Welcome to the Windows Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree6Likes
    Mod Emeritus

Global Posts
    5,300 Global Posts
    If Microsoft gives us proprietary chat then you can pretty much bet it will be built around Skype.

Quote Originally Posted by Figure 8 Dash View Post
    If Microsoft gives us proprietary chat then you can pretty much bet it will be built around Skype.
    Which would not be terrible.
    Android convert, I think this windows thing could really take off, though Ubuntu Phone looks promising too........BB who?
    Lumia 822

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Ackerman View Post
    Which would not be terrible.
    That's where we are heading. Windows live messenger is being tied into skype. Hasn't WLM been available on wp7 since day one?????

Global Posts
    2 Global Posts
    WP8 does have proprietary chat when u use the "room" feature. it uses Skype/WLM which of course is available to non WP8 folks, but is indeed exclusive when in a room.

Global Posts
    365 Global Posts
    WP has had a proprietary chat service since day one. 2 actually. Windows Live Messenger and Facebook are integrated into the SMS app. And eventually WLM will become Skype.
    Sprint (9 1/2 years) - Samsung SPH-A460, Sanyo PM-8200(S), Samsung A900 "Blade" & Samsung SPH-M620 "Upstage" simultaneously (2 lines), Samsung Instinct & Samsung Upstage simultaneously (2 lines), Palm Pre & Palm Pixi simultaneously (2 lines), HTC Evo, HTC Arrive::::Verizon (since March 2012) - iPhone 4s, HP Pre3.....[S]Looking forward to going back[/S] Finally back to Windows Phone with the HTC 8x [S](iPhone 4s as work line, HP Pre3 to play with)[/S]...now on a Nokia Lumia Icon. Love my Gen 1 Surface RT!!

Global Posts
    153 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by minzegwu View Post
    WP8 does have proprietary chat when u use the "room" feature. it uses Skype/WLM which of course is available to non WP8 folks, but is indeed exclusive when in a room.
    Yea, isn't everyone forgetting about "rooms"? It was a big talking point at the launch keynote for wp8...
    Windows phone 8. Born in the year of our lord twenty twelve

But you would still have to have the recipient of the message as a WLM or FB contact. WLM works fine for contacts you already have in WLM but I found there's no easy way to add someone new as WLM contact from the phone.

I have contacts that use WLM on both their phone and PC but they are not on my WLM contact list. In the People hub, WLM is not an option when I view the messaging options in their tile. One of us has to go into the WLM client on the PC, initiate a friend or contact add request, the other then has to approve it. Only after all this will there be an option on the phone to message someone by WLM.

iMessage is much more simple. You only need to know the cell number or email assoiciated with the iMessage account. You can message anyone on iMessage as long as you knew their number or email.

I also find sending pictures over WLM through the phone broken. It either takes way too long or fails completely and I usually have to resort to switching from WLM mode to SMS/MMS mode to send the pics as that usually goes right through.

Hopefully full Skype integration will fix all this.

Global Posts
    223 Global Posts
    Proprietary chat made sense in the early days of blackberry where you had corporations rolling out bb's to their workforce. Now with how fragmented the market for smartphones is, the need is for good cross platform chat clients be that skype or whatsup
    Laura Knotek likes this.

Global Posts
    197 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Bulaon View Post
    But you would still have to have the recipient of the message as a WLM or FB contact. WLM works fine for contacts you already have in WLM but I found there's no easy way to add someone new as WLM contact from the phone.

I have contacts that use WLM on both their phone and PC but they are not on my WLM contact list. In the People hub, WLM is not an option when I view the messaging options in their tile. One of us has to go into the WLM client on the PC, initiate a friend or contact add request, the other then has to approve it. Only after all this will there be an option on the phone to message someone by WLM.

iMessage is much more simple. You only need to know the cell number or email assoiciated with the iMessage account. You can message anyone on iMessage as long as you knew their number or email.

I also find sending pictures over WLM through the phone broken. It either takes way too long or fails completely and I usually have to resort to switching from WLM mode to SMS/MMS mode to send the pics as that usually goes right through.

Hopefully full Skype integration will fix all this.
    if there WLM email address is in your contacts it should show up in your people hub as online

Quote Originally Posted by pillswoj View Post
    Proprietary chat made sense in the early days of blackberry where you had corporations rolling out bb's to their workforce. Now with how fragmented the market for smartphones is, the need is for good cross platform chat clients be that skype or whatsup
    Totally agree. Jabber or some XMPP based protocol should be used so we have the possibility of using different clients. The issue is who runs the service as a whole and who pays for it. I'd like to see something like the phone system which is federated with I interconnections between providers.

Right now whatsapp seems to be leading the way, but iMessage has obviously captured a lot of iPhone users into a proprietary solution.
    Quote Originally Posted by PhilR8 View Post
    Go to Messaging

Open a conversation with someone you know that has a Windows Phone, or start a new conversation with that person

If you open an existing conversation, tap on the "Switch" icon at the bottom of the screen (the two arrows, facing left and right) and select "Messenger." Now you're sending them a WLMessenger message.

If you start a new conversation, start typing in the contact's name. You should see contacts appear via autocomplete, and there should be an option to send it to their telephone number or to them as a "Messenger" message.
    Ok, I tried this and am not getting an option for messenger when I try to send to someone I know has the same phone as me! what am i doing wrong? :(

The person you are trying to contact might not have a microsoft/ messanger account yet? ( this is possible when you first get the phone )

Even if they have a messenger account, they would need to add you as contact or you would need to add them as a contact. There is no way to do that over the phone. From your computer one of you would need to sign into Windows Live Messenger then send the other a request to add that person as a Messenger contact. The other person then needs to also sign on to Windows Live Messenger on a PC and approve the request.

Quote Originally Posted by FinsUpDNC View Post
    if there WLM email address is in your contacts it should show up in your people hub as online
    It didn't for me. I had to send a request through Windows Live Messenger on my PC. The contact then had to approve the request also from a PC through Windows Live Messenger. It was only then and after my phone synced with my MS account did I have the option to send a message through Messenger.
    ohh i see how it works. thats pretty cool actually
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12