Neither the 920 or 820 support T-mobile's network?

Flan Tamarind

Nov 17, 2011
Visit site
There will be no reason for me to stick around with T-Mobile if this is what we have to look forward to, again. I really want to buy a Nokia device, but I guess two floundering companies can't work together.

Mystictrust

May 26, 2011
Visit site
T-Mobile is refarming their network to support data on the 1900mhz band by the end of this year. There are scattered reports of people seeing it already, but they're rolling it out nationwide by the end of this year and beginning of next.

T-Mobile is readying support documents for iPhone, as an example, since I imagine they will be marketing this to iPhone users currently on T-Mobile who want 3G speeds, as well as iPhone users disgruntled with AT&T.

Fortunately, this will apply to ALL phones using 1900mhz - meaning any phone unlocked from AT&T will get full HSPA+ speeds from T-Mobile, including the 920 :)

T-Mobile will probably natively get the 820, but I doubt they'll actually get the 920. So buy it unlocked direct from Nokia or anywhere else (not ideal price wise for people who only buy phones using their upgrades, but it's the best we've got)

vp710

Jun 3, 2012
Visit site
Cool! I'd heard about the refarming but I didn't know it was supposed to be completed so soon! So would it mean that I should expect the same kind of data speed I get with my 710 on a monthly4G plan, on an unlocked 920? If so, I'll be getting one, and the wife will inherit the 710...

squire777

Feb 21, 2012
Visit site
If this is true about T-Mobile going away from AWS then it could mean trouble for carriers like Wind and Mobilicity in Canada for getting top phones in the future since they use AWS too.

Mystictrust

May 26, 2011
Visit site
While I highly doubt they will have every tower in the entire country switched over by the beginning of next year, it should be a large majority of their markets - of course, they're focusing on big cities first and working out from there.

This is from May, but it shows that T-Mobile will be confident enough to try and pull in iPhone users by the end of the year:

T-Mobile CTO Says Network Will Be “Should Be Ready” For iPhone Users By Fourth Quarter | | TmoNewsTmoNews

I'm confident enough in this to be betting on buying a 920 unlocked (unless someone comes out and surprises me with a 3.7" WP8 device or Lumia 800 clone before then), since I'm with T-Mobile myself.

So you're saying we could hypothetically use a AT&T Lumia 900 on T-Mobile at the end of the year and get 3G / HSPDA+?
Yes.

vp710

Jun 3, 2012
Visit site
While I highly doubt they will have every tower in the entire country switched over by the beginning of next year, it should be a large majority of their markets - of course, they're focusing on big cities first and working out from there.

This is from May, but it shows that T-Mobile will be confident enough to try and pull in iPhone users by the end of the year:

T-Mobile CTO Says Network Will Be ?Should Be Ready? For iPhone Users By Fourth Quarter | | TmoNewsTmoNews

I'm confident enough in this to be betting on buying a 920 unlocked (unless someone comes out and surprises me with a 3.7" WP8 device or Lumia 800 clone before then), since I'm with T-Mobile myself.

Yes.

Thanks very much for the help! You made my day!

anon(5335877)

Jan 27, 2012
Visit site
That's from the global site. If you notice, there's no LTE 700 or LTE 1700/2100, so these phones wouldn't have worked on AT&T's LTE network either.

If you go to the proper US site, they don't bother listing supported frequencies, probably because they haven't announced carriers yet.

Just wait, they'll announce carriers soon... I hope.

EDIT: Should have said wouldn't have worked on AT&T's network. Fixed now.

Last edited:

speedtouch

Jan 23, 2012
Visit site
Well, I certainly hope some higher-end Lumias come to T-Mobile. There's a complete lack of high-end WP7 devices on T-Mo. I hope WP8 changes that!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb