Splitting off from AT&T family plan with old Unlimited Data plan

MichaelBanning

Dec 25, 2009
Visit site
I am currently on a family talk network plan with my sister and parents. However, sparing you the dysfunctional family story, I would like to separate my line and my sister's line from my parents' account into a new separate account so I can pay for the two and my parents phones stay as is. In other words, I want to split the current account with 4 lines into 2 completely separate accounts each with 2 of the 4 lines. I spoke at length last night with an AT&T phone call rep and I can apparently do this fairly easily online with their "transfer of billing responsibility" feature. Also, since the familytalk plan is for 2 users and over, even by splitting the family account into 2 accounts with 2 phones each, nobody would have to change their phone plans (at least that's what she told me).

Assuming the above info is accurate, the only real sticking point is that because we've been members since 98, we all have the old unlimited data plan that's been grandfathered over through the years. I was told by the rep that if my sister and I make the jump our unlimited data plans wouldn't come with us.

While that's not too big of a deal - I would be more than covered with their 3gb plan since now I use 500mb-1gb - I wanted to see if anybody had any advice on what to do, particularly regarding keeping the unlimited data. I did some googling last night and saw a few random posts at other forums where people were able to keep the unlimited data by upgrading right before splitting or arguing with AT&T to keep the plan with the talking points being that the numbers aren't changing and so it's only a lateral move.

Back in 2010 I was told it wouldn't be a problem so I don't know if they've changed their policies since then (though that was when I upgraded to the Quantum so perhaps that's why). Either way, I appreciate any thoughts or suggestions!

palandri

Retired Moderator
Jul 25, 2009
Visit site
The old unlimited data plan really isn't an unlimited data plan. You get throttled by AT&T when you hit 3GB of data in a month.

Dethzilla

Mar 19, 2012
Visit site
This would only generate more money for AT&T... as each Talk plan is way higher than the additional lines. Right now you're probably at $30-$40 per line a month and if you seperate and add a second line... you'll be sitting at about $140 a month.

The only issue I would think of that would make you want to do this is the current payment possibly being late and your services being unavailable. If you're like me you probably go into convulsions and become angry at the world when your phone service isn't available (It only happened once o.k., and it was for like 20 minutes)...

Anyway... Don't let that unlimited Data hold you back. Look at your usage... if you've ever come close to 2GB then maybe you should push it... if not... don't let that hinder you from switching carriers. Also... figure out how much you've talked each month off of the free unlimited. times... (nights and weekends)... 700Minute plans are cheap for families... and if you're on AT&T I think you get free mobile to mobile calls.

dkp23

Feb 3, 2012
Visit site
Pretty much a lie, i broke off from my dads family plan which had four of us in it last november and kept my data plan.

ATT reps are full of **** and try to weasel their way to get you out of the plan. Try going to corporate store to do it.

palandri

Retired Moderator
Jul 25, 2009
Visit site
Pretty much a lie, i broke off from my dads family plan which had four of us in it last november and kept my data plan.

ATT reps are full of **** and try to weasel their way to get you out of the plan. Try going to corporate store to do it.

I know what you're saying is accurate because many AT&T users have posted here stating that they were able to keep there old unlimited data plan.

But what good is the old unlimited data plan when AT&T will throttle you at 3GB of 3G data? Before AT&T set the 3GB limit, there were news articles here about people getting throttled at 2GB and actually suing AT&T and winning in court.

dkp23

Feb 3, 2012
Visit site
I know what you're saying is accurate because many AT&T users have posted here stating that they were able to keep there old unlimited data plan.

But what good is the old unlimited data plan when AT&T will throttle you at 3GB of 3G data? Before AT&T set the 3GB limit, there were news articles here about people getting throttled at 2GB and actually suing AT&T and winning in court.

I agree with you, what good is an unlimited plan if you get throttled at 3gb?

For me, not good because i am an LTE user and i get throttled at 5gb. In addition, i have a $5 text plan that i would lose too, i dont want to lose that and end up paying $20 for unlimited texting which i dont need.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
COME ON WIN ANDROID (ADI)