Is WP8 business enough???

TJWINS

Aug 5, 2012
Visit site
So Daniel wrote an amusing article yesterday about why the President of the United States should carry a Windows Phone. I am a BlackBerry Bold user and the reason I joined this forum is because I will be making the switch to WP8 in November. However, my concern is that WP8 will not have the business tools even at the basic level that BlackBerry does. One example is I was at an AT&T store playing with a Lumia 900 and I couldn't find a way to send neither a contact (vcf file) nor a calendar appointment to share with my business partners. These are very basic features that are expected even of the simplest smartphone OS yet are missing in Windows Phone. I only played with the phone for 20 min but was concerned immediately but will probably make the switch anyway. So are there any other missing business features others have noticed in Windows Phone? I would especially like to hear the input of former BlackBerry users out there. So I guess my question is...Is WP8 business enough?

Last edited:

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
WP8 has a completely different back end than WP7.x.

We don't know about what's available out of the box with WP8. It is based off of the same kernel as full blown Windows on your PC, so there is a lot of potential capability.

Business appears to have more input with WP8 than it did with WP7.

bear_lx

Jun 28, 2011
Visit site
not sure what specific business features are missing as i have never used a phone for business. but i know that enterprise is something MS is focusing on and there should be a myriad of new features introduced in windows phone 8. some of which may address business needs. is it enough? absolutely not... and they know that. BB marketshare is so small right now, its not going to be a huge impact. only time will tell, i persoanlly am excited for the future of windows phones and they ecosystem...

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
Contact sharing is taken care of by Nokia Contacts Share app, no way to share a calendar appointment though, as far as I know. And Nokia today announced they will be updating the app to share via BT as well, so thats a nice bonus.

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
MS is doing a Windows 8, Skydrive, Office, etc... push at the same time as its WP8 push. I imagine their big thing is going to be about business and integration. So I expect some real solid and secure business features will be announced.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
So Daniel wrote an amusing article yesterday about why the President of the United States should carry a Windows Phone. I am a BlackBerry Bold user and the reason I joined this forum is because I will be making the switch to WP8 in November. However, my concern is that WP8 will not have the business tools even at the basic level that BlackBerry does. One example is I was at an AT&T store playing with a Lumia 900 and I couldn't find a way to send neither a contact (vcf file) nor a calendar appointment to share with my business partners. These are very basic features that are expected even of the simplest smartphone OS yet are missing in Windows Phone. I only played with the phone for 20 min but was concerned immediately but will probably make the switch anyway. So are there any other missing business features others have noticed in Windows Phone? I would especially like to hear the input of former BlackBerry users out there. So I guess my question is...Is WP8 business enough?
There are many enterprise functions that WP7 has that should appeal to you. But your concern is with WP8 and to that end, no one knows for sure what will be available out of the box or through apps. That being said, some of the functions you noted such as file sharing is definitely a glaring omission on Microsoft's part. As a former BB user myself, we know that RIM used bluetooth for OBEX quite liberally. No such luck with Windows Phone. Or Apple for that matter. Bluetooth DUN? Fuhgeddaboutit. To paraphrase Steve Jobs, oh and one more thing, PDF files cannot be attached to emails with WP7.x. All these functionalities are the main reason I'm back on Windows Mobile.

tk-093

Aug 30, 2010
Visit site
Truth is we don't know. The OS isn't even done yet. As we talked in another thread, there is a WP7 app to export vcards. Not ideal, but it is there. I'm hoping it becomes built-in.

As for calendar appointments, I just went into my old Focus, opened a calendar invite and did an 'edit', then selected 'more details' and I was able to add more invitees.

WP8 via ActiveSync policies, will finally add the big 'Device Encryption' policy that has been missing from WP since launch. That's a big policy that larger companies that use ActiveSync have been waiting for... especially financial companies that need device encryption.

The BBOS can be a very complex OS with about 1.2 million different settings and options to tweek. There is no other device OS that can compete on a lot of those features. It's still the ideal OS for the hardcore emailer, but remember BBOS as we know it is dead and will be replaced by BB10, which may or may not be as feature rich as the current OS.

Scott8881

Sep 12, 2012
Visit site
TJWINS, I'm in the same position, couldn't agree with you more. Us BlackBerry users are used to having a really rich feature set that makes getting work done on your BB very easy. I would hope that MS recognizes that they have a huge opportunity to take folks away from BB, iOS and Android, but if some of the key basic features are not there, it's going to be a deal breaker. I'm eagerly awaiting the WP8 platform and Surface, hoping to finally have one cohesive environment that interoperates seamlessly with more robust computer-like features.

snowmutt

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
I hope so. That as one of the top features listed in WP 8 promo's. "Enhanced business" has to come, otherwise this ecosystem ain't going to excel.

crystal_planet

Jul 6, 2012
Visit site
TJWINS, I'm in the same position, couldn't agree with you more. Us BlackBerry users are used to having a really rich feature set that makes getting work done on your BB very easy. I would hope that MS recognizes that they have a huge opportunity to take folks away from BB, iOS and Android, but if some of the key basic features are not there, it's going to be a deal breaker. I'm eagerly awaiting the WP8 platform and Surface, hoping to finally have one cohesive environment that interoperates seamlessly with more robust computer-like features.

I don't understand why more o/s vendors aren't focusing on these concerns. As bad a shape as RIM is in now, the things BlackBerry did well, no one else can touch. I agree with you wholeheartedly.

dlcpa

Oct 18, 2011
Visit site
I don't understand why more o/s vendors aren't focusing on these concerns. As bad a shape as RIM is in now, the things BlackBerry did well, no one else can touch. I agree with you wholeheartedly.

RIM has Blackberry Desktop Manager. If WP8 had that plus the equivalency found between MS Office and WM6, should be frickin natural, I'd seriously consider a large WP8 phone.

dlcpa

Oct 18, 2011
Visit site
I read somewhere that WP8 will support ActiveSync.

It would be nice if MS told someone what they plan to do before we make our decisions on IPhones and Samsungs, I saw that too about ActiveSync but I am not sure if that's for local backing up or for Exchange Servers, or for sync with the Cloud? Don't you have to sync with Clouds or do you just access whatever is there, so there are no contacts are your phone or computer?

Then there is the issue of how many MS Office fields will WP8 mirror? In WM6 it was all of them. In WP7 and 7.5 it was not and mapping was necessary for the fields that were missing.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
It would be nice if MS told someone what they plan to do before we make our decisions on IPhones and Samsungs, I saw that too about ActiveSync but I am not sure if that's for local backing up or for Exchange Servers, or for sync with the Cloud? Don't you have to sync with Clouds or do you just access whatever is there, so there are no contacts are your phone or computer?

Then there is the issue of how many MS Office fields will WP8 mirror? In WM6 it was all of them. In WP7 and 7.5 it was not and mapping was necessary for the fields that were missing.
I only use ActiveSync to back up files anyway. Email, contacts and calendars I use Exchange only because I can access it from anywhere if my laptop is not with me. Supposedly ActiveSync is being supported because WP8 will be using desktop kernels. As for "Cloud" backup, I guess I'm just too old or old school to trust sensitive files or info to a server somewhere in Bangladesh. I have some pictures and music on Skydrive because of their large size.

tk-093

Aug 30, 2010
Visit site

Good Mobile Messaging is pretty much a replacement for Blackberry and is probably the reason OS vendors have not tried to introduce anything else. For those who don't know, Good is pretty an app that sync all your email/calendar/contacts.. they have a secure browser that lets tyou get intranet access.

Is it 100% as good as a Blackberry for email. No, but for 95% or more of users it sure is, plus it lets them use iPhone/Android,Windows Phone to boot.

Blackberry shot itself in the head years ago by not bringing a sandboxed Blackberry app to iOS and Android. If they had, all those companies who pitched their Blackberry devices would STILL be writing checks to RIM for BES and CALs. Instead we pay somebody else.

They deserve their fate.

cgk

Nov 25, 2011
Visit site
I read somewhere that WP8 will support ActiveSync.

Desktop ActiveSync? Highly unlikely - look at how windows 8 desktop is build - it is all geared up to being a conduit for the cloud. I will be amazed if this is provided with wp8.

Sent from my Lumia 800 using Board Express

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
Desktop ActiveSync? Highly unlikely - look at how windows 8 desktop is build - it is all geared up to being a conduit for the cloud. I will be amazed if this is provided with wp8.

Sent from my Lumia 800 using Board Express
Took me a while to find it but here it is - Exclusive: Windows Phone 8 Detailed | Pocketnow

Be prepared to be amazed.

It's not ActiveSync as we remember it, but it is a desktop syncing tool. BTW, ActiveSync went the way of the dinosaur with WM5. With Vista and WM6 it was Windows Mobile Device Center and there is a difference.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
Active sync was made with Windows Mobile in mind. It's pretty old school now

**Sent from my Windows Phone using Board Express**
I've read enough threads from people moaning and complaining about Zune not being able to sync anything except music, video and pictures. I guess old school has its place in the world after all.

crystal_planet

Jul 6, 2012
Visit site
Took me a while to find it but here it is - Exclusive: Windows Phone 8 Detailed | Pocketnow

Be prepared to be amazed.

It's not ActiveSync as we remember it, but it is a desktop syncing tool. BTW, ActiveSync went the way of the dinosaur with WM5. With Vista and WM6 it was Windows Mobile Device Center and there is a difference.
Great article - informative but not gushing.

Edit: apparently it's also really old. February.

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tallgeeselll05