Nokia trash-talking about HTC's launch

blehblehbleh

Dec 14, 2011
Visit site
I agree with the other sentiments, this speech by Nokia is just marketing and competitive ribbing. Like above, Apple did it with PC's for years, though perhaps a bit less aggressive in presentation.

Nevertheless, it did help Apple's image of being trendy and cool while introducing the mac to a wider audience.

I don't think it's that big of a deal to be up in arms over. Personally, I think Nokia has a tiny right to be proud and lay a bit of smack talk because they know they're pushing other hardware advancements aside from the typical shrinking of components (though I'll admit the amp is nice, but far from enough).

brmiller1976

Aug 5, 2011
Visit site
"PureMotion HD+" is a meaningless marketing term. HTC could have called their (lovely) screen the "HTC MegaAwesomeview" and then claimed to have "advanced the state of the art."

OIS hasn't been demonstrated in a credible way. It's still vaporware. Something HTC and Samsung have been kind enough to NOT point out (though if Nokia continues its "ribbing," it wouldn't surprise me if one of them does).

blehblehbleh

Dec 14, 2011
Visit site
"PureMotion HD+" is a meaningless marketing term. HTC could have called their (lovely) screen the "HTC MegaAwesomeview" and then claimed to have "advanced the state of the art."

OIS hasn't been demonstrated in a credible way. It's still vaporware. Something HTC and Samsung have been kind enough to NOT point out (though if Nokia continues its "ribbing," it wouldn't surprise me if one of them does).

So having an LCD that comprises of Clear Black polarizing film, less ghosting, and sensitivity to gloves is meaningless marketing? Granted the name is generic marketing but you can't belie the tech behind the screen.

I guess you haven't been looking at the videos floating around; the real hands on demos. Also I'm pretty sure I asked you to look at them and explain to me how they're faked because you seem to know the answer.

Big Supes

Sep 1, 2011
Visit site
Nokia is totally committed to Windows Phone. If they want to poke fun at the competition (after delivering something superior), I'm all for it. It's just a bit of fun, whilst reminding these Android OEM's that Windows Phone won't just take any old re-shelled device you throw at it.

1jaxstate1

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
Yes, Apple's PC software is in a ****ty position compared to Windows.
Is that why Apple regularly takes digs at other companies?
I don't see the iPhone taking shots at anyone in any ads.

Nokia wants people to forget they were on the brink of mobile destruction. So they do this cheeky crap to divert attention. The NOKIA LUMIA 800/7XX/900! was going to be their big comeback phone. Not. So now it's the 920 turn. How about you just shut up until you sell more phoens eh.

Last edited:

Simon Tupper

Aug 27, 2012
Visit site
People bash on Lumia because there is too much people behind it as if it was the best phone to be ever made... when actually it's a nice phone , but it could have been better if they had found a way to make it thinner and lighter...

It's not as if Nokia fanboys were not putting other manufacturers down.... it takes two players to make it a game...

eric12341

Dec 1, 2009
Visit site
Nokia is totally committed to Windows Phone. If they want to poke fun at the competition (after delivering something superior), I'm all for it. It's just a bit of fun, whilst reminding these Android OEM's that Windows Phone won't just take any old re-shelled device you throw at it.

The HTCs that were announced today aren't re-shells.

Big Supes

Sep 1, 2011
Visit site
People bash on Lumia because there is too much people behind it as if it was the best phone to be ever made... when actually it's a nice phone , but it could have been better if they had found a way to make it thinner and lighter...

It's not as if Nokia fanboys were not putting other manufacturers down.... it takes two players to make it a game...

Lumia hasn't taken a bashing. The 800 and 900 have picked up numerous awards and the 920 has attracted serious amounts of positive press. Things are looking bright for Nokia Lumia. This thread is about Nokia bashing on the competition, in case you didn't know.

brmiller1976

Aug 5, 2011
Visit site
So having an LCD that comprises of Clear Black polarizing film, less ghosting, and sensitivity to gloves is meaningless marketing?

No, but the name is.

Granted the name is generic marketing but you can't belie the tech behind the screen.

Nobody was. The rest of us just wish Nokia would give HTC the same courtesy.

I guess you haven't been looking at the videos floating around; the real hands on demos.

There are none. Just carefully controlled experiments performed by Nokia reps after Nokia got busted for faking the initial "demo ad."

Again, I'm content to let sleeping dogs lie, but slamming the competition in classless attack advertising when your own technology isn't ready for prime time -- and after being caught red-handed trying to fake otherwise -- is just plain classless.

You don't see Samsung or HTC doing that to Nokia. HTC could have just as easily held a little rally outside of Nokia's event (just like Nokia did at Samsung's) and said "come back in a few weeks for the REAL Windows Phones -- pricing, carrier availability and launch times!" But they didn't.

That's class. Nokia could use some of that (or at the very least, more hands working on getting their non-functioning tech working, priced and shipped).

Simon Tupper

Aug 27, 2012
Visit site
That's because they don't need to...yet ;)
Apple's approach this year is interesting, they made the price lower than it should be to get queues in front of their Apple stores, which is smart.

Think about when you want to go in a club or restaurant.
If there is a line-up then it means that it's popular and a good place to eat/dance(arguably)

So when people see that huge line-up in front of an Apple store on TV and the reporter that asks people "Why are you waiting in line" and that people answer "Well I want to get the iPhone 5 as quickly as possible!" THAT creates a buzz, people sees it as a "cool" product, it's popular then it's good! (arguably)

anon(5335877)

Jan 27, 2012
Visit site

Meaningless? So basically you're saying that Nokia took a screen, did nothing to it, then gave it a name?

Yes, Apple's PC software is in a ****ty position compared to Windows.

I don't see the iPhone taking shots at anyone in any ads.

Nokia wants people to forget they were on the brink of mobile destruction. So they do this cheeky crap to divert attention. The NOKIA LUMIA 800/7XX/900! was going to be their big comeback phone. Not. So now it's the 920 turn. How about you just shut up until you sell more phoens eh.

Apple doesn't in any ads, but I feel like they sort of do in their presentations.

1jaxstate1

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
The pricing is the same as it has been for the past few years. $199, $299, and $399.

Are you all now attacking "lower" prices? Well then, how about that $99 Nokia Lumia launch price.
Apple's approach this year is interesting, they made the price lower than it should be to get queues in front of their Apple stores, which is smart.

Think about when you want to go in a club or restaurant.
If there is a line-up then it means that it's popular and a good place to eat/dance(arguably)

So when people so that huge line-up in front of an Apple store on TV and the reporter that asks people "Why are you waiting in line" and that people answer "Well I want to get the iPhone 5 as quickly as possible!" THAT creates a buzz, people sees it as a "cool" product, it's popular then it's good! (arguably)

brmiller1976

Aug 5, 2011
Visit site
So basically you're saying that Nokia took a screen, did nothing to it, then gave it a name?

No, I am saying that the screen brand is meaningless (and a great deal of the polarizing film value proposition was overhyped, if the 900 is anything to go by).

On the flip side, Nokia has essentially stated that HTC's new phones are just "rebranded" versions of devices that they're already selling. Funny how nobody seems in a tizzy about *that* obvious falsehood.

Once again, Nokia can say anything it wants, but all criticism of Nokia is unfair. :p

Simon Tupper

Aug 27, 2012
Visit site
The pricing is the same as it has been for the past few years. $199, $299, and $399.

Are you all now attacking "lower" prices? Well then, how about that $99 Nokia Lumia launch price.
In fact the iPhone 5 as a higher manufacturing price, so it's cheaper (in a way) They sell it for less than they should. A little bit like what Microsoft do with the Xbox.

1jaxstate1

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
It's a $35 BOM bump. The iPhone 4S or the Nokia Lumia 900 wouldn't go for what you can get them from carriers {with a contract}. Trying buying any of these phone direct, then you'll see the true cost.
In fact the iPhone 5 as a higher manufacturing price, so it's cheaper (in a way) They sell it for less than they should. A little bit like what Microsoft do with the Xbox.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos