Welcome to the Windows Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree50Likes

Global Posts
    1,735 Global Posts
    Ok...My apologies in advance to everyone here at WPC.

Please Please Please don't get me wrong...I LOVE WP8!!

But...does it strike anyone else that the simple and clean look is now slowly on its way out.

And sorry to say, but is it slowly going the Android way. Does anyone else feel that the WP8 screen looks cluttered.

Again..it is just a question and I am NOT SAYING it looks so...

I don't want to pronounce myself on this, there is a WP sheep movement that is taking place here and you can't criticize anything about windows phone and it us WP users who used to call iPhone users iSheep...
    Thanked by:
    aubreyq likes this.

No i dont think it's cluttered at all. I love the new start screen. If you dont like the little tiles you can always just use medium tiles everywhere.

Global Posts
    1,735 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by speedfreak228 View Post
    No i dont think it's cluttered at all. I love the new start screen. If you dont like the little tiles you can always just use medium tiles everywhere.
    Absolutely. I know of that. If I don't like the smaller ones, I can change it. But doesn't the knew one look slightly cluttered...? Just a question..

Sent from my RaZr NeXus.

Global Posts
    1,735 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Simon Tupper View Post
    I don't want to pronounce myself on this, there is a WP sheep movement that is taking place here and you can't criticize anything about windows phone and it us WP users who used to call iPhone users iSheep...
    I know where ur coming from man...it's not how u think it is...this place is really better than some others believe me. And yes, u CAN criticise, but as far as ur argument is valid ur good.

Sent from my RaZr NeXus.

Global Posts
    2,259 Global Posts
    With someone who has 50 tiles (which includes a few Homebrew Folders) on their Start Screen, sizable tiles will be a welcome addition. Some layouts may appear cluttered, but to the user or will probably all male sense I think it was a good way for Microsoft to offer customization, without compromising the basic look and feel of WP.

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express Pro
    Nokia Lumia 900 - OS: 7.10.8112.7 - Firmware: 2175.1002.8112.12084
    HTC Surround - OS: 7.10.8107.79 - Firmware: 2250.21.40500.502
    snowmutt likes this.

People have been asking for variable tiles since the moment Microsoft brought out wp7.

As long as its optional, I don't see how extra options can be bad for anyone.

Sent from my HD7 T9292 using Board Express

What I love about Windows Phone 8...

;)
    Google - "Don't be evil. . . much!"

Global Posts
    1,735 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Supes View Post
    What I love about Windows Phone 8...

Click to view quoted image

;)
    Make that two...I know we can keep it to the size we want. But do u think it looks slightly more cluttered as compared to the first Gen phones??

Sent from my RaZr NeXus.

I think it still looks pretty simple and straight forward. Tiles are of consistent shape and style.

Is there potential of a cluttered look? Sure. But not through the design. A bunch of custom tiles or webpage pins could end up looking cluttered. Then again, the uniformity of the tile shape still keeps a sense of order. The border widths are consistent throughout.

It's far from the look of clutter that will definitely arise from a series of inconsistent shapes, colors, shadows, reflections, etc..

When it comes to clutter, you have to make a real effort if you want to make iOS or Android look clean and uncluttered. And even with a monumental effort, you're likely to fail.

But many users don't put a clean design as priority. And in the end, as long as it doesn't hinder navigation, many users would be okay with clutter.
    suvastallions likes this.

Global Posts
    1,861 Global Posts
    I understand exactly where you are coming from. :)

I am thinking though that the "clutter" would be up to the user. All my Androids had very simple home screens and never more than three.

Right now I have 3 rows visible and two that I need to scroll up for, so if I can get these tiles so that no scrolling will be needed I will be happy and not complain about the lack of the gutter. :D

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express
    The SmartPhone Parade (2006-Now)
    QTEK 9100 > Samsung Blackjack > Treo 750 > Treo Pro > BB 9700 > Xperia X10 > Motorola Atrix > HTC Vivid > Lumia 900 > Lumia 820

Quote Originally Posted by XENOPHOS View Post
    Make that two...I know we can keep it to the size we want. But do u think it looks slightly more cluttered as compared to the first Gen phones??

Sent from my RaZr NeXus.
    Erhm, I think it could look cluttered; if you haven't organised it yourself. I look forward to grouping tools in one section, and in another - media apps, and so on.

:)

Absolutely. I know of that. If I don't like the smaller ones, I can change it. But doesn't the knew one look slightly cluttered...? Just a question..

Sent from my RaZr NeXus.
    No I don't think it looked cluttered. The so called social butterfly phone they showed at the summit did.... so I guess all small tiles that cover the entire screen might be cluttered, but windows is just so original and beautiful thats it's hard to get it to look bad. And all the tiles match in a way. Unlike my android that has different looking icons

I would have like to be able to pin EVERYTHING to the start screen, not only a few like Wi-Fi, airplane mode... etc... and also be able to personalize every tile's colour or background, that would have been awesome...

I would like to have to be able to pick a custom tile color. The light blue on my titan wasn't very manly lol. I wanted a dark blue

but like most people are saying it is up to you on how much clutter you want. if you can group small tiles to kind of use as a folder, it is a great idea. if you had a folder live tiles wouldn't be active anyways, with this arrangement, I'm sure you at least get a notification count. The one sore thing I will miss is the asymmetrical modern look of the gutter. I loved to see that little arrow in a circle flip smoothly when you went from start screen to app list. As an interior design major that leans toward contemporary modern designs, I love those little ZEN WP moments. It truly is beautiful.
    X0LARIUM likes this.

Global Posts
    1,735 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by neo nuke View Post
    but like most people are saying it is up to you on how much clutter you want. if you can group small tiles to kind of use as a folder, it is a great idea. if you had a folder live tiles wouldn't be active anyways, with this arrangement, I'm sure you at least get a notification count. The one sore thing I will miss is the asymmetrical modern look of the gutter. I loved to see that little arrow in a circle flip smoothly when you went from start screen to app list. As an interior design major that leans toward contemporary modern designs, I love those little ZEN WP moments. It truly is beautiful.
    Yes..I miss that too..but apparently lot of people complained about it...and that's why MS decided to get rid of it..

Sent from my RaZr NeXus.
    Neo Nuke likes this.

Global Posts
    1,861 Global Posts
    Yes..I miss that too..but apparently lot of people complained about it...and that's why MS decided to get rid of it..

Sent from my RaZr NeXus.
    I think a lot of people saw it as wasted space. Like others have said, the asymmetrical look was very appealing and I will miss it for sure.

The SmartPhone Parade (2006-Now)
    QTEK 9100 > Samsung Blackjack > Treo 750 > Treo Pro > BB 9700 > Xperia X10 > Motorola Atrix > HTC Vivid > Lumia 900 > Lumia 820

Quote Originally Posted by charlyee View Post
    I think a lot of people saw it as wasted space. Like others have said, the asymmetrical look was very appealing and I will miss it for sure.

I love it too, they should have add it to the app list, (the arrow would do a 180 to point back to the start menu) Anyway it's gone so let's forget about it haha

I will miss tapping the arrow continuously when I'm bored to watch it rotate (finger to finger)... sad.. but true...
    scottcraft likes this.

Global Posts
    1,735 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Supes View Post
    I will miss tapping the arrow continuously when I'm bored to watch it rotate (finger to finger)... sad.. but true...
    Yup. Loved to do it too on my HD7...but now its gone for good... :(

Sent from my RaZr NeXus.

Global Posts
    136 Global Posts
    Initially when I first saw the Windows Phone 7.8 screens my first thought screamed, overwhelming and cluttered.

But the I stepped back and realized the images merely show how much you can pack into that one screen. This does not mean you have to indulge in tiles everywhere. All this shows is how much you are in control of your tiles and the clutter you incur. So if anything Microsoft has just given the control over to the user. If it's too much clutter use only medium or larger tiles to keep it simplistic and straight-forward.

For me for example I would still use almost all medium tiles. Except for my emails, which I still pin to the start screen. I have about six email accounts for various reasons and I would love to put all those tiles on my start screen in a small section.

Nothing has really changed if you don't want it to. That's the point. You can pretend your tiles are locked like in Windows 7.5 or you can utilize the flexible tile options of 7.8.

Global Posts
    1,735 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TrophyNostalgia View Post
    Initially when I first saw the Windows Phone 7.8 screens my first thought screamed, overwhelming and cluttered.

But the I stepped back and realized the images merely show how much you can pack into that one screen. This does not mean you have to indulge in tiles everywhere. All this shows is how much you are in control of your tiles and the clutter you incur. So if anything Microsoft has just given the control over to the user. If it's too much clutter use only medium or larger tiles to keep it simplistic and straight-forward.

For me for example I would still use almost all medium tiles. Except for my emails, which I still pin to the start screen. I have about six email accounts for various reasons and I would love to put all those tiles on my start screen in a small section.

Nothing has really changed if you don't want it to. That's the point. You can pretend your tiles are locked like in Windows 7.5 or you can utilize the flexible tile options of 7.8.
    Bingo. That's why MS has created a masterpiece...u can have it ur way..though like I said earlier...I just wanted to know if was it just me who thought so...

Sent from my RaZr NeXus.

Bingo. That's why MS has created a masterpiece...u can have it ur way..though like I said earlier...I just wanted to know if was it just me who thought so...

Sent from my RaZr NeXus.
    I think it has potential but there should be more options to personalize your start menu

It looks how you want it to look as far as tiles go. I'm just happy that we have options. Being on a android forum for a while we used to have those "show your homescreen" threads. Now we can have those because there will be plenty of combinations to have. Plus our tiles and their icons have different functionality. We can get info out of our tiles, for icons on android you need widgets for the most part if my memory serves me right.

Sent from my PI86100 using Board Express
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast