Thinking of switching from Android to WP8...some "must have" questions about WP8!

Ricom1

Aug 18, 2012
Visit site
Good morning forum,

I'm been a dedicated Android user for about 4 years now and am heavily entrenched in the Android OS. Recently, when the MS Surface was announced, I got very excited and thought about having a WP8 device so my two mobile devices would be operating on the same/similar OS's (going back to college for my PhD in engineering and before the surface, I was looking at tablets for note taking...taking notes for engineering on a keyboard isn't the smoothest thing because of all the equations and greek letters that are involved, so handwriting was a must). However, there are a few MUST have's that I need to ask about to even consider moving because I am so entrenched.

1) Google Applications (Gmail and Calendar specifically). I own three domain names...a personal one for my family, I'm the local webmaster for our cub scout troop, and one for my side business...all three are hosted by google applications and I have my gmail and my calendar sync'd on my phone. I absolutely need a calendar that streamlessly sync's those calendars! (For instance, the wife puts a kid's appointment on the calendar and it automatically sync's with me). Overall, I have about 10 different calendars that are shared between different people (family, different scout dens, overall scouts, business, etc) Does the current iteration of Windows phone play nicely with google calendars and do we know yet if WP8 will?

2) #1 was honestly the only "must have" but the following are "nice to have"...Navigation, I've read some things about Nokia's, but does anyone know how it compares to google maps/navigation (which is pretty dern good)? I just moved to a major city out of my home state and Android's navigation has helped TONS...I need something that works pretty good so I can venture out the house without worrying I'm going to get lost.

3) Well...now that I think about it, those are the main hurdles....gmail/calendars are a MUST and navigation is a strong "like to have". I've been lurking on wpcentral ever since the surface was introduced and have started wanting one more and more...but if these basic functions won't transfer over, then it'll be extremely hard to justify (and my wife's phone is an android and her's isn't up for renewal until next year...mine is up for renewal in November of this year).

Thanks for reading!

tr1ckyboy

Aug 16, 2012
Visit site
I plan to switch from android to WP too, so I cannot answer & help u but I'm interested about the answer u will get since I also have a domain name hosted with google apps.
Im already afraid MSFT equivalent of Google apps is not as good.

Last edited:

sconrad308

Feb 22, 2012
Visit site
I use GMAIL for everything along with live, which is tied to my gmail account and it all syncs really well. Now, I don't know about a situation like yours where it is a gmail hosted email address. But I would think that would all work.

As for the Turn by Turn, ALL Windows Phone 8 devices will get Nokia Drive which is a pretty good turn by turn.

haps9

Mar 22, 2012
Visit site
Good morning forum,

1) Google Applications (Gmail and Calendar specifically). I own three domain names...a personal one for my family, I'm the local webmaster for our cub scout troop, and one for my side business...all three are hosted by google applications and I have my gmail and my calendar sync'd on my phone. I absolutely need a calendar that streamlessly sync's those calendars! (For instance, the wife puts a kid's appointment on the calendar and it automatically sync's with me). Overall, I have about 10 different calendars that are shared between different people (family, different scout dens, overall scouts, business, etc) Does the current iteration of Windows phone play nicely with google calendars and do we know yet if WP8 will?

Works well on my nokia 800 (mango): sync email & calender for 2 google apps (with own domain) and 1 gmail account. Had a birthday date issue once (the day was off by 1 in some gmail contacts) which I had to fix manually but works again now. I love the Windows Phone, well the Nokia 800 - nicest phone I ever had.

Ah and regarding maps/navigation: probably a bit less good than google maps but still very ok. Offline maps are especially great: I downloaded whole Europe (for free) and used it for hiking/biking. Very handy if in a foreign country and not wanting to pay the high roaming prices.

X0LARIUM

Aug 11, 2012
Visit site
@Ricom1 - One of the best threads I have read lately. Very to.the point, taking no potshots at another OS and very well written.

OK, now on to your questions...

I have used WP7 in the early days. Right now have a RAZR, one of the beat Android handsets out there. Firstly, Syncing won't be a problem. I don't think you know of this but this was introduced at a time when I was at the Doorstep, leaving WP7.

Here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gTLIA0G6CPA

http://m.engadget.com/2012/01/27/windows-phone-7-5-multiple-google-calendar-sync-gmail-features/

Your Google calendar will be synced seamlessly. At that point I thought no big deal. Now I realise, to someone like you how important it is..

Next up...your navigation question.

Nokia is going to offer offline maps. Now can it get any better?

http://www.slashgear.com/windows-phone-8-adds-nokia-maps-offline-maps-navigation-more-20234893/

I'm guessing this will answer your questions. If u have some more, shoot...will try to help a much as I can...

Cheers! :)

Sent from my RaZr Nexus.

Last edited:

CDG

Jan 10, 2008
Visit site
Hello there, I came from 2 years and 3 Android devices. The calendar and Gmail sync is seamless, but I don't have different domains like you do. I have 2 Gmail and one Live account and all three sync based on the individual settings I set. One of the calendars also sync with my work Outlook.

Nokia maps is very good and constantly improving and as mentioned the offline capability works to my advantage when traveling.

I will admit there are a handful of apps that I miss from Android, for now I have been able to do an acceptable workaround but hope they will happen sometime.

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express

KoukiFC3S

Nov 12, 2010
Visit site
2) #1 was honestly the only "must have" but the following are "nice to have"...Navigation, I've read some things about Nokia's, but does anyone know how it compares to google maps/navigation (which is pretty dern good)? I just moved to a major city out of my home state and Android's navigation has helped TONS...I need something that works pretty good so I can venture out the house without worrying I'm going to get lost.

Nokia Drive offline navigation review: taking the Lumia 900 for an off-the-grid spin -- Engadget

I also come from Android, and navigation is really important to me. After I read the engadget review of Nokia Drive, I was convinced that Nokia Drive is superior to Google Navigation.

I bought a Lumia 900, and it has been great.

Ricom1

Aug 18, 2012
Visit site
Thank you for the responses....I started thinking about one more item (this isn't a decision maker, but would be a pain if it doesn't work how it does with Google).

Since I have been a part of android for ~4 years, all of my contacts are based off of gmail. When I update to new google phones, I just have to sign in to my Google account and all of my contacts syncs within a few minutes. It's extremely convenient. It's funny when the sales person asks if if I'd like them to transfer all the information over to my new phone...my response is simply "nope, all will sync once I sign in" and they for some are surprised.

Now, since it appears that gmail plays nice with Windows phones...do the contacts play "nice" as well or is there some sort of migration that I'd have to do? Again, not a deal-breaker, but just trying to make sure I have all the information once the new phones come out (then I'll have an honest comparison to see if I go with WP8 or stay with android)

Thank you again...I do appreciate your input!

eric12341

Dec 1, 2009
Visit site
Contacts should sync well but if you have any contact photos on Gmail they may have their resolution decreased once synched into WP or any non-google device for that manner. I also recommend you create a new live/outlook account and use that as the primary login and then after that add your google accounts.

X0LARIUM

Aug 11, 2012
Visit site
Thank you for the responses....I started thinking about one more item (this isn't a decision maker, but would be a pain if it doesn't work how it does with Google).

Since I have been a part of android for ~4 years, all of my contacts are based off of gmail. When I update to new google phones, I just have to sign in to my Google account and all of my contacts syncs within a few minutes. It's extremely convenient. It's funny when the sales person asks if if I'd like them to transfer all the information over to my new phone...my response is simply "nope, all will sync once I sign in" and they for some are surprised.

Now, since it appears that gmail plays nice with Windows phones...do the contacts play "nice" as well or is there some sort of migration that I'd have to do? Again, not a deal-breaker, but just trying to make sure I have all the information once the new phones come out (then I'll have an honest comparison to see if I go with WP8 or stay with android)

It can happen, but u need to merge Gmail + Hotmail/Live/Outlook. Im researching this myself, so give me a day or two....I'm sure there is a way.

Here's what I've done.
1. Exported all my contacts to Excel format.
2. Made a new account on Outlook for my WP8.
3. Will import all contacts onto it.
Done!

Sent from my RaZr Nexus.

scottcraft

Aug 1, 2011
Visit site

I have my contacts synced with gmail. After you get signed into your WP with a live account you can add you gmail and sync the contacts. Works quite well.

KoukiFC3S

Nov 12, 2010
Visit site
Signing onto google on your windows phone will add contacts, calendar, and your Gmail.

CDG

Jan 10, 2008
Visit site
Signing onto google on your windows phone will add contacts, calendar, and your Gmail.

Exactly and you can go into settings and choose what to sync from your Gmail.

No different from how you are used to doing it.

mb-dape

Feb 7, 2012
Visit site
Well, just my personal though, but if you are a person who are running your own domains and also will study engineering, I think you will find WP VERY limited compared to Android.

There are things that WP does better than Android, but the email and calendar clients are a joke compared to Gmail app and calendar apps in Android. (Will MAYBE be better in WP8 though?)

Do your best to borrow a WP phone before you decide, use it for a week or two, then you will know if it is something for you or not.

eric12341

Dec 1, 2009
Visit site
Well, just my personal though, but if you are a person who are running your own domains and also will study engineering, I think you will find WP VERY limited compared to Android.

There are things that WP does better than Android, but the email and calendar clients are a joke compared to Gmail app and calendar apps in Android. (Will MAYBE be better in WP8 though?)

Do your best to borrow a WP phone before you decide, use it for a week or two, then you will know if it is something for you or not.

This thread is about him considering WP8,not WP7 so it's a little unfair to pass judgment on something that hasn't yet been released don't ya think? Plus with his needs stated WP would be sufficient.

mb-dape

Feb 7, 2012
Visit site
This thread is about him considering WP8,not WP7 so it's a little unfair to pass judgment on something that hasn't yet been released don't ya think? Plus with his needs stated WP would be sufficient.

Yes, but I still think that the best he can do is to wait until WP8 is released and then try one for himself.

And I think it would be unfair to tell him to get WP8 because we THINK it will be better?

I was just honest about email/calendar in WP7, it is years behind Android, but yet we don't know how it will be improved in WP8.

12Danny123

Mar 24, 2012
Visit site
Yes, but I still think that the best he can do is to wait until WP8 is released and then try one for himself.

And I think it would be unfair to tell him to get WP8 because we THINK it will be better?

I was just honest about email/calendar in WP7, it is years behind Android, but yet we don't know how it will be improved in WP8.

since wp8 is basically win 8 on a phone. So it's likely gonna have all win8's features. Even picture password. So it's likely everything will be improved

scottcraft

Aug 1, 2011
Visit site
I will agree that the gmail app for android is better than gmail on WP IF you are a power user of gmail. For normal use the WP client is fine. I can't speak for the gmail calender, but the hotmail calender is quite adequate for my needs. You guys are right that WP8 should be better than WP7 though.

eric12341

Dec 1, 2009
Visit site

Seems equal or ahead to me, at least on the Androids I've seen.

Dave Blake

Mod and Ambassador Team Emeritus
Jan 11, 2008
Visit site
OP the best thing you can do is to open an outlook email account then forwarded all your calenders. If you do this on your PC and like the results its safe to say you will be getting similar results on a WP8. I would bet that if you started using Outlook you would stop using Goggle all together. That is what I did.

#2 Gmaps is available on WP7 & 8 we have an app for that. If that is what you like you will have it. There are a lot of options in this category but just like on Goggle if you want the best app you will have to pay for it.

http://www.windowsphone.com/en-US/apps/7b8bedd5-4368-e011-81d2-78e7d1fa76f8

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
infohills