I'm worried for Nokia after the leaked pics...

Timture

Aug 31, 2012
Visit site
I've got fond memories of owning a Nokia many many many years ago. Yes, it's been that long. Since deciding I will buy a WP8 this year, I looked at some of the current Nokia phones to get an idea of what to expect in case I chose Nokia. I was well aware of the overall poor sales of the Lumia 800/900 as well of the issues like purple tint on screen and data connectivity problems, but I still thought I'd consider the brand. But now after the leaks, I'm more than likely gonna pass. The phones still look thick and look too similar to the last one. Which confuses me. Nokia knows the last form factor wasn't that hot of a seller, so then why wouldn't you change it? Of course a lot of loyal Nokia customers on this forum will disagree about the form factor, and that's fine, but you can't disagree that Nokia are in trouble. You can't ignore that the current form factor of the Lumia 800/900 didn't do all that great in sales worldwide. So it makes some sense at least to get some ideas from the competition that are thriving. Specifically Samsung and to a lessor extent, HTC. These guys are bringing in the Big Screens ( which is what majority of people want ), lightness and thinness. This can't be ignored. Let me just say, it will be extremely embarrassing to Nokia if the biggest selling WP8 device is not a Nokia.

And before you disagree people don't want bigger screens, just look at the sales numbers of the GS3 and GNote, the biggest screens on the market. And if that's not enough, look at this article.

Banstyle

Jul 12, 2011
Visit site
All we can do is speculate. One would assume that Nokia is bringing lots of phones to the table, and there is more to reveal that we don't know about. We just have to wait a bit longer. :)

I do agree though that Nokia is finished if they are not the top selling WP8 manufacturer, and I want a big screen too.

jmshub

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site
So much has leaked recently and Nokia is doing all the guerilla advertising, that it wouldn't be a stretch to find they were leaking t drum up excitement. They may yet release products that we aren't expecting to see.

Sent from my SGH-i917 using Board Express

bensun6

Sep 4, 2012
Visit site
The successful big screen phones you are referring to are designed to fit their target market - spec driven android users who are most likely more tech savvy, and need to do more with their phones.

People are trending to larger phones, but the trade off for pocketablity and ergonomics will always be there. IMO 4-4.3 inch screens are a sweet spot that appeals to the mass.

Think about the iPhone, it's 3.5 screen did not stop millions from buying it because that's not why they want the iPhone...people would complain but at the end of the day other features were so appealing to their needs the screen size did not matter. (and that's a 3.5, if Nokia goes 4+ im sure it will be OK

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
Consider this.

The Windows Phone OS has had very little mindshare.

For the people that have been willing to try out Windows Phone, Nokia has managed to capture a lion's share of the market. Nokia's Windows Phone user base is about equal to all the other OEMs combined.

Nokia has been competing with Samsung and HTC in the Windows Phone space. And both Samsung and HTC have for the most part used designs that are very similar to the ones that are selling well on Android.

Yet, even with these designs available to Windows Phone consumers, Nokia is still outselling them by quite a lot.

What this lets us know is that Nokia's overall low numbers aren't a result of design. When competing against other more "popular" designs within the same ecosystem, Nokia has excelled.

Instead, Nokia's low sales volume results from Windows Phone's overall low "buy-in." Consumers have not yet considered Microsoft's ecosystem as a viable alternative.

I believe that this will change dramatically within 6 months after Windows 8 and Windows Phone 8 are released.

As a side note, if you believe the recent Nokia rumors, then you might be aware that the phones have rather large screens. 4.3" and 4.5"

Simon Tupper

Aug 27, 2012
Visit site
I never been a huge fan of nokia phones, but I am curious, they might come up with a thin and large device... Thin... sorry I had to say it again...

bensun6

Sep 4, 2012
Visit site
I never been a huge fan of nokia phones, but I am curious, they might come up with a thin and large device... Thin... sorry I had to say it again...
Thin is nice...but today's consumers put a ugly and bulky cases on their phones to protect it. Plus thin and large not very comfortable to hold. Also thin kills battery life

I really like the 800's curves, and given the tough material I didn't bother with the case.

On the other hand, while I had the 800 I also had the s2 skyrocket (thin and large). The battery was so poor and the ergo was so bad that I added a PowerSkin to it....killing any purpose of the original design

Duvi

Jan 1, 2011
Visit site
From the pictures, the 920 (if that's what is to be believed that will be released), seems pretty slim compared to the 900.

Simon Tupper

Aug 27, 2012
Visit site
Thin is nice...but today's consumers put a ugly and bulky cases on their phones to protect it. Plus thin and large not very comfortable to hold. Also thin kills battery life

I really like the 800's curves, and given the tough material I didn't bother with the case.

On the other hand, while I had the 800 I also had the s2 skyrocket (thin and large). The battery was so poor and the ergo was so bad that I added a PowerSkin to it....killing any purpose of the original design
Well the ATIV s has a 2300 mAH, it will certainly last longer than my 1300 mAH battery in my HD7... which is much thicker.

Also I have very large hands... My girlfriend's GS3 is 4.8" and it's comfortable I don't see much difference between my 4.3" screen and thick HD7 and the GS3

blehblehbleh

Dec 14, 2011
Visit site
...Which confuses me. Nokia knows the last form factor wasn't that hot of a seller, so then why wouldn't you change it? Of course a lot of loyal Nokia customers on this forum will disagree about the form factor, and that's fine, but you can't disagree that Nokia are in trouble. You can't ignore that the current form factor of the Lumia 800/900 didn't do all that great in sales worldwide.

Do you have research that shows the sales were because of the form factor (whether solely or by a huge majority)?

On a personal level, I would disagree on color just because if the default shape is a slab, I'd rather at least get one that was popping in color instead of the default metal, black, white. As for shape, yeah slabs/candy bars are overplayed.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site

Thinner isn't better for me. I played with an SGIII and had trouble keeping it from slipping out of my hand.

I prefer a large screen, but not a device that is thin, light and slippery.

Kredrian

Feb 20, 2012
Visit site
Its too generalized to say everyone wants a larger screen. My wife for example has the iPhone because it's small enough for her little hands. I on the other hand have huge paws, and even my L900 feels small in my hands. It just goes to show that companies need different ranges of devices to cover all the market.

As far as looks, while I prefer a device to look super hot, I will generally accept function over form, especially after you pop a case on your phone you rarely can tell what it looks like anyway.

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express

Averry

Feb 2, 2011
Visit site

Yeah, I see tons of people with huge bulking iPhone cases, which hide the beauty of the damn thing, and make it hard to use. My dad bought a big *** case for his GS3.

I don't think the design of these Nokia phones did anything but help it. They came late to the Mango game, released these phones when virtually nothing was new about the OS and still sold a decent amount of phones that's on a platform that was doing nothing.

Every critic and human being I know thinks they're beautiful. You can chillax man. This is the first time we're getting competitively spec'd Windows Phones and they look truly unique in this land of drab slabs. I'm excited.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
Its too generalized to say everyone wants a larger screen. My wife for example has the iPhone because it's small enough for her little hands. I on the other hand have huge paws, and even my L900 feels small in my hands. It just goes to show that companies need different ranges of devices to cover all the market.

As far as looks, while I prefer a device to look super hot, I will generally accept function over form, especially after you pop a case on your phone you rarely can tell what it looks like anyway.

It's funny because I feel the same as you about the iPhone. I prefer typing in portrait mode, not landscape mode. The new iPhone will be taller but not wider, which will not help me at all.

To me, the iPhone is not wide enough to comfortably type in portrait mode.

I also like a larger screen, since it is better for watching videos, such as Netflix.

I got spoiled by larger screens after using tiny BlackBerry devices for 3 years.

I do use a case when I am on the go, but when I'm at home I prefer to keep my device naked.

palandri

Retired Moderator
Jul 25, 2009
Visit site
Thinner isn't better for me. I played with an SGIII and had trouble keeping it from slipping out of my hand.

I prefer a large screen, but not a device that is thin, light and slippery.

I agree.

I think all manufacturers are making phones too thin and fragile. I even think a micro SIM is getting too small.

The Samsung Galaxy S3 is a beautiful phone, but can you imagine what would happen to it if you dropped it from 4ft without a heavy duty Otterbox case.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
I agree.

I think all manufacturers are making phones too thin and fragile. I even think a micro SIM is getting too small.

The Samsung Galaxy S3 is a beautiful phone, but can you imagine what would happen to it if you dropped it from 4ft without a heavy duty Otterbox case.
I wouldn't be able to even use the SGIII without an Otterbox case. I played with a naked SGIII that my financial advisor owns, and the danged thing was hard to hold.

Averry

Feb 2, 2011
Visit site
You guys would be surprised how sturdy Samsung's phones are.

The plastic is quite strong, its sort of cheap feeling, but it gives in all the right places so that it tends to survive drops quite remarkably.

Simon Tupper

Aug 27, 2012
Visit site
You guys would be surprised how sturdy Samsung's phones are.

The plastic is quite strong, its sort of cheap feeling, but it gives in all the right places so that it tends to survive drops quite remarkably.
Samsung make quality products no matter what people say, I never had problems with my Samsung Focus and I dropped it several times...

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
I just prefer a bulkier device that isn't slippery.

I'd rather not drop it than drop it a lot but not care, since it's sturdy.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rogertewarte