Welcome to the Windows Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Results 1 to 23 of 23
Like Tree5Likes
  • 3 Post By AngryNil
  • 1 Post By koolkid09
  • 1 Post By AngryNil
  1. lj8915's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    2 Posts
       #1  
    I still haven't seen a good video of wp8 multitasking. Anyone have one? I'm curious to see if everything will be able to multitask or just a few apps.
  2. vp710's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    433 Posts
    Global Posts
    449 Global Posts
    #2  
    Background tasks will be able to run. Separately 8 main apps will be allowed to be "frozen" (accessible through the back button). Functionality basically stays the same I think.

    The background tasks part is a big deal. It means devs can get access to background location and VOIP (oh yeah!) services on the same level as the OS.
  3. 12Danny123's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    1,706 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,271 Global Posts
    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by vp710 View Post
    Background tasks will be able to run. Separately 8 main apps will be allowed to be "frozen" (accessible through the back button). Functionality basically stays the same I think.

    The background tasks part is a big deal. It means devs can get access to background location and VOIP (oh yeah!) services on the same level as the OS.
    Though I think you can kill the apps now. like windows 8
    - Xbox Account: SocialDanny123 Twitter: @SuDanny123

    Lived in LA USA now moved to Auckland New Zealand :-)

    Other devices:
    Nexus 5
    IPhone 5C
    Blackberry Z10

    [IMG][/IMG]
  4. vp710's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    433 Posts
    Global Posts
    449 Global Posts
    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by 12Danny123 View Post
    Though I think you can kill the apps now. like windows 8
    Can you? Awesome!
  5. 12Danny123's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    1,706 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,271 Global Posts
    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by vp710 View Post
    Can you? Awesome!
    I dunno I think So. But I find it likely because MS is porting all the features from Windows 8 Wp8. So Yes it's likely
    - Xbox Account: SocialDanny123 Twitter: @SuDanny123

    Lived in LA USA now moved to Auckland New Zealand :-)

    Other devices:
    Nexus 5
    IPhone 5C
    Blackberry Z10

    [IMG][/IMG]
  6. lj8915's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    2 Posts
       #6  
    I hated having to hold the back button to go back to an app where it was left off. I would like to be able to tap the app correctly and have it be where I left off (in wp7 they always start from the beginning). Will this be possible in wp8?
  7. #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by lj8915 View Post
    I hated having to hold the back button to go back to an app where it was left off. I would like to be able to tap the app correctly and have it be where I left off (in wp7 they always start from the beginning). Will this be possible in wp8?

    Just seems more natural to use the back button to switch apps. Imagine being in another one and want to switch, you'd have to goto the homescreen, find its icon and then tap it. Rinse and repeat. When you can save much time by going to the task switcher.
  8. Jakoh's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    139 Posts
    #8  
    back button multitasking is a boat load of crap. you have no control when the app closes, sometime they close by themselves. i want to start an app, have it run, then close when i tell it, not when i open another app.
    i want to download email attachments, while i read other emails and draft an email and use a sports tracker and have two documents opens all at the same time.
  9. AngryNil's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    1,383 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,387 Global Posts
    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by Jakoh View Post
    i want to start an app, have it run, then close when i tell it, not when i open another app.
    You want a phone that lags and freezes because it will run out of memory.
  10. turbulent's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    52 Posts
    Global Posts
    180 Global Posts
    #10  
    ^^

    I have an older palm Treo pro running 6.5... that would satisfy the request to have apps stay opened.....


    Hated the constant resets... forces me to keep my palm Centro
  11. maverick786us's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    824 Posts
    Global Posts
    826 Global Posts
    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by eric12341 View Post
    Just seems more natural to use the back button to switch apps. Imagine being in another one and want to switch, you'd have to goto the homescreen, find its icon and then tap it. Rinse and repeat. When you can save much time by going to the task switcher.
    I think just like Maemo of Nokia N900 they should have the option of a close button for an application in Task Manager
    (Gaming Rig)
    CPU............................Intel E8400 @ 3.6Ghz
    Mobo....................................ASUS P5Q Pro
    RAM.............................4GB G.Skill DDR2 800
    HDD................................WD 6400AAKS HDD
    GPU............................MSI Cyclone GTX 460
    PSU..............................Corsair 650TX 650W
    Case..............................................CM 690
    Display...................Dell SP2208WFP (22 inch)
    O.S.........................Windows 7 Ultimatum 64
  12. diapers's Avatar
    Developer

    Posts
    93 Posts
    Global Posts
    151 Global Posts
    #12  
    So much for dual core. Freezing apps in the background? I thought this was why they left the CE core to the NT core.
  13. AngryNil's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    1,383 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,387 Global Posts
    #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by tuufly View Post
    So much for dual core. Freezing apps in the background? I thought this was why they left the CE core to the NT core.
    There are plenty of quad-core devices on the market today which do the exact same thing. Why would you want apps unnecessarily running in the background, potentially eating up CPU cycles and draining the battery?
  14. Coreldan's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    2,532 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,540 Global Posts
    #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by AngryNil View Post
    There are plenty of quad-core devices on the market today which do the exact same thing. Why would you want apps unnecessarily running in the background, potentially eating up CPU cycles and draining the battery?
    Cos some apps need to be able to run in the background to be of any use.

    It's more about allowing for a whole new different thing, most apps dont really have to run in the background, but some do.
  15. power5's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    1,208 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,590 Global Posts
    #15  
    Second post says apps will have access to stuff while in the background. So even though the app state is frozen its still getting info from sensors.
  16. tk-093's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    1,409 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,768 Global Posts
    #16  
    Android multitasking... which is not true multitasking, but pretty close, blows. I can hit the home button out of Bad Piggies, for example, on my GS3 and many times Watchdog will pop up saying it is using a lot of CPU in the background.. WFT? The Endgadet app on Android is another example of an app that goes out of control on Android. Has since it was introduced. That type of multitasking is unneeded.

    You guys can probably think of more examples, but for me, the biggest things that need to "multitask" are:
    (1) VPN Clients - no need to explain this one..
    (2) Background audio/music - ditto
    (3) Third party email clients - Good Mobile Messaging is a good example. On iOS obviously the app only runs when you are in it. This means if I get 50 emails, they will not appear in Good until I launch the app and sit and wait for them to all download. Also that means that it will not notify me of calendar appointments unless the app is running. (Yes they use the push network for calendar, but that requires the internet.. something a tablet, for example, might not always have.
    (4) Maybe things like VMWare View so it can maintain a connection when you are not in the app....


    Those are the big ones I can think of, I'm sure there are a few more. I do not want the Android model... it's not the best.
  17. koolkid09's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    83 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,082 Global Posts
    #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by TK093 View Post
    Android multitasking... which is not true multitasking, but pretty close, blows. I can hit the home button out of Bad Piggies, for example, on my GS3 and many times Watchdog will pop up saying it is using a lot of CPU in the background.. WFT? The Endgadet app on Android is another example of an app that goes out of control on Android. Has since it was introduced. That type of multitasking is unneeded.
    Blasphemy.

    Sent from my Nexus S 4G using Tapatalk 2
    tk-093 likes this.
  18. tk-093's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    1,409 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,768 Global Posts
    #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by koolkid09 View Post
    Blasphemy.

    Sent from my Nexus S 4G using Tapatalk 2
    I still like it better then iOS... :)
  19. AngryNil's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    1,383 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,387 Global Posts
    #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by Coreldan View Post
    most apps dont really have to run in the background, but some do.
    So we should allow them all to run in the background, then? Cause our phones to lag, and eventually freeze?
    The far superior alternative is to create a robust catalogue of background agents that will sip power, hardly impact the processors and still achieve the intended purposes.
    Villain likes this.
  20. socialcarpet's Avatar
    Banned

    Posts
    1,893 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,966 Global Posts
    #20  
    Quote Originally Posted by AngryNil View Post
    You want a phone that lags and freezes because it will run out of memory.
    Exactly.

    I'm amazed so many people still don't understand how modern memory management works on smartphones.

    The phone doesn't NEED you to close apps. It's more than capable of "parking" the apps, freeing up memory whenever needed and closing them when they idle for a long time without any human intervention.

    This reminds me of all the dopes still using Android task killers, not realizing they are actually making their phone less stable by needlessly killing processes.
  21. #21  
    About multitasking.....
    Apperantly with the new NT kernel magic happened and Microsoft removed the limit of 5 or 8 apps running in the background.
    Watch the video about the Lumia 920 at Tests de mobiles en vidos et photos | Actualit mobile and you'll see that there is an infinite limit ;_;
  22. AngryNil's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    1,383 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,387 Global Posts
    #22  
    Quote Originally Posted by calvininmotion1 View Post
    About multitasking.....
    Apperantly with the new NT kernel magic happened and Microsoft removed the limit of 5 or 8 apps running in the background.
    Watch the video about the Lumia 920 at Tests de mobiles en vidos et photos | Actualit mobile and you'll see that there is an infinite limit ;_;
    I thought I watched the testmobile video and only counted eight. But more importantly, it's not NT magic. It's perfectly possible on your device today, you literally edit one value in the registry (of course, you need to use some hacks to get access to it). I have mine set to fifteen.
  23. #23  
    Quote Originally Posted by AngryNil View Post
    I thought I watched the testmobile video and only counted eight. But more importantly, it's not NT magic. It's perfectly possible on your device today, you literally edit one value in the registry (of course, you need to use some hacks to get access to it). I have mine set to fifteen.
    surely its NT magic, you can run 15 apps by editing the reg only because the support from NT core is there. You cannot if the support is not there, no matter if you set it to 100 or 1000.

Posting Permissions