Welcome to the Windows Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

We've go the Ativ S, the Lumia 920, and now the HTC 8X. They're all massive... We've yet to see, and I doubt we'll ever see, a top of the line Windows Phone 8 device that isn't above a 4" screen. Instead, we've got smaller devices that are essentially crappier, stripped down variants, without any real reason to exist. This is especially true considering they may be $50 to $100 lower in cost, but you'll still be paying nearly as much for the data plan, regardless of which phone you buy.

Gizmodo just posted an article on this very issue, where "smaller" variation phones, are also crappier from a specs perspective:

When Did Small Phones Become Crappy Phones? - Gizmodo

I would love a Lumia 920, with all of it's features, in an 800 sized package.

Global Posts
    13 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by fc000 View Post
    Agreed. But we take what we can get.

Global Posts
    387 Global Posts
    It takes a larger phone to pack in LTE, a better camera and other technologies. Also, there's a lot of people, at least in the US, who want a touch screen phone with a larger screen for easier input. Personally, I prefer the 4" screen on my Focus and the upcoming HTC 8S. I prefer a capable phone that slips into my pocket. Having said that, I'll be getting a 920 on day one. The only issue I have with it is the weight.

Global Posts
    886 Global Posts
    People don't want to squint their eyes and need larger screens.

Sent from my SGH-i677 using Board Express
    AKA Preluva likes this.

even I wanted a top of the line 4 incher. Every manufacturer disappointed me.

Global Posts
    3,764 Global Posts
    Yeah I would love for the 8S to had the same camera, processor and screen as the 8X.

Global Posts
    864 Global Posts
    demand. demand for a larger screen is much higher. still would be nice to offer lower end devices
    cckgz4 likes this.

Global Posts
    3,764 Global Posts
    4.3 is small by today standards.

Global Posts
    185 Global Posts
    I love big screens. I wish there was a Galaxy Note sized WP.

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express
    The size is OK, but the weight is a disaster on the 920, and is the only thing bothering me.
    Its not to heavy to hold or anything like that, but I had a Nokia N900 which was 180g, and I loved that phone, but it was never a 'slip into pocket and forget about it' device as you were aware that it was with you all the time.
    Im hoping that with the different form factor, it will not be as noticeable, but I will be in the shop trying it to be certain as it is an issue.
    Im tempted by the 8X and the 820, but Id miss the nokia apps on the 8X and the screen res is a big no on the 820...

Global Posts
    32,427 Global Posts
    PIN
    Email
    More consumers are interested in watching movies/playing games, so they want bigger screens.

Global Posts
    2,799 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by lak611 View Post
    More consumers are interested in watching movies/playing games, so they want bigger screens.
    Bingo
    Nokia Lumia 1020/Blu Studio 5.0 LTE owner here...

Global Posts
    2,578 Global Posts
    The large screen is a natural result of the move to all-touchscreen-keyboard designs. Phones 3.5 inches and smaller are almost impossible to use for serious messaging with a touchscreen keyboard. Smearing out a literate e-mail reply on a small screen is VERY frustrating.
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    2,526 Global Posts
    I don't want a Note sized device, but I wish the 8X and 920 were around 4.7 inches.

Global Posts
    886 Global Posts
    I thought 4.3 is average. That's why some people were disappointed by the iPhone 5. 4 inches isn't enough. People like to read eBooks and documents on their phones, they require the large screens. If WP would release a 5.5 inch device and give it desktop experience, I would use that as a PC and print my documents from the device. I guess they would not do that since they want surface to sell.

Global Posts
    1,312 Global Posts
    Yet the iPhone 5 at 4.0" inches is selling 8 million in one weekend. Which means 3.5-4'" is the sweet spot for mass sales.

I don't think the screen size has anything to do with apples success. I think it has more to do with a fan base that would buy a $700 toaster if it had a bitten apple on the side of it.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2
    pjs37 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by twincamfxd View Post
    I don't think the screen size has anything to do with apples success. I think it has more to do with a fan base that would buy a $700 toaster if it had a bitten apple on the side of it.

Where's the problem with just addmitting that there are things Apple does right? Sure, screen size preferences may differ, but don't you think it's a little simple to explain the iPhone's success only with a blind, over-loyal fanbase? I have been a iPhone user for years, enjoy my iPad and an iMac. This fall however I'm going to get a Lumia 920 - the reason for this is not lacking hardware design, it is the software that became too dated, too skeumorphic, too shiny and full of useless gradients, shadows, reflections. While I prefer Microsofts purely digital and minimal approach to interface design and think that Nokia does well with its bold hardware ideas, hardware-wise the iPhone still wins in my book. Perfect screen size, solid surfaces, clean lines, metal instead of plastic, lightweight and thin. It doesn't have to be the phone of your choice, but saying it's bad seems to be a very subjective, biased and exclusive opinion.

The problem with Apple though is the discrepancy between great, reduced, minimal hardware and overly playful, busy and skeumorphic software. As said before, the latter turned me to WP8 but if there was a WP8 device in an iPhone-body I'd take it any day. Until that happens i'm ok with the Lumia though.

Quote Originally Posted by fc000 View Post
    We've go the Ativ S, the Lumia 920, and now the HTC 8X. They're all massive... We've yet to see, and I doubt we'll ever see, a top of the line Windows Phone 8 device that isn't above a 4" screen. Instead, we've got smaller devices that are essentially crappier, stripped down variants, without any real reason to exist. This is especially true considering they may be $50 to $100 lower in cost, but you'll still be paying nearly as much for the data plan, regardless of which phone you buy.

Gizmodo just posted an article on this very issue, where "smaller" variation phones, are also crappier from a specs perspective:

When Did Small Phones Become Crappy Phones? - Gizmodo

The HTC 8x could have been somewhat close to the Lumia 800 size if they tried harder. The One S has a 4.3 inch screen and is pretty compact at 130.9 x 65 x 7.8 mm and the legendary Galaxy S2 clocks in at 125.3 x 66.1 x 8.5 mm.

Lumia 800. 116.5 x 61.2 x 12.1 mm which isn't that much smaller if at all. In fact, if you calculated the total volume the Lumia 800 would be more.

If LG can make the Optimus G that small for a 4.7 inch, someone could make a 4.3 inch as small as the Lumia 800 no problem.

So HTC screwed up basically.

Quote Originally Posted by smoledman View Post
    Yet the iPhone 5 at 4.0" inches is selling 8 million in one weekend. Which means 3.5-4'" is the sweet spot for mass sales.
    Don't just make things up. We have absolutely no concrete evidence that the iphone 5 wouldn't sell just as well if they went with a 4.3 inch screen instead of 4. My guess is that sales of the iphone 5 would be exactly the same regardless of screen size. .3 of an inch most likely isn't a deal breaker in any circumstance, let alone an isheep one.
    Last edited by tomatoes11; 09-22-2012 at 05:55 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by thirdsun View Post
    Where's the problem with just addmitting that there are things Apple does right? Sure, screen size preferences may differ, but don't you think it's a little simple to explain the iPhone's success only with a blind, over-loyal fanbase? I have been a iPhone user for years, enjoy my iPad and an iMac. This fall however I'm going to get a Lumia 920 - the reason for this is not lacking hardware design, it is the software that became too dated, too skeumorphic, too shiny and full of useless gradients, shadows, reflections. While I prefer Microsofts purely digital and minimal approach to interface design and think that Nokia does well with its bold hardware ideas, hardware-wise the iPhone still wins in my book. Perfect screen size, solid surfaces, clean lines, metal instead of plastic, lightweight and thin. It doesn't have to be the phone of your choice, but saying it's bad seems to be a very subjective, biased and exclusive opinion.

The problem with Apple though is the discrepancy between great, reduced, minimal hardware and overly playful, busy and skeumorphic software. As said before, the latter turned me to WP8 but if there was a WP8 device in an iPhone-body I'd take it any day. Until that happens i'm ok with the Lumia though.
    They do a lot of things right obviously but it would be naive to assume that adding .3 of an inch on the iphone 5 would affect the sales in anyway.

Speaking of the iphone 5, it is actually a perfect example to illustrate how badly HTC dropped the ball here. The iphone 5 screen is only a .3 of an inch smaller than the HTC 8x but it is way WAY smaller physically and pretty damn close in size with the Lumia 800.

HTC Booooooooo. They could have got the small phone crowd with the 8x by making it smaller. OR, they could have made the screen 4.7 inches easily while keeping the current dimensions of the 8x. Fail harder.
    Quote Originally Posted by WasteSomeTime View Post
    I thought 4.3 is average. That's why some people were disappointed by the iPhone 5. 4 inches isn't enough. People like to read eBooks and documents on their phones, they require the large screens. If WP would release a 5.5 inch device and give it desktop experience, I would use that as a PC and print my documents from the device. I guess they would not do that since they want surface to sell.

"4 inches isn't enough." That's what she said.
    Quote Originally Posted by thirdsun View Post

I have no qualms admitting apple does some things extremely well. But you have to admit they do have a large fanbase that read the comment you're replying to and promptly headed over to apple.com to preorder that toaster.
    twincamfxd likes this.

The basis for my comment was that for the past year I heard my coworkers tell me how the next iPhone was going to surely have a bigger screen than my android (droid x then RAZR then galaxy nexus) and as soon as the new iPhone dropped, they began to talk about how it was the perfect size and my phone was way too big. The same goes for features. They spoke of NFC, which I use every day and how apple would surely improve on it. Now they talk out how useless it is and how apple was smart for not including it. I'm no fanboy, ****, my next device will be a 920, I just don't get how people can follow a company so blindly. Waiting for them to start a commune in south america.....

Apple could have used a 4.5" screen and still sold 8 million.

Also I'd guess it is hard for OEMs to source HD screens smaller than 4.3" since the PPI is already so high.

But yeah ultimately it is a demand thing. FWIW, I think the 8X is a reasonable "small" device.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast