Welcome to the Windows Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree24Likes

Do you think WP Tiles need a facelift?

I know that beauty is a personal thing but I am asking this question because I think the tiles are ugly. I own the Lumia 900 and put my iPhone in the drawer awhile back.

What I miss that I feel WP lacks is the sex appeal of the iPhone. I personally feel that is one area Microsoft needs to improve.

I'd love to hear the forums feedback. A poll would also be a nice thing to build the facts.

I personally have skin in this game as a Microsoft shareholder but I'd like to hear what others think

Thanks in advance for your feedback.

Global Posts
    3,470 Global Posts
    The tiles are not ugly. I like that it's different from standard icons. I don't think they server their purpose with most apps, but ugly they are not.
    Goodbye Dooley! You will NOT be missed!:@
    Bring back the WeeeeeBeeeeaaarrrr
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    9,263 Global Posts
    If they copied the iPhone, Apple would sue them and then try to get their product banned from the marketplace.
    Check out the great deals on Windows Phone Accessories: http://store.wpcentral.com
    11B1P likes this.

Global Posts
    1,742 Global Posts
    Even many Apple designers are getting sick of the iOS software design. Here is a good article about it. It's not sexy, it's tacky.
    Will Apple's Tacky Software-Design Philosophy Cause A Revolt? | Co.Design: business + innovation + design

Skeuomorphism is a word I just learned today. :)
    Thanked by:
    Big Supes, TMavC5 and X0LARIUM like this.

Quote Originally Posted by robert-it View Post

I know that beauty is a personal thing but I am asking this question because I think the tiles are ugly. I own the Lumia 900 and put my iPhone in the drawer awhile back.

What I miss that I feel WP lacks is the sex appeal of the iPhone. I personally feel that is one area Microsoft needs to improve.

I'd love to hear the forums feedback. A poll would also be a nice thing to build the facts.

I personally have skin in this game as a Microsoft shareholder but I'd like to hear what others think

The only appeal that the iPhone has anymore is their hardware. The iPhone UI is so 2007. I can't think of any reason why MS would copy the look of the iPhone user interface.

Global Posts
    1,441 Global Posts
    Tiles are squares in different colors. What ia so ugly?

Global Posts
    3,204 Global Posts

There is nothing sexy about iOS. It is old and outdated. The tiles look fine. Also, feel free to post something positive about WP to contribute to the community.

Global Posts
    449 Global Posts

Global Posts
    3,470 Global Posts
    That layout is cluttered and ugly in that particular photo. But yes, the tiles in WP7 look better than the icons on iOS.
    Goodbye Dooley! You will NOT be missed!:@
    Bring back the WeeeeeBeeeeaaarrrr

Global Posts
    209 Global Posts
    Nope, not ugly at all.

It is actually the new tiled layout that caught my eye and as a result I'm gonna be getting my first Windows phone, a Lumia 820!

It is very refreshing and different to anything else out there. Perhaps the icon/grid look has had it's day?

I must be honest, I did look at wp7 phones but they layout wasn't as nice (in my opinion) mainly because of the black bar at the side of the screen. I didn't think this look could be improved upon but I was wrong.

There are endless ways that this screen can be customised. Pictures, icons, live tiles, different shapes, sizes and colours..... Lovely!

Global Posts
    3,764 Global Posts
    I like the tiles and I like Apple's icons. They look good in their respectable OS.

Global Posts
    334 Global Posts

No, WP does not need a facelift.

As for looks, nothing is better than live tiles. The phone is alive and gives you the important information at a glance.

The icon grid of iOS is not good looking or sexy. However if you want to do a poll you can, but you will find you are in the minority.
    I know even some of my Android and iPhone friends like the look of my phone. I get asked questions a lot whenever someone sees the tiles flipping and showing their information.
    Samsung Focus Flash on Straight Talk.
    Laura Knotek likes this.

Global Posts
    809 Global Posts
    As others have said, there is absolutely nothing that is sexy with regards to iOS. I hate the fact that you must have every app, regardless of whether you use it or not, on your homescreen. Also, other than the number of alerts from each app, there is no information whatsoever available to you unless you open the app or check the notification panel. Heck, even the weather app can't show you the current temperature without opening it. Android goes a step further by allowing you to place apps and widgets on the homescreens but I just don't see it at being nearly as cohesive as the Windows Phone OS.

So long as WP8 provides us with a better web browser and a larger app library, I can't imagine myself giving Android or iOS another look. The only other OS that I feel can be competitive would be BB10 if they are able to break their reliance on BES/BIS. I had a PlayBook for a little while and even when it was first released, the OS showed a lot of promise despite the fact that it was essentially a public beta and lacked a lot of core functionality.

Tiles way better than grid of icons. Like someone else once said, iOS and android looks like that guy in the office who saves everything onto their desktop. We've had that look since windows 3.1. Tiles are much fresher.
    DrSaiko likes this.
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    3,767 Global Posts
    The tiles look better than the icons to me. And when you add that they are live and customizable, it's icing on the cake.

Global Posts
    1,267 Global Posts
    If anything needs a facelift, it's iOS. I hope WP can gain more market share before Apple releases their next disruptive device, whenever that is.
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    9,263 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by aubreyq View Post
    If anything needs a facelift, it's iOS....
    +1 I agree
    Check out the great deals on Windows Phone Accessories: http://store.wpcentral.com
    aubreyq likes this.

Global Posts
    1,305 Global Posts
    Where Apple has shown lack of vision is the in the UI. Essentially they took the "icon view" from their Mac OS desktop and pasted it onto a smartphone app drawer. No imagination whatsoever. Sure they made them prettier with lighting effects and higher resolution then the old icons but they're still the same dumb app launcher shortcuts that they are. Also every single app you download MUST.APPEAR.IN.APP.DRAWER.

Also the app drawer only can contain application shortcuts. No live tiles. No other content like contacts, maps, stock symbols or any other content you could imagine. The same holds for Windows 8 as for Windows Phone in terms of pinning content that you want to the start screen and having a separate Application List!

Microsoft is way more innovative in software design these days then Apple, but Apple still makes great hardware.

Global Posts
    1,305 Global Posts
    Let me summarize the difference between iOS & Windows Phone.

iOS start screen = dumb application shortcuts, shallow links to the home page of an app

WP start screen = pinned applications & content. live tiles and deep links in some cases. So a stock symbol will not only open the stock app, but navigate you to the symbol details. What in iOS can do that?

Global Posts
    1,735 Global Posts

It just got the necessary polishing it needed with WP8. WP7 was the first step, and WP8 is a big leap towards creating a beautiful OS.
    And as Paladri said, iOS BADLY needs a new facelift.

If u think the tiles are ugly, then perhaps its not the OS for you. The modern UI has broken the norm, broken out of the clutter, and made something fantastic. And they need an applause for it.

If this is the one area, then it changes everything. Its like saying "I like the ad, but not the headline & the visual."
    Duh...

My feedback is that if u don't like the look of the OS, chances are u might not really like anything else. The look is THE most important thing in anything...its the face of the object that's going to be with u.
    Its not only a beautiful design, its a benchmark. A case study. Of how people can think outside the proverbial box and bring a fresh concept to life.

Sent from my XT910 using Xparent Cyan Tapatalk 2
    Thanked by:

Global Posts
    1,305 Global Posts
    One thing I can agree with is that when you have too many tiles which only have the accent color + a white icon they can blend together in a heaping mess. The reason why iOS is so successful is that when you're look at the app drawer, the icons are so distinct from each other that you have no trouble knowing which app is which. That can be a problem on Windows Phone.

Global Posts
    1,005 Global Posts
    I love the live tile interface of wp. The grid of static icons with glass texture and rounded corners bores me. I like that crazy amounts of personal data can be gleaned by unlocking the phone and scrolling down thru my home screen. It doesn't need faux glass texture, or anything. It was born to be viewed on a screen, it should be bold and clean and square.

Sent from my SGH-i917 using Board Express
    To answer the question no they aren't ugly, can they look ugly? Yea if they are unprofessionally done but then again so can icons.

Global Posts
    864 Global Posts
    serious question or is this a joke thread?

personally IOS is really starting to show it's age IMO

Global Posts
    510 Global Posts
    I don't think tiles look very good on WP8, but they are beautiful on W8! I think Microsoft has to give us some background colour options and tiles should have different colours too.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast