Why So Much Hate

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
I haven't been on these boards much lately because of my job demands but it seems as though I haven't missed much. By coincidence or fate, I stopped perusing these boards after the MS decision to not offer WP8 on legacy devices. The levels of frustration were understandable but totally unacceptable for a "civilized" society, much less an enthusiast's forum like this. Fast forward 3 months and I'm seeing the same venom being spewed at the new Nokia offerings. I'm not a young man by any stretch and I've seen many products with loyal followings succeed after decades on the market. Credit goes to Apple on this one. Whether you like the iPhone or not, and I don't, you have to be objective enough to give credit where credit is due. Wall Street can back me on that one.

What puzzles me the most is that NOBODY knows what WP8 will truly bring. We know what iPhone 5 brings to the table because it was introduced today. I was reading a thread that Dave Blake rightfully closed regarding wireless charging on the new Lumias. Unless you've owned webOS devices in the past, most people have no idea how it works or how convenient it is. Ever broke the charging port on a device before? OK then.

If this community doesn't get its act together, Windows Phone will end up like webOS with just a rabidly loyal handful of followers on a dead platform. Microsoft does not enjoy the market share to have its most ardent supporters bickering over trivial points. Believe it or not, we are WP's ad campaign. If we moan and belly-ache out in the real world as we do here, anybody within earshot will remember to stay away from MS phones. It's fun to rib Android, iOS and their loyalists, but let's keep the hate out. It's very unbecoming. I wouldn't want to stay away for another 3 months. Peace, love and hair grease.

scottcraft

Aug 1, 2011
Visit site
One would think Nokia stole money from half the members on here since their WP8 announcement. I don't see why so many are upset at Nokia.

baseballbert

Aug 14, 2011
Visit site
I haven't been on these boards much lately because of my job demands but it seems as though I haven't missed much. By coincidence or fate, I stopped perusing these boards after the MS decision to not offer WP8 on legacy devices. The levels of frustration were understandable but totally unacceptable for a "civilized" society, much less an enthusiast's forum like this. Fast forward 3 months and I'm seeing the same venom being spewed at the new Nokia offerings. I'm not a young man by any stretch and I've seen many products with loyal followings succeed after decades on the market. Credit goes to Apple on this one. Whether you like the iPhone or not, and I don't, you have to be objective enough to give credit where credit is due. Wall Street can back me on that one.

What puzzles me the most is that NOBODY knows what WP8 will truly bring. We know what iPhone 5 brings to the table because it was introduced today. I was reading a thread that Dave Blake rightfully closed regarding wireless charging on the new Lumias. Unless you've owned webOS devices in the past, most people have no idea how it works or how convenient it is. Ever broke the charging port on a device before? OK then.

If this community doesn't get its act together, Windows Phone will end up like webOS with just a rabidly loyal handful of followers on a dead platform. Microsoft does not enjoy the market share to have its most ardent supporters bickering over trivial points. Believe it or not, we are WP's ad campaign. If we moan and belly-ache out in the real world as we do here, anybody within earshot will remember to stay away from MS phones. It's fun to rib Android, iOS and their loyalists, but let's keep the hate out. It's very unbecoming. I wouldn't want to stay away for another 3 months. Peace, love and hair grease.

+1, the tribe seems to be a little more restless than normal. I haven't seen a "what do you love about WP?" thread in a while.

brmiller1976

Aug 5, 2011
Visit site
I thought we'd already established that the hate is due to the fat checks that we critical posters are receiving from the Super Duper Secret Nokia Hater Society? ;)

Villain

Mar 6, 2011
Visit site
I don't get the hate? how many androids are stuck with outdated versions? android phones are still being released with icecream sandwhich. wp7 devices are still getting updates and upcoming new features are they not?

rockstarzzz

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
I don't get the hate? how many androids are stuck with outdated versions? android phones are still being released with icecream sandwhich. wp7 devices are still getting updates and upcoming new features are they not?

The question is though, do we want to be Android?
Flash back 6 months and we boasted about how fragmented Android is. What now? You are now advocating fragmentation? I am not hating anything, I am just hunting for logic. Why do we want more WP7.x phones being released along with WP8? Don't we want all Jelly beans instead of ICS?

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
The question is though, do we want to be Android?
Flash back 6 months and we boasted about how fragmented Android is. What now? You are now advocating fragmentation? I am not hating anything, I am just hunting for logic. Why do we want more WP7.x phones being released along with WP8? Don't we want all Jelly beans instead of ICS?
Not that one has anything to do with the other but I'll offer a parallel. Back in 1973 when the towel-heads gave us the oil embargo, Ford downsized the Mustang to a pinto-based abortion. Loyalists screamed to no end. Ford called it the "wave of the future" and $1 per gallon gas. Ford stuck to their guns and the Mustang II was a smash sales success for the first couple of years. Gas went back down and the rest is history. Flash forward 35 years and Microsoft is telling us that WP8 and its kernel is the "wave of the future". We're not getting anymore 7.x devices (cheap Chinese knock-offs don't count) so MS is telling us to grow up. I hope that MS's decision works as well as Ford's did, but even if it fails they're right, we need to accept it and move on. The "Greatest Generation" tells us to pull ourselves by our bootstraps and soldier on. That's about the only thing they got right.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ailanamargarett