Why is MS so bent on keeping some things locked down?

DaveGx

Nov 5, 2011
Visit site
I used to use Android, now WP. Whilei do like it, one thing that bugs me is how MS seems bent on now allowing options, real alternatives to things like browser and key board. If I like anything about Android, it was more options. Some hate it but I loved Swype. And DolphinHD was the best mobile browser I've ever used. I like to surf on my mobile phone and IE is average at best. From bookmarks to keeping text fittable on page, back button/forward, you name it, IE is not a very good browse. Even copy and paste is a pain to use.

I don't know what to expect from IE 10, but if it's not way better than what we have now, I hope MS hears an outcry from WP users and starts to allow Real alternatives to browser and keyboard

thed

Jan 6, 2011
Visit site
It's a widespread myth that MS doesn't allow alternative browsers. Not true. It's just that nobody has bothered to write one. Writing a browser is hard, and it would probably be hard to make it run smoothly in .NET code. Maybe we'll see some options with wp8 and native code

As for the keyboard, its an MS design decision. Maybe they felt it would be difficult to keep things smooth and secure if they allowed plugins like that. Who knows. If customizability is the most important thing to you then I think Android is really the best choice.

Sent from my HTC Trophy using Board Express

palandri

Retired Moderator
Jul 25, 2009
Visit site
I think things are locked down the way they are is to prevent a 3rd party application bricking your phone or causing havoc with the OS.

I think the lack of a memory card and bluetooth transfer has to do with DRM issues, but that's just my opinion.

I also have a Samsung Galaxy S2 and a Nokia N8. I agree, the Dolphin browser is the best mobile browser out there. I use Opera on my N8. I have Swype on both by S2 and my N8 and I really like it.

I do like the Windows OS the best.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
It's a widespread myth that MS doesn't allow alternative browsers. Not true. It's just that nobody has bothered to write one. Writing a browser is hard, and it would probably be hard to make it run smoothly in .NET code. Maybe we'll see some options with wp8 and native code

Thanks for the clarification about alternative browsers. :)

I never use IE as a desktop browser. My desktop browser preferences are: Firefox, Opera and Chrome.

I like to run Linux in addition to Windows, so I like cross-platform browsers.

cp2_4eva

Mar 19, 2012
Visit site
I uses to use another browser on WP. Problem is that there was no way to make it the default. Which sucks, because there was a browser I really liked and gave me more space on my screen and more options

Sent from my PI86100 using Board Express

thed

Jan 6, 2011
Visit site
I uses to use another browser on WP. Problem is that there was no way to make it the default. Which sucks, because there was a browser I really liked and gave me more space on my screen and more options

Sent from my PI86100 using Board Express
Good point, that's a valid concern. Hopefully you can change the default in WP8.

vp710

Jun 3, 2012
Visit site
Why? Because they want to offer a CONSISTENT experience throughout the devices they will be offering: Xbox, Win8 and WP8. WP7 was the beginning of this new way. Like I posted in another thread, if you let OEMs and users do whatever they want you end up with a market saturated with cheap POS devices and OSes rendered useless and bloated by average users (I'm sure you have met at least once this person with half of his / hers IE windows filled with toolbar addons).

Last edited:

eric12341

Dec 1, 2009
Visit site
Why? Because they want to offer a CONSISTENT experience throughout the devices they will be offering: Xbox, Win8 and WP8. WP7 was the beginning of this new way. Like I posted in another thread, if you let OEMs and users do whatever they want you end up with a market saturated with cheap POS devices and OSes rendered useless and bloated by average users (I'm sure you have met at least once this person with half of its IE windows filled with toolbar addons).

OMG YES! toolbars and other add-ons are the bane of good browser performance.

vp710

Jun 3, 2012
Visit site
I don't understand, my internet is slow. Windows sucks!! :facepalm:

123010_2107_toolmanybar1.png

:lol::lol:

tk-093

Aug 30, 2010
Visit site
I don't think it has to do with wanting to be consistent at all. The options for programming apps in WP7.x are pretty limited. Developers didn't have the access to do things like keyboard replacements. Now W8/WP8 will change that so we will see what they will allow. I'd love keyboard options... not a deal breaker since they Windows Phone keyboard is pretty good.

Now, if it had a keyboard like the craptastic default Sammy Galaxy S3 keyboard, I would riot. I couldn't replace that thing quick enough.

genuine555

Jun 8, 2012
Visit site
I don't understand, my internet is slow. Windows sucks!! :facepalm:

Click to view quoted image

:lol::lol:

Holy mother of GOD !!! Didn't even know this was possible :lol:
Can't be from a real person ?

I'm more used to this :

asi1g.png

Regarding OP, I really believe MS will have to step it up a few notches if they want to keep f**ing around limiting everything. I don't think they'll keep this up for very long. Not like this.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos