What's with these massive phones?!

tomatoes11

Sep 21, 2012
Visit site
Where's the problem with just addmitting that there are things Apple does right? Sure, screen size preferences may differ, but don't you think it's a little simple to explain the iPhone's success only with a blind, over-loyal fanbase? I have been a iPhone user for years, enjoy my iPad and an iMac. This fall however I'm going to get a Lumia 920 - the reason for this is not lacking hardware design, it is the software that became too dated, too skeumorphic, too shiny and full of useless gradients, shadows, reflections. While I prefer Microsofts purely digital and minimal approach to interface design and think that Nokia does well with its bold hardware ideas, hardware-wise the iPhone still wins in my book. Perfect screen size, solid surfaces, clean lines, metal instead of plastic, lightweight and thin. It doesn't have to be the phone of your choice, but saying it's bad seems to be a very subjective, biased and exclusive opinion.

The problem with Apple though is the discrepancy between great, reduced, minimal hardware and overly playful, busy and skeumorphic software. As said before, the latter turned me to WP8 but if there was a WP8 device in an iPhone-body I'd take it any day. Until that happens i'm ok with the Lumia though.

They do a lot of things right obviously but it would be naive to assume that adding .3 of an inch on the iphone 5 would affect the sales in anyway.

Speaking of the iphone 5, it is actually a perfect example to illustrate how badly HTC dropped the ball here. The iphone 5 screen is only a .3 of an inch smaller than the HTC 8x but it is way WAY smaller physically and pretty damn close in size with the Lumia 800.

HTC Booooooooo. They could have got the small phone crowd with the 8x by making it smaller. OR, they could have made the screen 4.7 inches easily while keeping the current dimensions of the 8x. Fail harder.

freestaterocker

Nov 19, 2011
Visit site
I thought 4.3 is average. That's why some people were disappointed by the iPhone 5. 4 inches isn't enough. People like to read eBooks and documents on their phones, they require the large screens. If WP would release a 5.5 inch device and give it desktop experience, I would use that as a PC and print my documents from the device. I guess they would not do that since they want surface to sell.

Sent from my SGH-i677 using Board Express

"4 inches isn't enough." That's what she said.

freestaterocker

Nov 19, 2011
Visit site
Where's the problem with just addmitting that there are things Apple does right? Sure, screen size preferences may differ, but don't you think it's a little simple to explain the iPhone's success only with a blind, over-loyal fanbase? I have been a iPhone user for years, enjoy my iPad and an iMac. This fall however I'm going to get a Lumia 920 - the reason for this is not lacking hardware design, it is the software that became too dated, too skeumorphic, too shiny and full of useless gradients, shadows, reflections. While I prefer Microsofts purely digital and minimal approach to interface design and think that Nokia does well with its bold hardware ideas, hardware-wise the iPhone still wins in my book. Perfect screen size, solid surfaces, clean lines, metal instead of plastic, lightweight and thin. It doesn't have to be the phone of your choice, but saying it's bad seems to be a very subjective, biased and exclusive opinion.

The problem with Apple though is the discrepancy between great, reduced, minimal hardware and overly playful, busy and skeumorphic software. As said before, the latter turned me to WP8 but if there was a WP8 device in an iPhone-body I'd take it any day. Until that happens i'm ok with the Lumia though.

I have no qualms admitting apple does some things extremely well. But you have to admit they do have a large fanbase that read the comment you're replying to and promptly headed over to apple.com to preorder that toaster.

twincamfxd

Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
The basis for my comment was that for the past year I heard my coworkers tell me how the next iPhone was going to surely have a bigger screen than my android (droid x then RAZR then galaxy nexus) and as soon as the new iPhone dropped, they began to talk about how it was the perfect size and my phone was way too big. The same goes for features. They spoke of NFC, which I use every day and how apple would surely improve on it. Now they talk out how useless it is and how apple was smart for not including it. I'm no ******, ****, my next device will be a 920, I just don't get how people can follow a company so blindly. Waiting for them to start a commune in south america.....

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

dharmababa

Sep 22, 2012
Visit site
Apple could have used a 4.5" screen and still sold 8 million.

Also I'd guess it is hard for OEMs to source HD screens smaller than 4.3" since the PPI is already so high.

But yeah ultimately it is a demand thing. FWIW, I think the 8X is a reasonable "small" device.

cp2_4eva

Mar 19, 2012
Visit site
IPhone fans say they don't need a big screen mostly because apple doesn't even offer them a big screen. I could bet that is they made a 4.5 screen with the same slim design, then they would also sell. But apple will never give people the option.

Sent from my PI86100 using Board Express

jfa1

Dec 15, 2007
Visit site
The size is OK, but the weight is a disaster on the 920, and is the only thing bothering me.
Its not to heavy to hold or anything like that, but I had a Nokia N900 which was 180g, and I loved that phone, but it was never a 'slip into pocket and forget about it' device as you were aware that it was with you all the time.
Im hoping that with the different form factor, it will not be as noticeable, but I will be in the shop trying it to be certain as it is an issue.
Im tempted by the 8X and the 820, but Id miss the nokia apps on the 8X and the screen res is a big no on the 820...

Your opinion that the weight of the 920 is a disaster is just your opinion which yours entitl,ed to, however the poll here at WPC says thats its not a disaster in the yes of most peoiple! I expect that illl g et the 920 and it will slip into mshirt pocket. If not it will fit fine in my blazer pocket and in a holster on belt when not in a pocket.

Winterfang

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
however the poll here at WPC says thats its not a disaster in the yes of most peoiple!

keeom.jpg

Internet polls are meaningless.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon