HTC WP8x/s look tacky compared to Nokia 920

AngryNil

Mar 3, 2012
Visit site
Apart from the coloured speaker grille, I like the HTC design far more. It's well balanced - similar top bezel and bottom bezel, centred speaker grille and buttons.

Averry

Feb 2, 2011
Visit site
a brick weights 3600g a Lumia weights 180g so it's a 1/20 of a brick.

Lumia 920 is 5.7% thicker than HTC 8x (10.7mm vs 10.12mm)
Lumia 920 is 6.9% wider than HTC 8x (70.8mm vs 66.2mm)
HTC 8x is 1.6% longer than Lumia 920 (130.3mm vs 132.35mm)
Lumia 920 has 4.7% bigger screen than HTC 8x (4.5" vs 4.3")
Lumia 920 has 112293% more innovation than HTC 8x (lots vs none)

Nokia spends 1227% more in R&D than HTC (7.3 billion$* vs 550 million$*)

*2011 figures converted from Taiwanese dollars and from ?uros to us$.

Man, those R&D budgets mean nothing.

Nokia had traditionally been spending far more than Apple in R&D and it took Microsoft to build a modern OS for them.

ImmortalWarrior

Apr 30, 2011
Visit site
To each his own.

Ultimately, the device as a whole reflects whether the design works or not. I like the feel of the 900 and I find the feel of the iPhone 4S to be good as well, but for different reasons.

If the 8X and the 920 both feel like great devices, it just comes down to preference.

anon(5348535)

Sep 24, 2012
Visit site
a brick weights 3600g a Lumia weights 180g so it's a 1/20 of a brick.

Lumia 920 is 5.7% thicker than HTC 8x (10.7mm vs 10.12mm)
Lumia 920 is 6.9% wider than HTC 8x (70.8mm vs 66.2mm)
HTC 8x is 1.6% longer than Lumia 920 (130.3mm vs 132.35mm)
Lumia 920 has 4.7% bigger screen than HTC 8x (4.5" vs 4.3")
Lumia 920 has 112293% more innovation than HTC 8x (lots vs none)

Now that's a great post. :)

I'm also leaning toward Nokia. I preferred Lumia 800 shape to 900 shape, so I'm happy with 920 actually borrowing from 800. I liked the feel of 800 in hand, so I'm hopeful that, size aside, 920 will be on the same level.

But even if I did find HTC looking a bit better, I'd probably go for Nokia, just for the tech they put in - screen, camera, charging. In my mind, the only thing that could work for HTC would be reasonably lower price. Hopefully they will not try to be too greedy.

Like original poster, I'm also coming from iPhone. I'm still on my 3Gs. Didn't like glass sandwich design of 4 and 4s. 5 looks better, but iOS feels too familiar and too old school after more than 3 years of having one... I'd also like to try something a bit different, and iOS6 failed to tickle my curiosity... thus at this stage, I'm not overly interested in either iPhone or anything Android.

Austinguy23

Sep 24, 2012
Visit site
I agree. The colors look like something MS would pick. Just like the WP live tiles, they're absolutely garish.

The speaker grill looks cheesy, too.

Aykazu

Sep 21, 2012
Visit site

This got me thinking. I know a little about investing and something about Finland in general as I happen to live here in Finland.

Nokias R&D numbers are indeed great, but it does not come purely from Nokia, its actually the finnish government that gives money to Nokia and for bunch of other companies to develop new kinds of innovations. So from that id say 5 billion$ is propably more correct.

But as for the post, I definetly like Nokia Lumia 920 and Im definetly going to buy it when it hits my carrier Saunalahti (part of Elisa corporation if you happen to read finnish mobile phone selling charts this might be useful information for you)

The HTC 8X is indeed very nice looking phone, thanks to Nokia its getting great maps and navigator offline turn-by-turn directions which are very important for me at least.
So its not that why im not buying the HTC but its this:

-They will both be pretty expensive phones, propably around 500-600? at that price point people (I as beign one) tends to want the best. In short thats what Nokia is giving, its giving more with the same amount of money but ill open it up a little more.

-The camera: Now we have not seen much results from either one of the devices but im very confident that Nokia will win this apartment due to OIS. In video recording I believe the difference will be quite dramatic.

-32gb vs 16gb now when it comes to storage bigger is just better and theres not much saying in that apartment, so Nokia wins this round.

- The maps, I know Nokia brings the WP8 maps so it should not be that big of a deal but in fact there are a lot more when it comes to mapping than the usual maps and drive. For example city lens.

- Exclusives. Do I need to say more? Well Nokia is the phone which is getting exclusive apps and im pretty sure that those announced in Nokia world will not be the only ones that are/will be Nokia exclusive.

- Customer support. Nokia is known for great customer support unlike HTC

- The screen. Nokia might have lower PPI on paper but the screen has a lot more benefits than that like supersensitive touch for example.

- Cream on top of the cake: HTC is not bringing exactly anything ground breaking or new to its 8X, its propably very good phone with a solid polycarbonate body just like Lumia 920 but Lumia 920 has the Cream on top its cake, actually it has strawberries also :D but cool features that might not be all that usefull at least not yet like wireless charging, I mean how cool is that? Well its C-o_O-L in my opinion.

- As for the weight of the device... Well I have the Lumia 900 and it weights 160g propably around 185-190 with the case I have and its not heavy at least not for me.

Everything I have said in this post is what I personally feel and therefore cannot be generally spoken, after all were all individuals.

All in all im very happy that Windows Phone is getting more good looking products and perhaps more importantly its getting the Press attention as well.
Microsoft has a lot of work to do, since many here in Finland still has the kind of impression where they see theyr 5 year old PC with Windows XP getting that blue screen or saying something about some error report which does not do anything usefull and thus they say: No, I never want to feel that frustration again.

Allthough when asking about Windows 7 most are like, well its good, works actually very well and its 20x cheaper than any Apple Mac. As for Linux many say that it just takes way too much time to get it working as you want it to work.

DungMasterFang

Apr 15, 2012
Visit site
This got me thinking. I know a little about investing and something about Finland in general as I happen to live here in Finland.

Nokias R&D numbers are indeed great, but it does not come purely from Nokia, its actually the finnish government that gives money to Nokia and for bunch of other companies to develop new kinds of innovations. So from that id say 5 billion$ is propably more correct.

I don't think living in Finland makes you an expert on this matter...

Nokia gets 13 million$ from the Finnish goverment P/A. All of it goes to support the universities in Finland to produce the work force needed for Nokia.

Nokia spends 3.25 billion$ in R&D in Finland alone P/A. That is only 250 times more than what Nokia gets from the finnish goverment.

DungMasterFang

Apr 15, 2012
Visit site
Man, those R&D budgets mean nothing.

Nokia had traditionally been spending far more than Apple in R&D and it took Microsoft to build a modern OS for them.

Well Nokia has the most patents in the industry by far and Apple pays them 10$ per Iphone sold so it means something. Yup, Nokia made 50 million$ on the Iphone 5's sold this weekend.

mmacleodbrown

Sep 7, 2012
Visit site
I have very little experience with Nokia, the N900 being the only Nokia phone I have owned, but that was a special phone
The dev community behind Maemo was superb, and the build quality of the phone was second to none. Despite only having had the one phone, I trust Nokia to produce a great phone as my experience with that phone was second to none.
Although the HTC phones I have had have been good, they just aren't in the same league when it comes to build quality

cp2_4eva

Mar 19, 2012
Visit site
Ya know, it would be interesting to see them have these phones (Nokia, HTC) on a table unmarked without their branding and have iphone/android users identify which one they think looks better. I swear some folks reek of brand loyalty so they will of course say their brand looks better.

emergenic

Sep 22, 2012
Visit site
Ya know, it would be interesting to see them have these phones (Nokia, HTC) on a table unmarked without their branding and have iphone/android users identify which one they think looks better. I swear some folks reek of brand loyalty so they will of course say their brand looks better.

I would not say it's a matter of 'brand loyalty" , but more of a personal preference....I prefer Nokia, others HTC , and soon Samsung devotes will surely make their preferences known too.

The WP8 platform is striving for a BIG TENT effect, plenty of room for all us! :-]

AngryNil

Mar 3, 2012
Visit site
Note 2 is thinner and lighter than the 920. Thats saying something considering its a 5.3" screen device.
Thinner says absolutely nothing, when you make a device larger you can make it thinner because you've got more space to work with anyhow.

Is Apple matching Nokia in terms of hardware innovation? Is iOS 6 revolutionary?

selfcreation

Dec 16, 2010
Visit site
Their maps are. I've never seen anything like it before. :D
to bad it sucks doh, rolf! I find it very ugly and annoying :giggle:

On topic , I like the HTC better then the Nokia. but like ive said before im waiting till launch day to play with them.

I liked the HTC HD7 and Surround but returned them both for the FOCUS in the end.. so will see ..

Last edited:

borjeboy

Feb 20, 2012
Visit site
Thinner says absolutely nothing, when you make a device larger you can make it thinner because you've got more space to work with anyhow.

Is Apple matching Nokia in terms of hardware innovation? Is iOS 6 revolutionary?

Yes, iOS 6 managed to delete gothenburg from the map:) and the islands outside of Gothenburg has changed name.

On topic I like lumia 920 design better the only question is the weight... And of course what color to chose probably go with red

Last edited:

cckgz4

Aug 30, 2011
Visit site
That port makes me shudder and think back to my hd7 and how it became loose

But that California dream color....

AllRaj

Sep 25, 2012
Visit site
I don't mind the 8x grill at all. To me, it fits in with the Metro look.

The 8x looks a little like a 3rd gen iPod though. I like it but will wait for both the 8x and lumia 920 to arrive and compare them up close before deciding.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos