Lumia 920 to be the next leader ?

addman

Sep 8, 2012
Visit site

You shouldn't go so much on what tech sites says. Most people who are frequenting those sites/blogs aren't the same people that buys an iPhone. Tech interested people vote on such polls and those people are usually Android or WP users, everybody else uses iPhones. That poll doesn't mean anything to me, iPhone will sell in droves for the foreseeable future but come 2 generations of WP8 handsets and we might see some bigger shifts in marketshare. These things don't happen overnight. I think though, this line of Lumias will definitely do better than the last, I'm certain of it. Since Nokia and MS don't have the marketing genius and such a large core of hardcore users as Apple they'll have to rely on word of mouth and it will take some time.

Also, in these discussions I'd like to point out that hardware spec will never sway an Apple user nor will it sway a non-Apple user to get a WP. Only us tech interested care about numbers and figures, "normal" people want to know what they can actually do with their phone and that's where Nokia and MS have a real edge, you've got the fantastic Nokia apps, a camera that -IMO- will revolutionize the way people think of and use a mobile camera, a mobile camera that isn't just about useless megapixels but you can actually take non-blurry pics with it in low light conditions. It cannot be mentioned enough or overestimated how important the camera of the 920 will be for sales. WP8 will be just as important, something fresh, something personal, easy and seamless to use and features that haven't been disclosed yet.

Xaphoon148

Aug 25, 2012
Visit site
You shouldn't go so much on what tech sites says. Most people who are frequenting those sites/blogs aren't the same people that buys an iPhone. Tech interested people vote on such polls and those people are usually Android or WP users, everybody else uses iPhones. That poll doesn't mean anything to me, iPhone will sell in droves for the foreseeable future but come 2 generations of WP8 handsets and we might see some bigger shifts in marketshare. These things don't happen overnight. I think though, this line of Lumias will definitely do better than the last, I'm certain of it. Since Nokia and MS don't have the marketing genius and such a large core of hardcore users as Apple they'll have to rely on word of mouth and it will take some time.

Also, in these discussions I'd like to point out that hardware spec will never sway an Apple user nor will it sway a non-Apple user to get a WP. Only us tech interested care about numbers and figures, "normal" people want to know what they can actually do with their phone and that's where Nokia and MS have a real edge, you've got the fantastic Nokia apps, a camera that -IMO- will revolutionize the way people think of and use a mobile camera, a mobile camera that isn't just about useless megapixels but you can actually take non-blurry pics with it in low light conditions. It cannot be mentioned enough or overestimated how important the camera of the 920 will be for sales. WP8 will be just as important, something fresh, something personal, easy and seamless to use and features that haven't been disclosed yet.

You may be right about much of that, but have heard non-tech people talking about
"I want that yellow phone that was in the newspaper"...
And so do I :)
A shiny yellow one ;)

X0LARIUM

Aug 11, 2012
Visit site
Yes it will be...

seeing the reviews people are giving it and seeing even a lay-man's reaction to it, it is good to assume yes...

aubreyq

Dec 4, 2010
Visit site
I agree with addman. The success of the Lumia 920 will rely on word of mouth and advertising that focuses (no pun intended) heavily on the 920's camera. The ads shouldn't mention the OS too much. Microsoft already tried that. The idea is to sell the phone. People will figure out the OS part later.

Mio_Ray

Nov 22, 2011
Visit site
Also the Lumia is being heavily compared to the iPhone these days. Anyone reading up on the iP5 will get the story of the Lumia as well :)

Sent from my Lumia 800 using Board Express

Heron_Kusanagi

Feb 27, 2012
Visit site
As long as it gets into the mainstream discussion. It's a great sensational story after all, L920 with all the hardware innovations that Apple lacked.

However, the real deal is when Windows 8 comes out AND gets compared to as a whole ecosystem to what Apple and Google provides. The concept of Modern UI is another issue too. We love it, but when pushed to others who see W7 as perfectly usable, will they find the tiles as appealing? It's along the lines of 'I really like the hardware, but the software's a bit iffy as I don't like tiles on W8.' So it will be a hard sell if that scenario happens.

And I got to be honest, I like the idea of RT and WP8 on the post PC set of smartphones and tablets, I just don't think the same set of rules apply for the traditional desktop/laptop paradigm.

mmacleodbrown

Sep 7, 2012
Visit site
As long as it gets into the mainstream discussion. It's a great sensational story after all, L920 with all the hardware innovations that Apple lacked.

However, the real deal is when Windows 8 comes out AND gets compared to as a whole ecosystem to what Apple and Google provides. The concept of Modern UI is another issue too. We love it, but when pushed to others who see W7 as perfectly usable, will they find the tiles as appealing? It's along the lines of 'I really like the hardware, but the software's a bit iffy as I don't like tiles on W8.' So it will be a hard sell if that scenario happens.

And I got to be honest, I like the idea of RT and WP8 on the post PC set of smartphones and tablets, I just don't think the same set of rules apply for the traditional desktop/laptop paradigm.

This is my big fear as well, if metro proves unpopular on the desktop, then it could affect sales of WP8. It will be a shame if it does as Metro is actually very good, it took me a couple of days to get everything how I wanted, I had to read a fair few guides and how to's, Im very impressed, I just hope MS do a bit more to help people with the transition..

Heron_Kusanagi

Feb 27, 2012
Visit site
This is my big fear as well, if metro proves unpopular on the desktop, then it could affect sales of WP8. It will be a shame if it does as Metro is actually very good, it took me a couple of days to get everything how I wanted, I had to read a fair few guides and how to's, Im very impressed, I just hope MS do a bit more to help people with the transition..
Well, I am planning on getting a Surface tablet to replace my Made-In-China Android tablet this coming fall just to see if I can survive on Metro alone on a bigger screen. I think the Metro concept is brilliant with touch. I just don't really see it yet with keyboard + mouse. Still, we can believe that MS is in it to win it like before. It wouldn't be fun otherwise.

jusdis

Jul 22, 2012
Visit site
I've been using windows 8 with mouse and keyboard for the last four or five months. AT FIRST it was a little confusing. But just like everything else new to a person, hands on use will improve as you get accustomed to it.

brmiller1976

Aug 5, 2011
Visit site
Whichever Windows Phone ships on the most carriers will be the most successful of them. Period.

That's likely to be a toss-up between the ATIV S and Lumia 820.

The 920 will be a "boutique phone" due to carrier exclusivity. The average person is unlikely to switch carriers (or import a dodgy overseas unlocked version and hope it works).

The only thing preventing Nokia from getting more sales is their stubborn insistence on providing exclusives. They sold only 300,000 900s in the USA due to the AT&T tie-up. If they'd shipped it on T-Mobile as well, I bet they'd have sold at least a million of them.

cluberti

Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
I wouldn't doubt AT&T exclusivity at first as that seems to be Nokia's MO, but rumors are out there that the 82x and 92x will find their way to other carriers like Verizon, and maybe even Sprint and T-Mo in the US. That would be a big deal for Windows Phone - the "hero" WP device on all the major carriers in the US. If the same thing can be done in other markets, it will at least be the start of WP taking away real marketshare from Android devices and the iPhone. It won't be the end, it will just be the beginning, but with marketshare comes mindshare and product comfortability. If the device can do what you want it to do, and comes from a vendor you know (and also you know others using it, usually that helps with the tentative crowd), you can start to build on that.

Here's hoping this is the start of a viable 3rd wheel ;).

brmiller1976

Aug 5, 2011
Visit site
If the 920 isn't available on T-Mo when the ATIV S and HTC 8X are, I'll be picking up one of the latter two. So will a lot of other people.

The days of "the device leading the sale" are long-finished. Apple proved that when they relented and launched on Verizon and Sprint. Nokia should learn from that experience and go with it... but, they seem unwilling to.

Especially after months of people tired of waiting from July, I doubt folks will withhold sales from Samsung and HTC in the hope that Nokia blesses them with a top-level handset on their preferred carrier "eventually." Rather, they'll buy the best handset they can, from whoever is selling it.

A big part of winning, as Samsung proved and Apple is learning, is ubiquity. If Nokia's not willing to go big on ALL the carriers with their best handset, they're not going to be able to claim to "lead the charge."

Disappointing 900 sales are strong evidence of that. Hopefully they've taken notes.

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
Whichever Windows Phone ships on the most carriers will be the most successful of them. Period.

The 920 will be a "boutique phone" due to carrier exclusivity. The average person is unlikely to switch carriers (or import a dodgy overseas unlocked version and hope it works).

The only thing preventing Nokia from getting more sales is their stubborn insistence on providing exclusives. They sold only 300,000 900s in the USA due to the AT&T tie-up. If they'd shipped it on T-Mobile as well, I bet they'd have sold at least a million of them.

I don't think there has been a device sold on both of these carriers that didn't sell better on at&t. To actually suggest that tmo would sell more than double what at&t sold with a smaller subscriber base is quite hard to believe.

Villain

Mar 6, 2011
Visit site

Agreed.... Nokia isn't in a position to be offering bids for exclusives. Flat out they need to get the flashy device in as many hands as possible.

12Danny123

Mar 24, 2012
Visit site
Agreed.... Nokia isn't in a position to be offering bids for exclusives. Flat out they need to get the flashy device in as many hands as possible.
Well I am seeing a lot of international carriers putting the 920 at their line up. One carrier was CDMA. I think T-mobile Germany or China Mobile. and the 920 is going on that carrier. wouldn't that mean the 920 is going to Verizon too?

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
I don't think Nokia is going into this suggesting exclusivity. It's likely AT&T telling Nokia that they will push the Lumia 920 as a hero phone for X number of months if they get an exclusivity period. Otherwise, Nokia has to just advertise on their own and HOPE that salespeople recommend the device.

Nokia isn't bargaining from a position of strength in the US.

smoledman

Banned
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site

China Mobile serves 600 million people. AT&T Wireless serves about 40-50% of American wireless customers. The Lumia 920 will fail not because of carrier exclusivity.

12Danny123

Mar 24, 2012
Visit site
I don't think Nokia is going into this suggesting exclusivity. It's likely AT&T telling Nokia that they will push the Lumia 920 as a hero phone for X number of months if they get an exclusivity period. Otherwise, Nokia has to just advertise on their own and HOPE that salespeople recommend the device.

Nokia isn't bargaining from a position of strength in the US.
Well I think for some places Nokia will do exclusives. But in North America. Don't see that happening. not in the US

smoledman

Banned
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Also the Lumia is being heavily compared to the iPhone these days. Anyone reading up on the iP5 will get the story of the Lumia as well :)

Sent from my Lumia 800 using Board Express

Yes it's very heavy compared to the iPhone 5. That will be a huge knock against it. It's heavier then the Galaxy S3 too.