The Verge Says Nov. 2 Launch (?)

ncxcstud

Dec 16, 2010
Visit site
I was hoping for a sly announcement after the apple keynote next week basically having Nokia say - "Hey, thanks for joining the party Apple, but we'll be out a week earlier than you and 50 bucks cheaper."

Still could happen! Early November is what I expected though. Jsut a little over a month ;)

oblivman

Sep 6, 2012
Visit site
Its been known for quite a while it would launch right around then. No surprise. The butthurt over no release date was completely ridiculous.

Mitlov

Mar 16, 2012
Visit site
Ars had the same date (Nov 2) but said AT&T for the 920 and T-Mobile for the 820 (US launches).

I guess Nokia hasn't yet gotten the idea that selling the phones on nearly every carrier (like the iPhone and the Galaxy S3) is a good idea. Ah well...I'm not willing to switch carriers for the 920. Here's hoping the Ativ S or 8X come to US Cellular.

ncxcstud

Dec 16, 2010
Visit site
Ars had the same date (Nov 2) but said AT&T for the 920 and T-Mobile for the 820 (US launches).

I guess Nokia hasn't yet gotten the idea that selling the phones on nearly every carrier (like the iPhone and the Galaxy S3) is a good idea. Ah well...I'm not willing to switch carriers for the 920. Here's hoping the Ativ S or 8X come to US Cellular.

You say that like Apple has been doing that since the beginning - which they haven't. It took what, 2.5-3 years before the iPhone came to another carrier besides AT&T?

I agree, that you'd want your phone on as many carriers as possible, but it isn't like Apple started out that way.

GoodThings2Life

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site

Oh, I'm sure they know that... but they have an exclusive with AT&T for the 920 initially, and Verizon and Sprint have been slow/reluctant to adopt WP at all, so that doesn't help.

At least rumors persist that Verizon is finally waking up.

Mitlov

Mar 16, 2012
Visit site
You say that like Apple has been doing that since the beginning - which they haven't. It took what, 2.5-3 years before the iPhone came to another carrier besides AT&T?

I agree, that you'd want your phone on as many carriers as possible, but it isn't like Apple started out that way.

Apple was the first truly consumer-oriented smartphone in a market clogged with old-school, unpleasant, business-oriented smartphones. People would switch carriers for something like that because there was nothing else like it on the market.

Now every carrier has various quality Android (and often iOS) devices. Fewer people are willing to drop everything, shut down their account, accept a change in the quality of their local coverage, etc, just to get "a cool phone."

It's a very, very different smartphone market than in 2007.

aubreyq

Dec 4, 2010
Visit site
Apple was the first truly consumer-oriented smartphone in a market clogged with old-school, unpleasant, business-oriented smartphones. People would switch carriers for something like that because there was nothing else like it on the market.

Now every carrier has various quality Android (and often iOS) devices. Fewer people are willing to drop everything, shut down their account, accept a change in the quality of their local coverage, etc, just to get "a cool phone."

It's a very, very different smartphone market than in 2007.
I really hope all carriers will eventually get the 920 because it would suck to have to settle for another model if you really want the 920. I understand perfectly that not many people are going to switch carriers because of a phone. Like you said, too many factors to consider, especially coverage and monthly costs.

GoodThings2Life

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site
I honestly believe that the dates are more Microsoft driven than OEM or carrier driven at this point.

This sounds about right though... gives me some time to start saving up so I can get it and the Surface ordered at the same time.

ncxcstud

Dec 16, 2010
Visit site
I honestly believe that the dates are more Microsoft driven than OEM or carrier driven at this point.

This sounds about right though... gives me some time to start saving up so I can get it and the Surface ordered at the same time.

I wonder how much I can trade my Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1 in for to go towards a Surface tab... hmm... Though, I may have to keep the Galaxy Tab because of Viggle - it's how I'm able to get more money off of the L920 with Best Buy gift cards ;). Viggle is awesome folks... I'm hoping it gets ported over to Windows Phone 8 at some point!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duouser3