Question: WP7.8, WP8, W8 and W8RT

Marute

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
Hi guys. I'm not quite sure where to put this as it concerns the various windows versions for phones, computers and tablets.

But to the case: I was wondering if the apps from Windows Phone7.8 and WP8 wil be available in the WP8 and WP8RT marketplace? Or will developers have to make entirely new apps for the Windows 8 and RT?

I think in general I'm a bit confused about which apps will be available where and why so if anyone would illuminate me I would appreciate it. :D

Thanks guys!

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
Windows 7.8 apps will work on Windows Phone 8 fine.

To run on Windows RT there will need to be some changes made. Most apps will only require minor changes. If the developer is still supporting the app, and they find that it would be good on a tablet, then I would imagine that they'd port it over.

Full Windows 8 will have both RT and the full Desktop environment. Anything written for Windows RT can be run by Windows 8.

Mio_Ray

Nov 22, 2011
Visit site
So, devs will have to make at least two versions to span all platforms. One for WP and one for RT?

Sent from my Lumia 800 using Board Express

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
So, devs will have to make at least two versions to span all platforms. One for WP and one for RT?

Sent from my Lumia 800 using Board Express

Yes.

But depending on the particular app, the process could be as simple as changing a few lines of code.

poiman

Jul 30, 2012
Visit site
Yes.

But depending on the particular app, the process could be as simple as changing a few lines of code.

Yes, particularly usefull if a dev is developing a game because they usually run in landscape mod. If it is another kind of app, they usually run on portrait mode on WP while on W8/RT they run on landscape by default, so more than just a few lines of coding will need to be changed in order to keep a good UI that fits both screens right.

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
Yes. Depending on the app.

Some games might take a week or two of work to port.

Some may take even longer if they decide to replace assets with ones that will look better in HD.

Some devs might create whole new apps because they want to make use of all the extra real estate, or add special functions for keyboard shortcuts or the the right-button on the mouse.
It really depends on what the app.

Marute

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for the great replies guys. Now that I have your attention ( :D ), I was also wondering if the Surface RT (and all RT versions of W8) will have the normal desktop as well? I understand that the Surface Pro tablet will include an Intel processor and the RT won't, and that the RT will not run programs that hasn't been installed through the Marketplace. But will it show the desktop window for file management, or will that go through the Office App like on a Windows Phone?

Last edited:

jimski

Dec 11, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for the great replies guys. Now that I have your attention ( :D ), I was also wondering if the Surface RT (and all RT versions of W8) will have the normal desktop as well? I understand that the Surface Pro tablet will include an Intel processor and the RT won't, and that the RT will not run programs that hasn't been installed through the Marketplace. But will it show the desktop window for file management, or will that go through the Office App like on a Windows Phone?
No desktop view for RT. So, it will be more like a big WP ( or an iPad) in that sense, only running Marketplace apps. But there will be much more. Microsoft apps for mail, music, video, etc. And of course, Office RT2013. Plus USB support and Smart Glass. So not a desktop experience. But an exceptional experience for a tablet.

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express Pro

power5

Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
So that would make 3 versions.

Phone (smaller res)
RT (same metro app with higher res images if needed)
desktop (if they want a full fledged program, not a metro app > Think internet explorer or office)

I can not wait for win8 to come out. I am fantasizing about a x86 win8 tablet. I know for a fact what I am spending my tax returns on next year.

Siah1214

Dec 8, 2011
Visit site
No desktop view for RT. So, it will be more like a big WP ( or an iPad) in that sense, only running Marketplace apps. But there will be much more. Microsoft apps for mail, music, video, etc. And of course, Office RT2013. Plus USB support and Smart Glass. So not a desktop experience. But an exceptional experience for a tablet.

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express Pro

Actually it will have desktop, for Word, Excel, Powerpoint, Onenote, Internet Explorer, and explorer. Theoretically it can run specially compiled desktop apps.

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
Actually it will have desktop, for Word, Excel, Powerpoint, Onenote, Internet Explorer, and explorer. Theoretically it can run specially compiled desktop apps.

This.

Office for ARM will run on the desktop. But RT's version of the desktop won't run any of the programs that run on a regular x86 computer.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
velocityxs