Welcome to the Windows Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 40
Like Tree6Likes
  1. crystal_planet's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    997 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,045 Global Posts
       #1  
    I just noticed WP7 or 8 has no equivalent to iPhone's iMessage or BlackBerry Messenger.

    Why is that?

    It's not an important feature for me; more of a curiosity. Maybe the trend is to go away from proprietary chat apps?
    My next phone...
  2. cp2_4eva's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    755 Posts
    #2  
    Maybe they preferred to have chat open to everyone instead of just their own users? I mean it's a smart move if you ask me. Because more people own androids than they own iphones. So why even limit yourself. Apple is very good at limiting folks. It's what they do best.
  3. palandri's Avatar
    Retired Moderator

    Posts
    7,277 Posts
    Global Posts
    9,504 Global Posts
    #3  
    I've never understood the need for proprietary chat. I use SMS to chat with people. I really don't understand why WP would need it.
    Check out the great deals on Windows Phone Accessories: http://store.wpcentral.com
    Laura Knotek likes this.
  4. cp2_4eva's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    755 Posts
    #4  
    I think what he meant was a pure chat program. like Yahoo messenger. But with iOS it's only reserved for Mac and iphone users.
  5. palandri's Avatar
    Retired Moderator

    Posts
    7,277 Posts
    Global Posts
    9,504 Global Posts
    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by cp2_4eva View Post
    I think what he meant was a pure chat program. like Yahoo messenger. But with iOS it's only reserved for Mac and iphone users.
    I guess I am a bit ignorant on what Yahoo Messenger can do. What can Yahoo Messenger do that SMS/MMS can't?

    Like I said, I am a bit ignorant on this issue because I don't use them.
    Check out the great deals on Windows Phone Accessories: http://store.wpcentral.com
  6. #6  
    the only thing I liked about bbm is the confirmation of read/delivery.
  7. 1jaxstate1's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    3,239 Posts
    Global Posts
    3,470 Global Posts
    #7  
    I use IM+ to connect to AIM (yes AOL) and yahoo. It uses the data connection. I can understand why someone would want to not use SMS, I don't understand the need for a proprietary system.

    IM+ could use some work I know.
    Goodbye Dooley! You will NOT be missed!:@
    Bring back the WeeeeeBeeeeaaarrrr
  8. 1jaxstate1's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    3,239 Posts
    Global Posts
    3,470 Global Posts
    #8  
    You have to pay for text messages, yahoo chat would be free.
    Quote Originally Posted by palandri View Post
    I guess I am a bit ignorant on what Yahoo Messenger can do. What can Yahoo Messenger do that SMS/MMS can't?

    Like I said, I am a bit ignorant on this issue because I don't use them.
    Goodbye Dooley! You will NOT be missed!:@
    Bring back the WeeeeeBeeeeaaarrrr
    Thanked by:
    palandri likes this.
  9. charlyee's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    304 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,925 Global Posts
    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by palandri View Post
    I guess I am a bit ignorant on what Yahoo Messenger can do. What can Yahoo Messenger do that SMS/MMS can't?

    Like I said, I am a bit ignorant on this issue because I don't use them.
    I am not sure about Yahoo Messenger but SMS/MMS does not have group chat feature. Also BBM etc is data based and thus eliminates the need for a messaging package.

    To the OP, I think the the trend is cross OS messing now and and there are many good apps out there. We use GroupMe and our group has WP, Android, and iOS users. So a dedicated chat wouldn't work for us.



    Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express
    The SmartPhone Parade (2006-Now)
    QTEK 9100 > Samsung Blackjack > Treo 750 > Treo Pro > BB 9700 > Xperia X10 > Motorola Atrix > HTC Vivid > Lumia 900 > Lumia 820
    Thanked by:
    palandri likes this.
  10. palandri's Avatar
    Retired Moderator

    Posts
    7,277 Posts
    Global Posts
    9,504 Global Posts
    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by 1jaxstate1 View Post
    You have to pay for text messages, yahoo chat would be free.
    Quote Originally Posted by charlyee View Post
    I am not sure about Yahoo Messenger but SMS/MMS does not have group chat feature. Also BBM etc is data based and thus eliminates the need for a messaging package.
    Thanks for that. I guess since I have unlimited SMS/MMS, I didn't think about pay per SMS/MMS or a chat client simply using data.

    Can you tell I am not much of a chatter. :D
    Check out the great deals on Windows Phone Accessories: http://store.wpcentral.com
  11. cp2_4eva's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    755 Posts
    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by palandri View Post
    Thanks for that. I guess since I have unlimited SMS/MMS, I didn't think about pay per SMS/MMS or a chat client simply using data.

    Can you tell I am not much of a chatter. :D
    Yeah, I used to think the same thing. My brother in law doesn't have an SMS plan, so he uses other means to get his chats/SMS thing going. things like IM+ are GREAT for that. I really ought to be more money saving oriented and do like he does. It's crazy the things ATT make you pay for. Well, many US carriers in general. Man, they gouge!
  12. PG2G's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    453 Posts
    #12  
    It sounds like WP8 will have a proprietary chat with the rumored Rooms feature. We'll have to wait and see the details of what it is and how it works.
  13. 1jaxstate1's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    3,239 Posts
    Global Posts
    3,470 Global Posts
    #13  
    THIS! I really shouldn't be shelling out money for a text plan. I'd say 95% of the people I text with have smartphones, yet we're not smart enough to make a stand and say "NO more paying for text". It's a shame that we just throw money to AT&T/Carriers.
    Quote Originally Posted by cp2_4eva View Post
    Yeah, I used to think the same thing. My brother in law doesn't have an SMS plan, so he uses other means to get his chats/SMS thing going. things like IM+ are GREAT for that. I really ought to be more money saving oriented and do like he does. It's crazy the things ATT make you pay for. Well, many US carriers in general. Man, they gouge!
    Last edited by 1jaxstate1; 09-19-2012 at 09:35 AM.
  14. aubreyq's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    1,245 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,267 Global Posts
    #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by 1jaxstate1 View Post
    THIS! I really shouldn't be shelling out money for a text plan. I'd say 95% of the people I text with have smartphones, yet we're not smart enough to make a stand and say "NO more paying for text". It's a shame that we just throw money to AT&T/Carriers.
    AT&T coaxed me into an unlimited text plan because it would also add more voice minutes. I don't use voice that much but the other two lines in my plan do. Still, I feel like I'm wasting the whole unlimited text thing because between all lines I don't think we hit 300 texts a months. That would be a lot different if my children had cell phones but they don't have phones, yet.
  15. crystal_planet's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    997 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,045 Global Posts
       #15  
    I agree with most here. BBM was nice because it didn't use text and it was updated in real time, but there's no need for single platform chat these days

    **Sent from my Windows Phone using Board Express**
    My next phone...
  16. 1jaxstate1's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    3,239 Posts
    Global Posts
    3,470 Global Posts
    #16  
    The only reason I have text plan is because I use it a lot. But I could be using a IM program for the same purpose. I have a 400 a month voice plan and only use about 100 minutes a month. I wished they offered a 150 minute plan.

    Most people with these smartphones really use them for facebook and web browsing and don't really know how to take advantage of a smartphone true features, so I'm stuck getting text messages saying "hi". :(
    Quote Originally Posted by aubreyq View Post
    AT&T coaxed me into an unlimited text plan because it would also add more voice minutes. I don't use voice that much but the other two lines in my plan do. Still, I feel like I'm wasting the whole unlimited text thing because between all lines I don't think we hit 300 texts a months. That would be a lot different if my children had cell phones but they don't have phones, yet.
    aubreyq likes this.
  17. #17  
    I prefer cross-platform IM apps, since I have friends who have iPhones/Androids/BlackBerrys. I have unlimited SMS, but many of my friends do not.

    The app I like is WhatsApp, since it is cross-platform and uses data.
  18. Adam Ackerman's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    5 Posts
    #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by 1jaxstate1 View Post
    You have to pay for text messages, yahoo chat would be free.

    unless you have unlimited talk and text and limited data such as we do on Verizon. I hate IM+ and it seems to be the best of the worse. I just came over from an android to a lumia 822, love the phone, the reboot issue is getting troublesome though. my only real complaints are in regards to the apps. I know it is early in the game and things will get better, but damn, could we not at least have a good yahoo IM app???? the Facebook chat works nice integrated and Skype seems decent, never really used it before.
  19. tk-093's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    1,410 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,771 Global Posts
    #19  
    WP8 does have "proprietary chat." It has Windows Live Messenger. Also Windows Live Messenger is getting folded into Skype so eventually it will be that.

    I, too, only use SMS which some Facebook sprinkled in there. SMS is the only thing that 100% of all my family/friends/coworkers have.

    I don't praise Apple that often, but I do totally love how iChat works. You just simply send somebody a SMS and if they are on an iOS device it goes out the data connection via iChat and if not, it does a SMS. Pretty damn simple indeed.
  20. FinsUpDNC's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    193 Posts
    Global Posts
    197 Global Posts
    #20  
    Quote Originally Posted by tk-093 View Post
    WP8 does have "proprietary chat." It has Windows Live Messenger. Also Windows Live Messenger is getting folded into Skype so eventually it will be that.

    I, too, only use SMS which some Facebook sprinkled in there. SMS is the only thing that 100% of all my family/friends/coworkers have.

    I don't praise Apple that often, but I do totally love how iChat works. You just simply send somebody a SMS and if they are on an iOS device it goes out the data connection via iChat and if not, it does a SMS. Pretty damn simple indeed.
    just make sure you have send as text if cant use imessaget option off if you have friends overseas. My wife rang up quite the international texting bill when imessage goes down. w8 has facebook and messenger built into it's chat which is their version of this. I like having the facebook in there as 99% of my iphone/android friends have facebook app or messenger on their phone.
  21. UnfixedPyle's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    83 Posts
    #21  
    I was really happy using Kik on WP7, but I can't seem to make the live tile update on WP8. I was on a limited texting plan, and using Kik was my way of keeping my sms under 200. When I went to my L920, I got my wife a L820 and we switched to one of the new shared data plans that has unlimited talk, unlimited text and of course limited data. Now I don't mind just using sms, but the group feature and the speed is not as good as Kik or something similar. I think the carriers are now realizing that data is where they can "exploit" the customers for more money and are limiting that on the new plans as opposed to limiting talk and text. By giving us an unlimited plan except for data, they get you back into using their network for voice and messaging instead of looking to use chat program or a VOIP service. I still have people that I message frequently that don't have unlimited sms though, and it would be nice if there was something that integrated into WP8 and was also cross platform.
    Adam Ackerman likes this.
  22. MF73's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    104 Posts
    #22  
    Quote Originally Posted by tk-093 View Post
    WP8 does have "proprietary chat." It has Windows Live Messenger. Also Windows Live Messenger is getting folded into Skype so eventually it will be that.

    I, too, only use SMS which some Facebook sprinkled in there. SMS is the only thing that 100% of all my family/friends/coworkers have.

    I don't praise Apple that often, but I do totally love how iChat works. You just simply send somebody a SMS and if they are on an iOS device it goes out the data connection via iChat and if not, it does a SMS. Pretty damn simple indeed.
    How do you get Windows Live Messenger on your WP8 Phone, I searched the app store, nothing came back with this, am I being dumb...
  23. Jan Knudsen's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    24 Posts
    #23  
    Quote Originally Posted by MF73 View Post
    How do you get Windows Live Messenger on your WP8 Phone, I searched the app store, nothing came back with this, am I being dumb...
    wlm is build in
  24. PhilR8's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    216 Posts
    Global Posts
    266 Global Posts
    #24  
    Go to Messaging

    Open a conversation with someone you know that has a Windows Phone, or start a new conversation with that person

    If you open an existing conversation, tap on the "Switch" icon at the bottom of the screen (the two arrows, facing left and right) and select "Messenger." Now you're sending them a WLMessenger message.

    If you start a new conversation, start typing in the contact's name. You should see contacts appear via autocomplete, and there should be an option to send it to their telephone number or to them as a "Messenger" message.
  25. MF73's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    104 Posts
    #25  
    Quote Originally Posted by PhilR8 View Post
    Go to Messaging

    Open a conversation with someone you know that has a Windows Phone, or start a new conversation with that person

    If you open an existing conversation, tap on the "Switch" icon at the bottom of the screen (the two arrows, facing left and right) and select "Messenger." Now you're sending them a WLMessenger message.

    If you start a new conversation, start typing in the contact's name. You should see contacts appear via autocomplete, and there should be an option to send it to their telephone number or to them as a "Messenger" message.
    Ah, well I never knew that, been messing about with skype up to know. Good to know. I just had to change one thing to get this to work as it would not work at first, when in messenging, click the centre icon at the bottom of the screen, and choose available, I was set to offline, once I turned this on it logged in and works as you say. Cheers!!!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions