Why are you upgrading from WP7.8 to WP8?

Marute

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
Hi all this is something I have been wondering so I thought, "why not ask".

When I by a smartphone for myself I usually keep it for about 2 years before getting a new one. I keep it for so long (if you can say that is a long time) partially because I most often grow very fond of my new handset, partially because I cannot afford a new phone for some time anyway (I'm a student), and partially because I find it is kind of a waste of resources to get rid of a relatively new phone after just a couple of months.

I see a lot of post around here stating that people look forward to replacing their Lumia 800's and 900's with a WP8 device and while I too am very interested in the new devices and what they have to offer, I won't replace my Lumia 800 which I bought this February.

So to get to the point my question is: why are you replacing your relatively new WP7.5 handset with a WP8? Is it because it has features that you desperately need, are you dissatisfied with your 'old' windows phone or do you just always want the lastest and best? Please note that I'm not blaming anyone for being wasteful or extravagant or anything I'm merely curious. :happy:

When I put away my euforic joy and the hype about WP8 and the new phones I see that I am personally not missing anything in my Lumia 800 and that buying a brand new WP8 device will not give me a better experience than I already have - just one more reason to keep my Lumia 800.

But what do you think, I'd like to hear your opinion on replacing your 6 month old legacy device with a brand new WP8.

Oh, and sorry if I have some grammatical errors here and there. English is not my first language and it has been a long day and I'm tired. Just thought I'd leave this one online through the night to see if I've gotten eny replies. ;) C'ya around!

jhoff80

Apr 27, 2003
Visit site
Well, for me personally, my Lumia 900 was always seen as a short-term thing. I ended up getting it for free on contract, PLUS receive a $100 credit, so that only adds to the value for the 'rental' there. While WP7 does fly on the older hardware, page rendering is just plain slow, so I'm looking forward to modern hardware for things like that.

Also, an HD display really is a huge difference. It's not that the Lumia 900 screen is bad. On the contrary, it's excellent. It's just that HD is that much better.

Finally, I'm looking forward to the assumed better integration with Windows 8 that WP8 should have. WP7 is pretty much a standalone thing now, barely connected to Windows 8 (and really, even Wireless Sync doesn't work in Zune anymore). With WP8, the two should be tied together much more closely.

Daniel Ratcliffe

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
I have some friends in America so I will be using Skype to contact them. To do that efficiently I need the Skype integration. If 7.8 has OS-level Skype integration then I will rethink whether or not to go 8 (but probably still will). If not, I will go 8 because I need the improved integration.

aubreyq

Dec 4, 2010
Visit site
Because I always want the newest version of any OS. Also, although not all WP7.8 or WP8 features have been revealed, it goes without saying that WP8 will have features that I won't get with WP7.8.

jusdis

Jul 22, 2012
Visit site
Well, for me personally, my Lumia 900 was always seen as a short-term thing. I ended up getting it for free on contract, PLUS receive a $100 credit, so that only adds to the value for the 'rental' there. While WP7 does fly on the older hardware, page rendering is just plain slow, so I'm looking forward to modern hardware for things like that.

Also, an HD display really is a huge difference. It's not that the Lumia 900 screen is bad. On the contrary, it's excellent. It's just that HD is that much better.

Finally, I'm looking forward to the assumed better integration with Windows 8 that WP8 should have. WP7 is pretty much a standalone thing now, barely connected to Windows 8 (and really, even Wireless Sync doesn't work in Zune anymore). With WP8, the two should be tied together much more closely.

Wireless sync works for me again on windows 8 RTM (shhhhh...) ;)

Also isn't Zune on its way out the door anyways so that wouldn't really be an issue anymore once that happens.

Mio_Ray

Nov 22, 2011
Visit site
4.5"
Pureview
Dual Core
PureTouch
NFC
Wireless Charging

My 800 is still the best Phone I have ever had. But the 920 have me under it's spell, can't wait to get it!

For basic WP8, the reasons include IE10, HD screens, etc....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

JPDVM2014

Sep 11, 2011
Visit site
Pureview, Wireless Charging, and HD Screen. Plus I have an issue about always needing the latest and greatest. My wife hates it. :)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lolz1234