May try to make the switch

EggoEspada

Sep 20, 2012
Visit site
So I'm currently an Android user and have been for two and a half years. Right now my daily driver is the Samsung Galaxy SIII, but for the longest I have always been drawn to Windows Phone. When Windows Phone first was announced, I was strongly considering picking up the first device to hit Verizon. Of course, I saw how mediocre the hardware seemed in terms of specs and design, and the software lacked so much it would feel like a downgrade.

So I waited, and saw the software was getting better, and the apps were started to appear on the platform. Nokia then announced their Lumia line. I really wanted the device, and heard it would come to Verizon. So here I am waiting for Windows Phone 8 (which I still don't know much about), and a viable Windows Phone which was beautifully designed and packed the specifications that would last me at least a year. Of course, from the looks of it, the HTC 8X on Verizon might be the device I get.

Here's a list of what I used a smartphone for. Maybe you all can share insight on how some of these compare, and if there are some good alternatives on the Windows Phone platform.

• Youtube
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • Gaming
  • Photosharing/Photo taking (Really hope Instagram makes an appearance soon)
  • Gmail
  • Navigation
  • Public Transit
  • Music (Like how does the built-in music app compare to GMusic, or if there's better)
  • Web Browsing
  • Google Calender and Contacts Syncing (This is a big one)
  • Dropbox integration

I understand that a lot hasn't been shown off for Windows Phone 8, so say what you can now, and I'd definitely like to revisit this once Microsoft officially announces all its new features. :D

bear_lx

Jun 28, 2011
Visit site
Youtube - we got it
Facebook - built in to people hub
Twitter - we got it
Gaming - xbox live gaming is great, plus acheivements
Photosharing/Photo taking (Really hope Instagram makes an appearance soon) - we got it, plus instgram is coming...

Gmail - you can use gmail, but i prefer outlook/hotmail/live, it was just revamped and its beautiful

Navigation - bing maps, htc has its own turn by turn nav, as does nokia drive, they work great

Public Transit - got it
Music (Like how does the built-in music app compare to GMusic, or if there's better) - you will love the Ui of the music marketplace, and the zune player... its awesome! far superior to anything ive used, and i am currently on a gnex waiting on win8

Web Browsing - ie9 is awesome, sure beats the stock web browser on android. although i installed chrome and like it a lot too.

Google Calender and Contacts Syncing (This is a big one) - no problem, it can be done
Dropbox integration - skydrive integration beats dropbox all day long, it auto uploads photos to the cloud and it is built into the phone

all of those are fair concerns, and all of which are already on our platform...

Mitlov

Mar 16, 2012
Visit site
You will need to create a Microsoft account (it used to be called a Windows Live account) but that doesn't mean you need to abandon your Google calendar, mail, or contacts. Create the Microsoft account with the name of your Google account, like "joeshmoe@gmail.com" being the name of your Windows Live account, link the phone to your Windows Live account, and your mail and calendar and contacts should sync automatically from Google to your phone. You can then continue using Google services normally both on your phone and off.

And Zune (to be called Xbox Music) is fantastic. Great interface. Try the Zune Pass (unlimited music downloads for $10/month; the downloads work so long as you keep your Pass active) for a month or so and you'll be hooked. It's like Spotify but better.

trazer

Dec 22, 2011
Visit site
First off, welcome to the site!

Secondly I too have used an S3, it is currently sitting on the desk as I type this though. It's on the shelf above me and my WP is beside me lol. I have used Android extensively and still use it every day as there is a single app I have to use at work that is Android only. Custom made app for our business. Its work provided so it's free so not a huge deal, but then again I like WP enough to still carry a personal WP device and not just use my work phone. That says a lot I think.

I love WP, I never used to play music on my android devices and now I play music all the time on WP. Many things I want to so look better and preform better on WP for me anyway. I think you will like it as someone who uses both. The others have answered your major questions so the only one I'll touch on is Twitter, there are many great clients and it's built in.

I use a third party Twitter app still, I like rowi a lot and I also use mehdoh sometimes. Like them both, use them both for now.

eric12341

Dec 1, 2009
Visit site
Those needs can be satisfied with any current WP7 device. I would recommend using a Microsoft account as primary login rather than google, but everything Google should sync just fine.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rogertewarte