Nokia 920 Dolby sound vs htc 8x BeatsAudio

eric12341

Dec 1, 2009
Visit site
Well the Dolby enhancement setting on my HD7 is currently kind of flat and dull compared to SRS. Beats combined with the amp in the 8X could produce better sound quality especially if the above mentioned scenario is the case.

I just read that HTC Beats audio in Windows Phone is done via software instead of adding a separated chip, due to Microsoft limitations.

I'm just tired of Windows Phones being worse than their Android counterparts. :(

It has 2 extra dedicated amps so it's basically the same.

tomatoes11

Sep 21, 2012
Visit site
I am sure most high end phones have great sound drivers. It doesn't really matter though. For most people mp3's and first gen iPods were good enough, even when Sony, iriver, and sansa etc had better drivers or hardware.

I am not saying software is not important but the sound chip is the most important. In that sense, the answer to the op is who cares. Lol

socialcarpet

Banned
Apr 4, 2012
Visit site
i was wondering which one do you think has a better sound
920 Dolby vs 8x BeatsAudio
i can't wait to see a video comparison fight between both of them

Not really sure how exactly they both work, but knowing that "Beats" is just some meaningless brand invented to sell overpriced headphones to wannabe rappers, and that Dolby is actually one of the premier names in audio for decades, my money is on Dolby having the better solution.

It remains to be seen though.

Monster is a meaningless and stupid brand that just makes overpriced products too, but some of the Nokia accessories they make are good, though still overpriced.

xH4RRYx

Oct 31, 2012
Visit site
Regardless of software on the device, a good set of headphones will make the biggest difference. I have a set of the purity pros by monster and the quality is godlike. Switch to another set and it drops quite substantially.

foxbat121

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
Beats audio is overrated. I wish there is a way to turn it off. I had on both my Android HTC OneX and HTC 8x. As for Dolby on Nokia, I'm not sure what it does. Ironically, my Lumia 920 won't read any Dolby Digital audio track on my video file. So much for the usefulness of Dolby technology inside.

spaulagain

Apr 27, 2012
Visit site
Beats audio is overrated. I wish there is a way to turn it off. I had on both my Android HTC OneX and HTC 8x. As for Dolby on Nokia, I'm not sure what it does. Ironically, my Lumia 920 won't read any Dolby Digital audio track on my video file. So much for the usefulness of Dolby technology inside.

The Dolby settings on the 920 give the sound more depth as if you are at a concert and you can hear the "space."

It ssounds with head phones, but sounds weird if your listening in the car or home. Luckily you can turn it off. And the Nokia equalizer is awesome.

foxbat121

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
I have a dolby headphone setup at home and it sounds fantastic when playing DD 5.1 audio through a regular headset. I was wishing the Lumia has the same technology inside but I was totally disappointed.

Rich White

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Audiophiles would rather see the best Wolfson Audio Chip on board. 10 Dolby and EQ programmable presets that can be assigned to each song in memory. A global effects bypass for use with audio systems. A slightly higher wattage audio out for increased bass response. My dream date: Mini tubes in the DAC!

Beats is used largely as a marketing gimmick.

th0mas96

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
imo, beats suck. if you want good sound, get yourself good headphones.. Lumias have a pretty basic EQ, but I think you'll get better results that with beats audio. I tried them (on a Desire) and they totally ****ed up the music, e.g. BMTH - The Sadness will never end. If you hear the song, you'll notice the change when the drums and guitars set in; with beats I only hear the bass and nothing else at these parts. <- I tried my best to express what I mean, english is not my native language and looking up every word will produce a result even worse :D

Huime

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
I have a dolby headphone setup at home and it sounds fantastic when playing DD 5.1 audio through a regular headset. I was wishing the Lumia has the same technology inside but I was totally disappointed.
You do realized that audio setup is always a custom combination of equipment? Asking a mobile player to drive a demanding headset is just like asking an average person if he or she ever touches the ass of a whale.

foxbat121

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
You do realized that audio setup is always a custom combination of equipment? Asking a mobile player to drive a demanding headset is just like asking an average person if he or she ever touches the ass of a whale.

I don't think you got what I mean. Dolby Headphone technology is a algorithm that when applied to a DD 5.1 audio and comes out as 2-ch stereo to a regular headset, it simulates surround sound in your head. It is like SRS but 100 times better. I have seen it implemented in some netbook/laptops. But the so-called Dolby technology in Lumia 920 is worthless because it can't even read DD 5.1 audio tracks. It seems to fall in the same category as Zeiss logo on the camera of the phone.

The ZennyBoy

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
Audiophiles would rather see the best Wolfson Audio Chip on board. 10 Dolby and EQ programmable presets that can be assigned to each song in memory. A global effects bypass for use with audio systems. A slightly higher wattage audio out for increased bass response. My dream date: Mini tubes in the DAC!

Beats is used largely as a marketing gimmick.

Dude, you just made me blush . . .

(And I'm black, lol)

Microsoftjunkie

Jun 19, 2012
Visit site
I prefer the HTC 8Xs sound. Don't get confused with other posters saying, it emphasizes bass. It sounds superior, adds depth, crisper and easier to listen to.

Headphones that came with my s3 sound better than my in ear Beats. Its the headphone that will make the decision, either phone.

th0mas96

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
Yep. And for my experience, beats audio destroys the music if you got good headphones and want a natural sound. And, you can always use the equalizer with lumias, which is imo way better since you can adjust it to your equipment and taste.

gapost

Dec 1, 2004
Visit site
Have all you people that say Beats sucks, listened to good quality music with good headphones/earbuds on the 8X? I don't think so. It's definitely a great sound, best I have heard in any smartphone. Now, I haven't listened to the music on the 920, so I can't compare that. However, I have had the 822 and the 8X sound is better, no question. And it's not just the base, but the overall sound.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BevitalGluco2