilty conscience needs to confess. A work of art is a confession."
    Albert Camus

holy moses u guys use a lot of apps... i was just going through my app list the other day too and found myself only using Nokia Drive the most and sometimes photo editing tools... (and only play Wordament and geoDefense most of the time)

the rest like Office, People hub, photo hub are all built in lol, I guess I'm not that into apps after all, and last count I only have like 30 apps installed, most of them rarely opened within any given month

Global Posts
    33,014 Global Posts
    PIN
    Email
    I'm an ex-BlackBerry user, so I have found many more good apps for Windows Phone than I ever had for BlackBerry.

I have the wpcentral app and always check the app reviews on the main page.

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express

People should just use apps they need and stop whining about how many apps are available to them. I'm pretty sure many apps get downloaded and are hardly used, gathering dust and eating up space in people's phones.
    X0LARIUM likes this.

Global Posts
    1,183 Global Posts
    I have never felt that our marketplace was inferior. The only times that it seems I am lacking is when my iPhone using sister calls wanting to play the latest game: Draw Something, SongPop, etc.

I have never lacked a solution when I searched the WP Marketplace.

Global Posts
    692 Global Posts
    My impressions of the app store are this:

Microsft knows games. I like to game a lot on my mobile and I will continue to support the device with the best games. That means WP7 in my eyes. The games (though not the top-of-the-line graphics-wise) are some of the best games you can get on the mobile market.

Tentacles is by far my favorite game and you can only get it on WP7. Sure we just have the basic Angry Birds and a couple other games that were hits on iOS and Android but I am fine with that.

I really don't think people should equate # of apps to quality apps either. I absolutely despise android. I have never had an android device that can handle my multiple email accounts with the native app and login and check all of them for new email correctly. I know there are good email apps on the android market but why should I have to get one of those? Also why does my device recommend a security app? Makes you think androids get hacked a lot. Also just downloading random apps on android to see what they do can be a nightmare to clean up after once you uninstall. Leaving ad's on the home screen and in the notification bar. Just too intrusive and too much accessability is given to the app developers for android.

iPhone? I am just not a mac-baby and I loved my 4S for the few months that I had it. Very solid phone and never let me down. But I hated the tiny screen and I hated having to sync everything through iTunes. iTunes is clunky.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    Banned

Global Posts
    175 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TaliZorah View Post
    Microsoft knows games. I like to game a lot on my mobile and I will continue to support the device with the best games. That means WP7 in my eyes. The games (though not the top-of-the-line graphics-wise) are some of the best games you can get on the mobile market.
    Sorry, but nothing can touch iOS as far as mobile gaming goes. It's not even a fair comparison.

Agreed on the rest though.

Global Posts
    1,387 Global Posts
    In terms of local apps and smaller services, Windows Phone loses out. Most sites do not have feature-rich mobile versions or responsive design, and having an app that can cache and pre-load content in a native-styled environment is always going to be nicer than browsing to the site.

Of course a big marketplace is not the same as many quality apps. In the beginning I thought most WP apps were serious, now more and more of the new apps is versions of "Super Fart Machine Deluxe" and "1000 sexy almost nude Russian girls" . (Like Android market).

It maybe different in the US, but where I live WP is missing a lot of official and local apps. I did know that when I bought my WP, and I thought it would change, but to my disappointment it hasn't.

I don't need many apps every day, it is more often the apps I rarely use but in certain situations that I find more important/handy.

And while the WP versions of an apps is more good looking, better designed, they almost always have less options and features and are updates can be very rare compared to the Android version. Like Spotify...

The only app I'm really missing is Instagram and a couple cross-platform games to play with my friends. Such as, Draw Something, or Pocket Legends, or Pocket God. Having these games on Android and iOS does not help my situation. Instagram would be nice as my girlfriend uses it religiously.
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast