What's WP's answer to iPhone's killer feature?

bensun6

Sep 4, 2012
Visit site
Hi all, this is my first post.

I am a big supporter of the direction MS and Nokia are heading with WP, but iPhone has one killer feature that's locking me in apple's ecosystem - AirPlay is by far the most intelligent and useful feature i have seen in a smartphone.

In a nutshell, I have a airport express (99$) that I can connect to any speaker and turn it wireless. I can channel ALL of my iPhone's audio to the speakers with ONE click, and any video played back on the iPhone in synced to the wireless delay (which Bluetooth solutions can not achieve). Also since no pairing is involved, anyone coming over can just connect to my wifi and do the same with their music

For video I have a Appletv ($99), which can display my phone 1:1 on the screen or play videos/games full screen. This is very useful for watching a movie in the bedroom, or instantly put photos on then big screen. It's even more powerful when I use Splashtop to wirelessly access my PC in the living room and project it to the bedroom tv...eliminating the need for extra gear...

I'm looking for a discussion on this feature in WP, or any WP killer features that you can't live without and cant get else where. :happy:

Simon Tupper

Aug 27, 2012
Visit site
You'll have to wait until WP8 and Windows 8 release to have an answer, sorry to tell you that, but we are in the dark.

At the moment, nothing competes... but there is hope my friend.

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
I've heard of people using Windows Home Server to accomplish the same, including storing large music libraries and also accessing their home server when not at home.

Of course, this isn't something that the average consumer would feel comfortable setting up.

If the demand appears to be there, I'm sure there will be a third party that will make an easy consumer-friendly appliance-like version.

I'm not sure if such a thing is currently available. But I do expect to see demand to be there because the same technology will allow Windows RT tablets and Windows 8 computers to do the same.

Now that I think about it, the closest thing that comes to mind is the XBOX.

bensun6

Sep 4, 2012
Visit site
I've heard of people using Windows Home Server to accomplish the same, including storing large music libraries and also accessing their home server when not at home.

Of course, this isn't something that the average consumer would feel comfortable setting up.

If the demand appears to be there, I'm sure there will be a third party that will make an easy consumer-friendly appliance-like version.

I'm not sure if such a thing is currently available. But I do expect to see demand to be there because the same technology will allow Windows RT tablets and Windows 8 computers to do the same.

Now that I think about it, the closest thing that comes to mind is the XBOX.
I do have an Xbox, but smart glass is a standalone app right? Not universal?

cckgz4

Aug 30, 2011
Visit site
I love the airplay feature as well but more so because my boyfriend has an app that lets him watch new movies. Wait and see what they say about smart glass

SnailUK

Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
I think Microsoft vision of having the same apps across phone, console, tablet and pc, saving settings to the cloud, and being able to continue on any device.

You have similar on ipad/phone, but take it further to pc, with full applications like office, games, etc.

Its something not even apple could match.

Sent from my HD7 T9292 using Board Express

bear_lx

Jun 28, 2011
Visit site
smartglass is an answer to this, and it will be better.

even right now with a zune pass you can stream all the music you want right from your xbox to your tv... and not only music, but music videos as well. in addition it is all voice activated and controlled with kinect... far superior to airplay

Gungzwei

Apr 21, 2011
Visit site

I am a big supporter of the direction MS and Nokia are heading with WP, but iPhone has one killer feature that's locking me in apple's ecosystem - AirPlay is by far the most intelligent and useful feature i have seen in a smartphone.

In a nutshell, I have a airport express (99$) that I can connect to any speaker and turn it wireless. I can channel ALL of my iPhone's audio to the speakers with ONE click, and any video played back on the iPhone in synced to the wireless delay (which Bluetooth solutions can not achieve). Also since no pairing is involved, anyone coming over can just connect to my wifi and do the same with their music

For video I have a Appletv ($99), which can display my phone 1:1 on the screen or play videos/games full screen. This is very useful for watching a movie in the bedroom, or instantly put photos on then big screen. It's even more powerful when I use Splashtop to wirelessly access my PC in the living room and project it to the bedroom tv...eliminating the need for extra gear...

I'm looking for a discussion on this feature in WP, or any WP killer features that you can't live without and cant get else where. :happy:

The short answer is SmartGlass
Microsoft's SmartGlass gets official: app brings AirPlay-esque streams to Android, iOS and Windows Phone -- Engadget

It will support iPhone and Android, too.

Gungzwei

Apr 21, 2011
Visit site

My favorite feature of WP/MS (that you can't get elswhere) is wireless sync of my content on my PC and Zune Music subscription.

I have Zune set up on my PC to automatically pull the latest podcasts, playlists and Smart DJ mixes. Then my WP7 and Zune HD stay synced without having to plug them in to the computer.

It doesn't matter if I download new songs on my PC, phone or zune HD. They sync across all 3 without any fuss.

sinime

Retired Moderator
Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
To put it shortly, WP answer to iPhone's killer feature is: not using iTunes ;)

Seriously though, Nokia has Play To and smartglass is on the way. Nokia "Play To" can stream pics, vids and music to DLNA devices like blueray players WITHOUT Having to buy proprietary crap.

I'll have to try play to tonight... Not sure if my blueray player supports DLNA though??? Will see. Anyhow, when I have wanted to stream music, I've just used my PC to 360 to TV to receiver, but I've only done that a handful of times.

Looks like the 360 supports DLNA so I can try that route if my BD player doesn't do DLNA.

My favorite feature of WP/MS (that you can't get elswhere) is wireless sync of my content on my PC and Zune Music subscription.

I have Zune set up on my PC to automatically pull the latest podcasts, playlists and Smart DJ mixes. Then my WP7 and Zune HD stay synced without having to plug them in to the computer.

It doesn't matter if I download new songs on my PC, phone or zune HD. They sync across all 3 without any fuss.

Oh, and I'm fairly sure you can sync wirelessly on iOS if you use the cloud.

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express

Last edited:

Gungzwei

Apr 21, 2011
Visit site
To put it shortly, WP answer to iPhone's killer feature is: not using iTunes ;)

Seriously though, Nokia has Play To and smartglass is on the way. Nokia "Play To" can stream pics, vids and music to DLNA devices like blueray players WITHOUT Having to buy proprietary crap.

I'll have to try play to tonight... Not sure if my blueray player supports DLNA though??? Will see. Anyhow, when I have wanted to stream music, I've just used my PC to 360 to TV to receiver, but I've only done that a handful of times.

Looks like the 360 supports DLNA so I can try that route if my BD player doesn't do DLNA.

Oh, and I'm fairly sure you can sync wirelessly on iOS if you use the cloud.

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express
I hadn't considered iCloud. I'll have to keep it in mind for the wife and daughter.

So to the OP's question. No one has anything different. It all goes back to a little knowledge and what works best for your situation.

sconrad308

Feb 22, 2012
Visit site
The best thing with MS offers is that it doesn't cost as much as the iProduct. I'm so glad that I got of their ecosystem with minimal purchases.

jefftam68

Jul 3, 2012
Visit site
BlackBerry Music Gateway | BlackBerry Audio Adapters | CrackBerry Canada

This is a Blackberry device, but it works with any Bluetooth phone. Just plug it into the stereo and you have a BT link. Works fantastic. The OP said that BT solutions wouldn't work. I'm not sure what he meant by that. As for 'anyone coming over and hooking up through the wifi', it is just so easy to pair with this thing using the NFC. Just tap and boom, you're connected. For video, the existing BB's don't have anything, but the new BB10's will have an HDMI out, like the Playbooks do now. I don't know if the WP8's will have one. Just plug it directly into the TV or computer monitor. No need for $99 extra hardware. Although this thing costs $50 so you're not that much further ahead..

GoodThings2Life

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site
I heard somewhere that there might be an updated Kinect available this fall, though I can't for the life of me remember or find where I saw that... if they did, NFC that sucka!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vascro