Will Windows Phone 8 have free wifi tethering?

saintforlife

Apr 6, 2012
Visit site
Will US carriers like AT&T, Verizon etc. try to make this a paid service like on the iPhone? Android has certain apps with which you can use your phone as a wifi hotspot and the carrier can't do anything about it. Does anything like that exist for WP7 or expected to come to WP8?

saintforlife

Apr 6, 2012
Visit site
Does Nokia Lumia 900 have free wifi tethering?

If the feature exists, does AT&T gimp the feature where you can only turn it on by paying for the separately for the hotspot service? Is there a WP7 app that enables free wifi tethering like 'Foxfi' on the Android?

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
Maybe not tethering, which today is part of your data plan, but I can see them restricting Skype/VOIP video calls to the same (expensive) plan they are pushing iphone users to. Esp with the way WP8 handles Skype calls like normal voice calls, that would be an attractive revenue stream for our beloved carriers. :dry

Dave Blake

Mod and Ambassador Team Emeritus
Jan 11, 2008
Visit site
There are no work around for free tethering that I know of at this time. This is one not necessarily ethical feature that I miss about Android. ATT adds it to your 5gig data plan so its really not that big of a deal to me.

eric12341

Dec 1, 2009
Visit site
Carriers like T-mobile bundle it into existing plans at no additional charge however, it will not be allowed in their new unlimited plan to be released in 2 weeks.

scottcraft

Aug 1, 2011
Visit site

Verizon can charge for tethering, they just can't block tethering apps from the Play store. Doesn't matter anyway, tethering is included in the shared data plans they are moving everyone to.

1jaxstate1

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
The day carriers fall down a bunch of stairs and hit their head really really hard. Never understood why they cared about what I do with my allotted data.

palandri

Retired Moderator
Jul 25, 2009
Visit site
The day carriers fall down a bunch of stairs and hit their head really really hard. Never understood why they cared about what I do with my allotted data.

It has to do with Net Neutrality. Actually the cable TV companies started it. They noticed that a lot of people were watching movies online through NetFlix's and they started demanding NetFlix pay them for the bandwidth or else they would block the IP. I think they also wanted to charge customers extra for using Netflix even though they had 250GB of monthly home Internet..

The FCC's interpretation of Net Neutrality was a person who bought X amount of bandwidth should be able to use it however they wish.

Cable companies and Wireless carriers interpretation of Net Neutrality was no government regulations on internet access.

The FCC ruled that Cable Companies had to follow their interpretation of Net Neutrality, but they imposed no regulations on Wireless Carriers, which is why they can charge for tethering.

If you Google Net Neutrality, you find a lot more information on it. I just covered the basics. There is a lot more to it.

1jaxstate1

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
I'll go read up on that. I remember back in the day, I would do 8 - 9 gig a month on my Samsung Blackjack, with a $15 per/month unlimited data with no tethering, and never head one complaint from Cingular. Boy, how times have changed.

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express

aaronarnwine

Oct 17, 2012
Visit site
Pain in the butt. I just went from the 5GB to the Unlimited Plan with T-Mobile and my tethering wouldn't work. Sent me to a page to update my plan. You cannot even add the tethering for $14.99 if you have the unlimited plan. So I didn't see it answered above: is there an app for it like on iPhone?

Doug Miller1

Nov 18, 2012
Visit site
i could do bluetooth tethering of my data connection on my old touch pro, for free, on verizon. Not now. verizon wants to charge me to use the nokia lumia 822 as a personal hotspot (wifi). It does not even offer bluetooth tethering. What a joke. I hate when they take a useful feature that was free on one phone, and then chrage u for it on another...

Guzzler3

May 4, 2012
Visit site
What pisses me off, is that with carriers, and devices, they are NOT consistent.

Example: T-mo $30/month 100min/Unlimited Text/Unlimited Voice. No tethering. BUT, you grab various Android devices, turn on tethering on the device, sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't, depending on the device (and these are stock devices, still carrier locked). Go Figure?!?!?! Apple device, tethering errors out. Blackberry Device total crap shoot, sometimes it works, sometimes not. WP, nope, nada, tells you to buy tethering package.

Talking to other people with other carriers and devices, they run into the same thing. The one consistency I have noticed (but can't really confirm), is that you are more likely to get tethering, even if you don't pay for it, with an Android device. And if it was a "Flagship" device at the time it came out, without any hacking or rooting.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rogertewarte