Nokia 920 Dolby sound vs htc 8x BeatsAudio

anon(5334066)

Dec 22, 2011
Visit site
I've had an 8X since November and a Lumia 920 since February. The Lumia 920 wins in every category except audio quality. The loudspeaker is louder on the 8Xand the Beats Audio enhancement creates much more dynamic sounding audio than the Lumia with Dolby Digital support, regardless of the EQ options selected on the 920. I almost get a headache listening to the 920, it produces a very almost shrill pitch on a lot of notes, absent is goof treble and bass.

th0mas96

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
Have all you people that say Beats sucks, listened to good quality music with good headphones/earbuds on the 8X? I don't think so. It's definitely a great sound, best I have heard in any smartphone. Now, I haven't listened to the music on the 920, so I can't compare that. However, I have had the 822 and the 8X sound is better, no question. And it's not just the base, but the overall sound.
Yep, I did. My collection is completely lossless, however due to the lack of flac support I have it as 320-mp3s on my phone. With either Beyerdynamics DT990 or Shure SE215, beats audio takes the dynamic from my songs. Maybe it's the genre, I mainly listen to metal, but IMO, an equalizer is the best solution, even though the Nokia-one is pretty limited.

gapost

Dec 1, 2004
Visit site
Yep, I did. My collection is completely lossless, however due to the lack of flac support I have it as 320-mp3s on my phone. With either Beyerdynamics DT990 or Shure SE215, beats audio takes the dynamic from my songs. Maybe it's the genre, I mainly listen to metal, but IMO, an equalizer is the best solution, even though the Nokia-one is pretty limited.

Ok. That sounds like a pretty good comparison and maybe the 920 is more accurate. But I'm still very happy with the 8X sound, and guess I have to be since I'm on Verizon, haha.

The ZennyBoy

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
Maybe it's just me, but I really feel like they tweaked the audio significantly. I'm using my Ultimate Ears Super.fi 5 earphones (for audiophiles or enthusiasts who might be curious). Has anyone else noticed a difference? I could be wrong, but I wasn't even looking at the audio aspect as respects an update. I just wanted to casually listen to some music, and it practically scared me how much of a difference I noticed. The lack of clear thorough bass seems to be gone. It's as balance and fair as it should be on neutral settings (flat). Not dominant, muddy or overpower (Hello Beats Audio). The highs also seem to be more pronounced and crisp -- natural really.

Please, if anyone is as serious about audio as I am, check it out yourself. Test several songs you know the dynamics of fairly well (My epiphany came from "Ingenue" by Atoms for Peace (Check it out!)). I need to know my mind isn't playing tricks on me! Lol. Cheers.

matrixcruiser

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
Maybe it's just me, but I really feel like they tweaked the audio significantly.
You mean with the latest softwareupdate? I'm not even sure if audio was included this morning.
I wish i could help you but after reading your post my unprofessional ears playing a trick on my by may faking the feeling it sound better.

scottcraft

Aug 1, 2011
Visit site
After owning an 822 and now an 8X for what I listen to the 8X sounds better. Both sound good to me, but the 8X and beats is better. That's with Nokia Purity HD earbuds for what it's worth. I also prefer Beats audio on the 8X over my Rezound since it works with streaming music now instead of just music stored on the phone.

th0mas96

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
oh, I just realized what's the questiomn in this thread :D imo, Lumia's Dolby Sound just lowers the details of the music, if I had to choose, I'd take beats. But Lumias have an equalizer, that's what I prefer.

berty6294

Oct 5, 2012
Visit site
Beats audio is overrated. I wish there is a way to turn it off. I had on both my Android HTC OneX and HTC 8x. As for Dolby on Nokia, I'm not sure what it does. Ironically, my Lumia 920 won't read any Dolby Digital audio track on my video file. So much for the usefulness of Dolby technology inside.

uh you can turn it off. Very bottom of the settings list.

If you say that Beats sucks, then you are just an ignorant fool who wants to sound like a rebel. Beats are not the best, but they are better than 75% of the market in terms of sound. (90% if you include design, portability, and durability)

th0mas96

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
uh you can turn it off. Very bottom of the settings list.

If you say that Beats sucks, then you are just an ignorant fool who wants to sound like a rebel. Beats are not the best, but they are better than 75% of the market in terms of sound. (90% if you include design, portability, and durability)

Sorry, your last paragraph is about the
headphones themselves, did I get that right? Did you ever hear of shure, Beyerdynamics, even Sennheiser, AEG, Audio Technica, or something? Concerning sound/price, beats totally suck, sorry. The only argument for them is design (subjective), the rest is, especially in reference to their price, pretty bad.

Villain

Mar 6, 2011
Visit site
Beats is popular and ironically its always popular to hate on what's popular and mainstream... 95% of people are sheep.

I hate HTC now and many dislikes about my 8X but its audio without a doubt trumps the 920... And no not boom boom bass... Clarity is very crisp.

That being said... The audio is amazing but the "b" on the back probably has nothing to do with it.

berty6294

Oct 5, 2012
Visit site
Sorry, your last paragraph is about the
headphones themselves, did I get that right? Did you ever hear of shure, Beyerdynamics, even Sennheiser, AEG, Audio Technica, or something? Concerning sound/price, beats totally suck, sorry. The only argument for them is design (subjective), the rest is, especially in reference to their price, pretty bad.

and I consider most of those brands above the 75% mark. But when you factor in the design, portability, and durability, Beats literally beats most of them.

Beats is popular and ironically its always popular to hate on what's popular and mainstream... 95% of people are sheep.

I hate HTC now and many dislikes about my 8X but its audio without a doubt trumps the 920... And no not boom boom bass... Clarity is very crisp.

That being said... The audio is amazing but the "b" on the back probably has nothing to do with it.

The Beats software in the 8x does nothing but act as a bass boost. Now the fact that the 8x has a separate audio amplifier, that does a lot for the sound!

uselessrobot

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
Beats Audio is junk; fundamentally it's a logo and equalizer settings. They like to spin their marketing like they've got special tech in branded devices, but they don't at all. They offer presets anyone could set on their own. The supposed distinction is that their settings match current musical fads. That means that bass and treble are cranked up beyond reason to "enhance" instrumentation commonly found in hip hop and, to a lesser extent, pop music. It's another aspect of the loudness wars, playing off the mentality that loud equals better. So you end up with audio that sounds like crap.

Monster is a step above Beats Audio, a brand they helped establish but ironically got screwed out of. Their products may be overpriced crap, but at least they make something. They make Beats Audio headphones, which is in keeping with the sham that brand represents. $300 for headphones no better than the $25 stuff you'll find at Walmart.

berty6294

Oct 5, 2012
Visit site
Beats Audio is junk; fundamentally it's a logo and equalizer settings. They like to spin their marketing like they've got special tech in branded devices, but they don't at all. They offer presets anyone could set on their own. The supposed distinction is that their settings match current musical fads. That means that bass and treble are cranked up beyond reason to "enhance" instrumentation commonly found in hip hop and, to a lesser extent, pop music. It's another aspect of the loudness wars, playing off the mentality that loud equals better. So you end up with audio that sounds like crap.

Monster is a step above Beats Audio, a brand they helped establish but ironically got screwed out of. Their products may be overpriced crap, but at least they make something. They make Beats Audio headphones, which is in keeping with the sham that brand represents. $300 for headphones no better than the $25 stuff you'll find at Walmart.

You are insane if you think Beats headphones are as good as $25 walmart stuff!

I agree the Beats Audio sound enhancer is just an equalizer, and I agree that it sounds like crap on certain headphones, but on most it improves the listening experience.

Yes they cost more, the same way American Eagle or Aeropostle cost more. Its a name brand!

th0mas96

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
You are insane if you think Beats headphones are as good as $25 walmart stuff!

I agree the Beats Audio sound enhancer is just an equalizer, and I agree that it sounds like crap on certain headphones, but on most it improves the listening experience.

Yes they cost more, the same way American Eagle or Aeropostle cost more. Its a name brand!

Yeah - Beats Audio works good for ****ty headphones that can't play deep bass. And no, Beats can't. Here's a picture: tzcp8lo7.png

yep, beats can't display deep bass, and that's waht beats audio basically does, play this deep bass as a higher tone. now, the only thing I could understand is design (even though it's just cheap plastic, for roughly 300$), but soundwise, beats just suck.

berty6294

Oct 5, 2012
Visit site
Yeah - Beats Audio works good for ****ty headphones that can't play deep bass. And no, Beats can't. Here's a picture: View attachment 31395

yep, beats can't display deep bass, and that's waht beats audio basically does, play this deep bass as a higher tone. now, the only thing I could understand is design (even though it's just cheap plastic, for roughly 300$), but soundwise, beats just suck.

first of all, it doesn't even state which Beats headphones they are using.. Some of the Beats headphones are just terrible.

second, the bose are $300 and the sennheiser are $700 headphones so idk why in the world you would compare them to those, Beats are priced between $150 and $250 (unless you get the pros which I don't recommend).

th0mas96

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
first of all, it doesn't even state which Beats headphones they are using.. Some of the Beats headphones are just terrible.

second, the bose are $300 and the sennheiser are $700 headphones so idk why in the world you would compare them to those, Beats are priced between $150 and $250 (unless you get the pros which I don't recommend).

Well, sorry for that missing information. The ones displayed are the Studios, which are roughly the same price as the Boses. The Sennheisers are, of course, way more expensive, I just thought to include them as a benchmark. But, the Beyerdynamics are the same price, or even cheaper. What I wanted to express is that the beats fail in the deep bass (what many people think is the best part about them).

fredolay69

Mar 28, 2013
Visit site
Personaly, IMHO, i do nto like the dolby audio at all. Whenever i turn it on, everything sounds more echo'ey and faded. I always have it turned off. I would think the beats audio takes this with ease. My friend has that whole beats audio thing built in on his laptop and it sounds pretty awesome. All though i do agree, it is a bit over-rated.

morpheus1982

Oct 5, 2012
Visit site
My $2 (or ?2). If the Dolby enhancement on the HTC HD7 is anything to go by, it is rubbish. SRS Sound Enhancer was far superior, and IMO with decent headphones, the Beat implementation goes a step further.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss