Don't worry too much about the future of Windows Phone

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
I think if we look at WP8 on its own, it's easy to feel disheartened. Any little hiccup or 'scandal' can be a huge setback because the bad news often spreads around the internet 100x faster and wider than the good news.

But WP8 isn't on its own.

There is a much bigger plan in place. Windows 8. XBOX. Windows RT. Windows Phone. Skydrive. Office. They all are part of something bigger than each individual product/system.

Alone, some of these elements may be weak. But together they will be strong.

It will just take a little time for the smaller parts. But Microsoft is patient.

I remember when MS Office was a fairly new product. WordPerfect was the standard for word processing. Lotus 1,2,3 was a powerhouse. And early versions of Office weren't as full featured.

When the XBOX first came out, people scoffed. There was no way that they could compete in the realm dominated by Sony and Nintendo. Even Atari failed miserably!

If MS is good at anything, it is making improvement after improvement without panicking. This time, they're doing it with a gigantic ecosystem instead of each product alone. It's a large undertaking. But Microsoft is probably one of the very very very few companies in the world that has the resources and talent to do it.

rockstarzzz

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
If MS is good at anything, it is HUGE pockets.

They won't stop or go empty till they see their product succeed.

So, no I'm not worried about the future. However, I am obviously concerned about where my put my ?650 of investment. Everyone should be.

Love by heart, buy by brain.

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
I'm buying into an ecosystem. Not really a product.

It's similar to how some Apple fans are so invested in Apple apps and accessories that it's hard for them to change. Over time, a person may spend thousands of dollars in apps, games, and services (including all products in the ecosystem).

My investment in MS products is linked to my belief that MS will have the most robust and desirable ecosystem for me in the future.

I use Windows. I use Office. I own an XBOX 360. I own a Windows Phone. I use SkyDrive. Etc...

Each of the three main ecosystems will only get bigger and more robust as time goes on. And to get the BEST experience, it will probably be beneficial to use the products in the ecosystem.

jhoff80

Apr 27, 2003
Visit site
Honestly, I'm not so sure. I mean I totally agree with you that it's all about the whole of Microsoft's parts, Windows 8, Office, Xbox, WP8, etc., but you only get so many chances. If WP8 isn't everything people expect, then they're missing out on their best chance to finally get momentum for the platform. As you say, Windows 8 and WP8 are going to be inextricably tied together, which is huge from a marketing standpoint, but if Microsoft blows it, how many more chances will the public give them?

GoodThings2Life

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site
If I have a fear it's that Windows Phone 8 isn't ready somehow. Whether or not they're rushing it because of the timetable for Windows 8 and launch events.

WP8 hasn't gone RTM yet, which means anything we would have seen on the 920 demos is "Beta" grade. Late beta, but beta nevertheless. So that is a little troubling... why so late?

On the other hand, it's entirely probable that there's just an intentional delay to steal thunder from Apple's launch. Just picture... Apple launches and everybody's going gaga over it, and then Microsoft says, "Hey guys, come get your SDK... and btw, checkout all the new developer features you have that weren't here before!" Then they go RTM and start revealing consumer features... maybe a big one and a few little ones to stir the pot before launch, and then they come clean on the 29th at launch and say, BTW, these are available this Friday on the 2nd.

I dunno, I'm optimistic... I don't buy into the "something is wrong" theory. I choose to be optimistic and side with the strategic launch (even though I don't like it).

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
Honestly, I'm not so sure. I mean I totally agree with you that it's all about the whole of Microsoft's parts, Windows 8, Office, Xbox, WP8, etc., but you only get so many chances. If WP8 isn't everything people expect, then they're missing out on their best chance to finally get momentum for the platform. As you say, Windows 8 and WP8 are going to be inextricably tied together, which is huge from a marketing standpoint, but if Microsoft blows it, how many more chances will the public give them?

For 4 years with the original XBOX, many people were still saying that MS should just give up. Both Sony and Nintendo had them beat by a mile.

jhoff80

Apr 27, 2003
Visit site
For 4 years with the original XBOX, many people were still saying that MS should just give up. Both Sony and Nintendo had them beat by a mile.

Yes, but they failed for four years on version 1. Version 2 was a huge success.

You can arguably look at Windows Mobile as version 1, but even ignoring that, if WP7 fails, and WP8 ends up with a bad perception due to being unfinished at launch, how many people are going to give them a third chance with WP9?

HeyCori

Mod Emeritus
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
I'm still amazed that a product with so little market share has still managed to gather so many apps and support. See, HP, that's how you support a fledgeling mobile OS.

HeyCori

Mod Emeritus
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site

You can arguably look at Windows Mobile as version 1, but even ignoring that, if WP7 fails, and WP8 ends up with a bad perception due to being unfinished at launch, how many people are going to give them a third chance with WP9?

An infinite amount if you base it on how many chances we give our political figures.

/troll

:D

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site

They were also LOSING money on every console sold for the first 2 yrs or so.

XBOX dashboard was slowly improved.

XBOX LIVE was slowly improved.

Game developers were brought on. Deals were struck.

The point is, that MS will continue to work. They will continue to improve.

I don't think it's an issue about if people are willing to give them a chance again. If people give them a chance, they'll already find a great OS. It's not like there are a lot of people that try it and are disgusted with the experience.

If MS made a truly crappy product it would be different. But Windows Phone is a great OS.

GoodThings2Life

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site
Yes, but they failed for four years on version 1. Version 2 was a huge success...

Not really... Version 2 was originally plagued with hardware issues. I'd say it was version 2.1 that got them on the right track and version "3" is Xbox + Kinect.

In any case, Microsoft has a long history of "Getting it Right" on Version 3. Never bet against them on a third time out.

WP8 is attempt 3 of Windows Phone OS, if you figure Original/NoDo, Mango/Tango, and Apollo. I'm combining the minor "patch" releases as .1 efforts for sake of argument.

jhoff80

Apr 27, 2003
Visit site
Version 2 was originally plagued with hardware issues. I'd say it was version 2.1 that got them on the right track

Well, even before they fixed the hardware issues they were selling millions upon millions of 360s.

Anyway, hopefully it won't matter. I really hope that whenever WP8 hits RTM that it's actually complete and relatively bug-free, but with how late that's happening, I am a little concerned, that's all.

ncxcstud

Dec 16, 2010
Visit site
i think at the moment, WP8 is hitting at the right time of a 'perfect' storm. Samsung, I think, will be a little leery at this point to continue diving head first into the Android market after it got the 'smackdown' from the courts against Apple. It opens them, and other Android makers in fear of being pursued relentlessly by Apple over patents, to more fully support Microsoft.

I think with stuff like the Unity engine finally being ported over to WP8, major app developers (particularly game devs) getting on the WP8 wagon, we'll see more come around.

I also think that folks will enjoy the fact that Nokia phones just look different with their bright colors and different styled devices...

It's all good. November 2nd can't come soon enough!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duouser3