Welcome to the Windows Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

i was wondering which one do you think has a better sound
    920 Dolby vs 8x BeatsAudio
    i can't wait to see a video comparison fight between both of them

Global Posts
    240 Global Posts
    Im not sure wich is best but I hope nokia puts some good audio quality in the 920

Verstuurd van mijn GT-I9300 met Tapatalk
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    2,526 Global Posts
    I have an HTC Rezound with Beats Audio and the Beats headphones. I prefer the sound of my HTC Trophy with SRS enhancement. On my Rezound the Beats primarily emphasize the bass, which is fine if you like that, but that's not my preferred listening style. Hopefully on the 8X Beats works a bit differently.
    vp710 likes this.

Global Posts
    3,764 Global Posts
    I just read that HTC Beats audio in Windows Phone is done via software instead of adding a separated chip, due to Microsoft limitations.

I'm just tired of Windows Phones being worse than their Android counterparts. :(

^^ 8x does have extra amplifiers so it's not as bad as WP7

Software beats means more potential for upgrades too.

What's weird was everything I read said beats was just an eq setting, and was easily copied between phones on android. Wonder what the hardware was?

Sent from my HD7 T9292 using Board Express

Global Posts
    1,325 Global Posts
    beats are over rated just like bose... everyone i know that bought beats headphones had issues with them.

i prefer sennheiser... all the beats on htc are.... "marketing".

although they havent compared to one another yet... so it could go either way. in the end though, i seriously doubt there will be a noticable difference. so i wouldnt base my decision on that. :P
    WP Central - Super Member
    Xbox Live GamerTag - Bear lx
    scottcraft, vp710 and karaelci like this.

What would impress me waaaaay more than "beats" or "dolby" or any other branding would be an option for a true line-level out. There's a reason my home stereo receiver cost $400, there's a reason why I upgraded my car stereo. The processing on those machines will always be superior IMO. Let me use them properly!

-R

Global Posts
    1,411 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Winterfang View Post
    I just read that HTC Beats audio in Windows Phone is done via software instead of adding a separated chip, due to Microsoft limitations.

I'm just tired of Windows Phones being worse than their Android counterparts. :(
    Isn't Beats on android phones just software equalization also?
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    2,526 Global Posts
    Another thing about the Beats, or at least on my Rezound, is that it only works with music stored on the phone, so anything I stream doesn't have the super cool heavy bass sound. I'm not sure if the newer android phones and the HTC Windows Phones allow beats with streaming music or not.
    Beats is something I will not touch. I rather stick with my Westone UM3X IEMs on a Lumia.

The 920 will have HAAC Rich recording. I wonder how the 8X will compare.

Also curious about the Beats headphones vs the wireless Purity headphones, although I suspect they are both more fashion than function.

Quote Originally Posted by TofuDelight View Post
    Also curious about the Beats headphones vs the wireless Purity headphones, although I suspect they are both more fashion than function.
    Beats used to be made by Monster, i read that Beats & Monster had parted ways, but not sure if thats happened yet, but Purity are made by monster, so the performance could be very similar.

Quote Originally Posted by sketchy9 View Post
    What would impress me waaaaay more than "beats" or "dolby" or any other branding would be an option for a true line-level out. There's a reason my home stereo receiver cost $400, there's a reason why I upgraded my car stereo. The processing on those machines will always be superior IMO. Let me use them properly!

-R
    Finally someone who doesn't fall for that Beats crap, which basically is an eq setting and a lot of marketing. It's more important to have solid, clean and flat audio conversion and signal path. The iphone always handled this quite well, and I hope I don't have make any trade offs when I'll get my first Lumia this fall. Didn't find any Info on the used DAC unfortunately.

When I first saw the HTC 8x I was like I really like it. That was going to be my next phone. But then I started reading about the 920 and quickly fell in love with it. Beats is mostly software equalizer settings. However, the 8x also is supposed to have a built in amp for the speaker. But, now days, most of the music I listen to does not use a lot of bass. I'm more interested in crystal clear sound with good mid-range sound. I think that the dolby solution that Nokia is using is going to work best for me.

Global Posts
    864 Global Posts
    the 8X will have better audio and the 920 will have better videos

Global Posts
    1,387 Global Posts
    Microsoft should just integrate an equaliser and be done with it. Doesn't matter if HTC puts in a dedicated chip, since Beats is about blasting the bass rather than achieving great sound quality.

Global Posts
    1,160 Global Posts
    Be it Dolby, Beats or straight line. You can enhance sound a lot more by choosing a decent headset.

Sent from my Lumia 800 using Board Express

Global Posts
    240 Global Posts
    I hope Nokia delivers on the audio part, the 800 has bad quality while their Symbian offerings where way better! This could be related to the soc they use me thinks..

Quote Originally Posted by Bear lx View Post
    beats are over rated just like bose... everyone i know that bought beats headphones had issues with them.

i prefer sennheiser... all the beats on htc are.... "marketing".

although they havent compared to one another yet... so it could go either way. in the end though, i seriously doubt there will be a noticable difference. so i wouldnt base my decision on that. :P
    I can't speak to Bose headsets, as I also prefer sennheiser to anything else that's even remotely affordable, (high-end tastes and low-end budget FML) but the wave radio is NOT overrated.
    Last edited by freestaterocker; 10-02-2012 at 09:24 AM.

Global Posts
    1,160 Global Posts
    Some info from Nokia Conversations

http://conversations.nokia.com/2012/...ons+-+Posts%29

Sent from my Lumia 800 using Board Express
    Quote Originally Posted by AngryNil View Post
    Microsoft should just integrate an equaliser and be done with it. Doesn't matter if HTC puts in a dedicated chip, since Beats is about blasting the bass rather than achieving great sound quality.
    This.

Do this and add the option for gapless audio and I will be happy.

Global Posts
    240 Global Posts
    Lumia 920 will have an EQ sweet!! it's on the frontpage of WPcentral..

Well the Dolby enhancement setting on my HD7 is currently kind of flat and dull compared to SRS. Beats combined with the amp in the 8X could produce better sound quality especially if the above mentioned scenario is the case.

Quote Originally Posted by Winterfang View Post

It has 2 extra dedicated amps so it's basically the same.

I am sure most high end phones have great sound drivers. It doesn't really matter though. For most people mp3's and first gen iPods were good enough, even when Sony, iriver, and sansa etc had better drivers or hardware.

I am not saying software is not important but the sound chip is the most important. In that sense, the answer to the op is who cares. Lol
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast