:O. RIM is gonna steal People hub features from Windows phone HOW COULD THEY!

poiman

Jul 30, 2012
Visit site
RIM to take a little from Android and Windows Phone for the contacts list in BlackBerry 10

why would RIM do this?. it says that they are taking the feature read the individual's latest tweets, Facebook status and more. on a phone contact.

They should steal features from other OSes. Not good innovation

BB10 is all about copying other OS. UI looks like Symbian, multitasking looks like meego, now contacts from android and Me hub from Windows Phone.
Hope it fails.

Big Supes

Sep 1, 2011
Visit site
BB10 is all about copying other OS. UI looks like Symbian, multitasking looks like meego, now contacts from android and Me hub from Windows Phone.
Hope it fails.

As well as featuring tiles on the homescreen.

I wouldn't worry about it... it WILL fail.

X0LARIUM

Aug 11, 2012
Visit site
Another reason to hate bb!

If I was god, I would wipe RIM and its ugly "brainchild" BB from the face of this earth AND minds of the people.

Seriously F#CK BB!

inteller

Banned
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
no it didn't, FriendStream is just a social aggregator, NOT your contacts. People Hub serves as your contacts as well as social updates and contact history.

Alex_Hong

May 11, 2012
Visit site
Gist, a contacts management program started in 2008, before the launch of windows phone. They allowed linking of contacts to social networks. RIM purchased this company and incorporated their technology into their products. Namely BB10, and playbook os 2.0. On PlayBook OS 2.0, you can view facebook, twitter, linkedin, etc, posts on the contacts app itself.

Even their current BBOS devices you can read the latest post from social networks, recent conversation, etc within the contacts app. The process is just tedious to do for lots of contacts, thus not much people actually know about it. For e.g. You actually have to go into the facebook app, find that contact, open up the menu, select "link to contact", then select that contact in your address book. It will populate the latest posts, and updates contacts photos on your phone's address book.

If you ask me, its just the evolution of the contacts app. Eventually most platform will have this i believe. Just like in the past contacts was strictly just Name and Number. Then we had email, address, and multiple numbers. Then came social networks. Then now everything is tied together. Just go to contacts and it'll pul information from social networks, email, text, im, calendars, etc.

IMO, nothing to make a big fuss out of. Also, its no good for anyone when one platform dies. The more choices there are, the better it is for consumers. I personally prefer WP, and BB, but I don't go around praying for the death of iOS and Android. They are all sizing up to be solid platforms, so lets just rejoice at the notion of choice. :D

Peace.

X0LARIUM

Aug 11, 2012
Visit site
So much hate in these forums for other operating systems. I don't understand why we want RIM to go away so bad.

Cause its time is up. Cause they have nothing in their kitty and up their sleeves to win back its lost status (if they ever had any). They don't have attractive designs, their phones lack features, and as a company they have no plan of the future. Even "BB", their (ugly) brainchild, was the proverbial one-song wonder. Lets talk about innovations. Apart from "BB" what else have they innovated? Look at MS, Google heck I would say look at even Apple. They know the game. Unlike RIM.

I used to joke with my friends having BB. Its not by a company called RIM but RIN. Research in nothing.

Sent from my RaZr Nexus.

HeyCori

Mod Emeritus
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
Hopefully RIM delivers a solid product, especially if they keep hyping it the way they do. But IMO, the UI is aesthetically displeasing. Maybe it will make more sense once RIM shows us how all the pieces fit, but right now it looks like an amalgam of several different OSs. I fear that a late start (2013), an ugly UI, and possibly a hideous chassis (their previous touch-based phones are pretty bland) could spell more doom/gloom for RIM.

palandri

Retired Moderator
Jul 25, 2009
Visit site
I think RIM needs to speed it up and get BB10 out. There are rumors flying around now saying BB10 won't be out until sometime 2013, and that's way to late if they want to keep up.

Scout_313

May 26, 2011
Visit site
So much hate in these forums for other operating systems. I don't understand why we want RIM to go away so bad.

I actually really like what they've shown of BB10 so far. Considering the fact that the PlayBook was their first stab at a whole new OS, it was pretty sweet although it was lacking some basic functionality (much like WP7 was when it was released). As far as I'm concerned, I'd love to see as many great OSes available to choose from as there's nothing wrong with having too many options.

MrBurrrns

Banned
Mar 9, 2011
Visit site
One could also make the argument that WebOS was the first OS to start this integration trend. Everybody is inspired by the competition, that's the whole point of competition - to drive the development of ideas and solutions. It's just progress.

RIM did a lot for the smartphone market, I think some people here are either too young or too ignorant to appreciate their contribution to the industry. I wish them luck, they will need it.

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
I wish RIM luck. But it's going to be tough for them.

They don't have a big ecosystem to support them. Without that, they won't be able to compete except in a very niche market.

blehblehbleh

Dec 14, 2011
Visit site
One could also make the argument that WebOS was the first OS to start this integration trend. Everybody is inspired by the competition, that's the whole point of competition - to drive the development of ideas and solutions. It's just progress.

RIM did a lot for the smartphone market, I think some people here are either too young or too ignorant to appreciate their contribution to the industry. I wish them luck, they will need it.

Yeah WebOS definitely laid the ground work for web service integration, but this is about getting status updates, something that I don't think WebOS did at the time and something that Android didn't get to it without a widget until within a recent amount of time (correct me if I'm wrong).

I also understand with what you're saying about how it's just a company following the benchmark trends that the competition establishes. Though technically, that's just an indirect way of saying who laid the groundwork first on what functionality. Not really something to get so upset about for sure, but let's not diminish credit where credit may be due in this case, which some of the comments above sort of suggest.

cckgz4

Aug 30, 2011
Visit site
I think 2013 is way too late for a release if they are showing off all of this now. The attention span of people is too short. Yes the general community probably doesn't know about this but that is more time for them to be more invested in another platform.

cgk

Nov 25, 2011
Visit site
I think RIM needs to speed it up and get BB10 out. There are rumors flying around now saying BB10 won't be out until sometime 2013, and that's way to late if they want to keep up.

Rumours? It's a fact as confirmed by RIM themselves - the first two devices will be out in 2013, likely around January/feb.

As for the wider issue here - who cares? Unless you are a MS shareholder or a corporate booster - and why someone wants to boost one faceless corporation over another is beyond me. Platforms always steal off each and that's good for the consumer because the competition forces progress.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duouser3