Does the Lumia look like a flagship device??

X0LARIUM

Aug 11, 2012
Visit site
Now DON'T get me wrong...I'm asking as the first impressions sink in. It was all a hush-hush event, don't you think so??

Yes, they showcased a lot of things...but, over all, the does the device "have what it takes" to dethrone the competition. Is it truely "flagship" as they are saying?

Honest, unsarcastic and unbiased words will surely be apprecited.

I like it, but somewhere, the sheen of the Lumia 800/900 is missing. A little, you know.

Last edited:

dkp23

Feb 3, 2012
Visit site
Is it a flagship? Sure, it is a flagship.

Will they compete with the competition? Sure, they can compete, but they will not move the market as many wp owners hope. It surely isn't happening this year or next year and perhaps beyond.

As much as people hold on to the notion that "you do not need high end specs to have a wp work great", realistically, phones are a spec war, you need the highest end specs to compete. The more powerful a phone, the more people will think it will do more and work faster. Whether that is the case or not, doesn't matter, what matters is what is on paper. Secondly, apps, app marketplace needs to be on par in terms of the must have apps with other platforms, they are not there yet and there is no certainty they will get there this year or next. I've seen announcements like chase, paypal, angry birds, but haven't see anything yet.

The lumia 920 coming out with standard specs at this point, are competing with standards that have been around for a year or so now. If they want to create a wave of excitement, they need to beat the specs, it doesnt have to be a lot, but at least match and beat.

I'd say, market share will be gained, but not at a fast rate, will be a distant 3rd for at least a year IMO.

X0LARIUM

Aug 11, 2012
Visit site

Will they compete with the competition? Sure, they can compete, but they will not move the market as many wp owners hope. It surely isn't happening this year or next year and perhaps beyond.

As much as people hold on to the notion that "you do not need high end specs to have a wp work great", realistically, phones are a spec war, you need the highest end specs to compete. The more powerful a phone, the more people will think it will do more and work faster. Whether that is the case or not, doesn't matter, what matters is what is on paper. Secondly, apps, app marketplace needs to be on par in terms of the must have apps with other platforms, they are not there yet and there is no certainty they will get there this year or next. I've seen announcements like chase, paypal, angry birds, but haven't see anything yet.

The lumia 920 coming out with standard specs at this point, are competing with standards that have been around for a year or so now. If they want to create a wave of excitement, they need to beat the specs, it doesnt have to be a lot, but at least match and beat.

I'd say, market share will be gained, but not at a fast rate, will be a distant 3rd for at least a year IMO.

awesome reply. Thanks man. Much appreciated.

cgk

Nov 25, 2011
Visit site
I think the 920 will be my next phone but I don't think it's particularly competitive - when a consumer walks into a store, I think they will look over and see that lumia thing that decided not to buy last year running that windows thingy they were not interested in.

I think WP8 will end up as a distant third like DKP23 will end up as a distant third and that's only because RIM is so dysfunctional that they will fail to get BB10 off the ground.

Last edited:

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
My question is, where are the equivalent threads for the Samsung Ativ? Why arent the same questions being asked about that device?

threed61

Jul 28, 2011
Visit site

Good analysis. The specs finally match the competition, and if wp8 turns out to be as fast as some believe it will be, speed and smooth will attract a lot of attention. I think it is a flagship device.

X0LARIUM

Aug 11, 2012
Visit site
Good analysis. The specs finally match the competition, and if wp8 turns out to be as fast as some believe it will be, speed and smooth will attract a lot of attention. I think it is a flagship device.

Er...I don't think he meant that. In fact the opposite. Specs are old.

Sent from my DROID RaZr.

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
Last edited:

tk-093

Aug 30, 2010
Visit site
Sure it's a flagship phone. I'm rocking the current Android flagship (GS3) and its a pretty boring design and if that's a flagship, so is the 920. (The Ativ is too!)

socialcarpet

Banned
Apr 4, 2012
Visit site
If they had gone with the classier matte finish of the black and blue 900, I'd be a lot more likely to say yes. Glossy plastic looks like crap though and is almost an automatic dealbreaker all by itself for me.

If I want glossy plastic junk, Samsung has mountains of it. I expect better from Nokia. I hope they go back to the matte finish by the time I'm ready for my next phone. :dry

X0LARIUM

Aug 11, 2012
Visit site
If they had gone with the classier matte finish of the black and blue 900, I'd be a lot more likely to say yes. Glossy plastic looks like crap though and is almost an automatic dealbreaker all by itself for me.

If I want glossy plastic junk, Samsung has mountains of it. I expect better from Nokia. I hope they go back to the matte finish by the time I'm ready for my next phone. :dry

Lol!!
Correct correct...I too felt so. This might,like just one tiny bit might, push me towards Samsung...just might.

I think HTC IS my last resort now..

Sent from my DROID RaZr.

PG2G

Dec 20, 2010
Visit site

Let's not kid ourselves. The Lumia 920 has specs that will match HTC and Samsung (it is the EXACT same SoC as their US-spec) until the Galaxy S IV and next gen HTC devices hit next spring. It has a camera that is best in class, and has a screen with a best in class resolution.

X0LARIUM

Aug 11, 2012
Visit site

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duouser3