Is the 2D nature of WP its doom?

smoledman

Banned
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
I mean compare the live tiles to iOS/Android icons. WP tiles are flat with text, iOS icons are 3D, glossy with lighting effects. It's eye candy to the average consumer. They look at Windows Phone tiles and think that looks so 1980s and don't even consider the positive aspects of the platform. I really think Microsoft should allow 3D tiles or something.

SnailUK

Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
Depends how you look at it.

Personally using the missus' iPhone looks like windows 3.1 to me.

Sent from my HD7 T9292 using Board Express

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
If colorful buttons are important to you then you need to get a platform with shiny colorful buttons. For me, since they both perform the same task, the launch of an application, it then becomes a question of style, function and purpose. Besides, its chromeless. This is the design language of the platform. Once people learn, it becomes a moot point.

LightBulbIT

Feb 2, 2012
Visit site
I, for one, would rather use the space that you would take for "shiny, happy icons" (and yes, bevled edges and drop shadows DO take up space) and use it for information. If anything, those types of icons are "so last decade" and overdone. Look at modern web, product and print design. Everything is shifting to clean, uncluttered and functional. Get with the program! :D

cp2_4eva

Mar 19, 2012
Visit site
Information is the key. Then when they improve the notification center, we will be cooking with grease. Android has the pull down method of notification. What will we get? I like the 2D minimalist look. Would be nice to get some transparent colored tiles so my wallpaper can be seen a little.

Sent from my PI86100 using Board Express

scottcraft

Aug 1, 2011
Visit site
I personally think the tiles and hubs of WP, especially the live tile, are unmatched for attractiveness by any other platform, especially when you actually tap a tile and it flips and spins while opening the app.

sentimentGX4

Feb 23, 2012
Visit site
"Flat" doesn't call back to the 1980s. It's actually a quite modern artistic approach (and not in the practicality sense).

The biggest difference is the significant decrease in pixelation in modern GUI as opposed to in the 80s. A square is not a square is not a square. There are pixelated, color restricted squares of the 80s and there are the smooth, complete color palette squares of the 2010s.

Metro is a modern reinterpretation of an old design concept. It is daring and bold in that it takes what used to be thought of as an aesthetic restriction of the 80s and

Last edited:

Rico

Dec 30, 2009
Visit site
No, Microsoft needs more people using the platform and spreading the word about the platform. The big "whoa" moment is when you see the phone come alive with info from your friends, music you listen to, pics you post, etc. Flat, boring 2D tiles become windows to the things you care about. That's the story that Microsoft needs to tell with Windows Phone.

Scout_313

May 26, 2011
Visit site
I'd take Live Tiles over iOS's icons any day. I hate having to have all of my programs visible, even if I can hide stuff in folders (although I really don't like not being able to hide the news stand, etc). If I never use an app, I don't want to see it unless I'm going through all of my apps. I like being able to feature only my most important apps on my homescreen so that it's easy to find.

VagrantWade

Aug 27, 2012
Visit site
I mean compare the live tiles to iOS/Android icons. WP tiles are flat with text, iOS icons are 3D, glossy with lighting effects. It's eye candy to the average consumer. They look at Windows Phone tiles and think that looks so 1980s and don't even consider the positive aspects of the platform. I really think Microsoft should allow 3D tiles or something.

Maybe to my mother I guess. But I could care less if the things I am tapping have beveled edges or not...

selfcreation

Dec 16, 2010
Visit site
Meh ,from the words of the OP " eye candy"
It be nice just like a 3d screen or a quad-core++

Gimmics all Gimmics...

I'd rather useful LIVE tiles then unless 3d icons....

I look at the iPhone n it feels like im looking at a 7 year old design.. Wait a minute.. I AM!!! LOL

Sent from my SGH-i917R using Board Express

Last edited:

power5

Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
Windows-Phone-8-Start-Screen.jpg

Does not look 2d to me. They do look more like "windows" into your life with the new start screen though.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ayven