Wireless Charging

Kaykoo

Aug 4, 2012
Visit site
Hey,

I have to say that I personally LOVE the wireless charging for the new Lumias however one thing that I cant find out is are the chargers powered by a normal wall socket plug or usb or is the option of either there? (like HTC do by plugging the usb cable into a wall socket plug adapter)

The reason I ask this is that I would love to eventually have one of the fatboy pillows on my desk at work to keep my new phone charged all day :D however we have to use USB for personal phone chargers at work (some health and safety rule!) but I cant figure out if they have that option...

any ideas?

Mitlov

Mar 16, 2012
Visit site
Can someone explain to me what objective advantage this has over plugging in a micro-SD charger? It's not like plugging it in is a difficult process, and either way, it's still sitting in one place on your desk while it charges.

12Danny123

Mar 24, 2012
Visit site
Can someone explain to me what objective advantage this has over plugging in a micro-SD charger? It's not like plugging it in is a difficult process, and either way, it's still sitting in one place on your desk while it charges.
for PCs and Macs

sting7k

Sep 29, 2011
Visit site
You don't have to plug it in...

SnailUK

Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
After nearly 2 years, the charging slot on my hd7 is getting a bit dodgy. Dust, dirt, and and snagging cables abusing the slot.

I like the idea of never using a cable. Especially if wireless syncing with (replacement) Zune is even better.

Sent from my HD7 T9292 using Board Express

Kaykoo

Aug 4, 2012
Visit site
I like the idea that you don't have to think about how much power you have left in the battery before deciding to plug it in. You put it down and it charges, you pick it up and it stops charging, simple, your phone should rarely, if ever, run low on battery power this way.

I also don't have to unplug cables to take or make a call whilst its charging...which I do at the moment if I'm at work.

Also, if they succeed in putting wireless charging ports in restaurants, coffee shops, airports etc.. then you can charge your phone whilst your out, without having your charger cable with you :cool:

There's also the cool factor too though :D

Squatting Hen

Apr 15, 2012
Visit site
I love wireless charging. I purchased a Touchpad with the Touchstone and that is all I ever use to charge it. Saves wear and tear on the usp port on the device, and is so simple to use.

I am glad this is coming to more devices.

larrynj

Apr 5, 2012
Visit site
Hey,

however we have to use USB for personal phone chargers at work (some health and safety rule!)

What? Who the **** made up that rule? Crazy!

Another huge advantage is that public places will start to have wireless charging pads everywhere. This technology will become standardize like the USB port. Enabling public pads to charge any device. (Expect Apple which will probably make their own) I don't think it will be long before they are charges totally wireless without the need for the pads.

cgk

Nov 25, 2011
Visit site

Not quite now but in two years or so - you go for lunch, as you are having dinner, the table is charging your phone and so on - wireless charging is quite nice in the home but the *real* action comes in a few years (if the qi standard takes off) when it started to get embedded in objects outside the home.

Kaykoo

Aug 4, 2012
Visit site
What? Who the **** made up that rule? Crazy!

Another huge advantage is that public places will start to have wireless charging pads everywhere. This technology will become standardize like the USB port. Enabling public pads to charge any device. (Expect Apple which will probably make their own) I don't think it will be long before they are charges totally wireless without the need for the pads.
lol I know it is a crazy rule!!

Its something to do with some test that all electrical devices have to pass before they can be plugged into any socket at work (cant remember the name of the test now though).

As they cant ensure that all personal electrical plugs have passed this test they don't allow you to use them incase they blow up or something!! So if you want to charge your phone, they tell you to use USB instead.

There is also a severe lack of plug sockets after all the computers and other electrical devices have been plugged in too...

Mitlov

Mar 16, 2012
Visit site
Not quite now but in two years or so - you go for lunch, as you are having dinner, the table is charging your phone and so on - wireless charging is quite nice in the home but the *real* action comes in a few years (if the qi standard takes off) when it started to get embedded in objects outside the home.

For those in Manhattan, I guess I can see that. I live in small-city Oregon, so we probably won't see this for another ten years or so.

As for the convenience issue at home, I guess I can see that...but I keep a micro-USB charger plugged into the wall at the edge of my kitchen counter and leave my phone hooked up there from time to time just as a matter of habit. Setting it on a designated pad (which you leave plugged in) just doesn't seem all that different to me than plugging it into a micro-USB charger (which ou leave plugged in).

For those who enjoy it, more power to you. But after hearing more about it, it's not a selling point for me.

sinime

Retired Moderator
Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
I can't say for certain, but if it's anything like the Pre, it will have to be plugged into the wall or a car charger. USB from a PC is just not powerful enough.

And what makes it so great, it's as simple as setting your phone on the desk to charge it. While it doesn't sound like a big deal plugging and unplugging a cable, it is just easier... You don't have to grab the end of the cable go to plug it in and realize it is upside down, flip the cable over and try again. It just works, effortlessly. One more thing that was awesome about the pre, put a touchstone in your car and couple it with a bluetooth stereo... Awesome sauce!

Granted, I don't know if the wireless system Nokia is using involves magnets to hold the phone in place like the Pre... Here is 1 of several threads from the sister forum at webOSNation...

http://forums.webosnation.com/webos-smartphone-accessories/243504-mounted-touchstone-my-car.html

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express

Last edited:

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site

It appears to mainly be for convenience.

If it's sitting on a pad to charge, then every time you put it down you're charging. Then you can pick it up and go, and return and charge.

Plugging and unplugging can be inconvenient, especially if you pick up your phone several times a day.

I imagine if I needed quick charging, I'd still use a USB cable. But when it comes to just regular every day activity, using a charging mat seems the way to go.

sinime

Retired Moderator
Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
Here is a pic of my faithfull Franken Pre 2, braving the world, wirelessly charging and acting as my MP3 player at work.... Yeah, I LUV ME SUM WIRELESSNESS... (dang phone kept focusing on the reflections :/)

jimski

Dec 11, 2010
Visit site
Think I read my first wireless charging article in 2004-05 (some company in England). I have been excited about it ever since. They were talking about office furniture; desks, conference room tables, hotel furniture all having embedded pads. What a great idea.

The technology will fast forward when a single standard rises to the top. Nokia may help. Think about this. How about a belt case with imbedded 3000mAh battery. Charge the case and every time you pouch your phone its charging. Always topped off. Can't wait.

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express Pro

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon