Welcome to the Windows Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree34Likes

Hi folks. I spoke about this on another thread and I am sure it has been spoken about before. Many people bought WP devices around April with the new release of the Lumia 900. And some others also bought other devices as well. Some of us had the belief that we would probably be getting WP8. Well, new hit us like a brick a while back that we aren't getting WP8, but we are getting an upgrade of 7.8.

No one knows how app support for 7.8 will be, but I'm assuming it wont be half as great as support for WP8. SO, are us WP7 members left to chalk it up for another year on contract or do we break contracts with that ugly price and then buy a new WP8 device on the carrier of our choosing? Am I looking at this in a wrong light? I just feel like unless I pay alot of money, I'm stuck in my contract with a lowly supported phone for a year.

Global Posts
    32,903 Global Posts
    PIN
    Email
    It's not a big deal to me.

I essentially got my L900 free after the $99 rebate from Nokia.

I'll keep it and see what the 7.8 update provides. I'm currently happy with the device, so I don't see any need to get something else right now.

If there ends up being some new app or feature that is only available for WP8, I'll have money saved up to pay full retail for a new device, and I won't need to break my contract or sign a new contract.

There isn't really much to say other than wait and see. There is a chance that there could be some sort of early upgrade at AT&T, there is a chance that app developers could continue to target WP7 (or target both). We'll have to see how things work out.

Global Posts
    2,431 Global Posts
    Going into the purchase of the L 900 there were no guarantees that WP8 would be in the future for the 900 so if you bought it on the belief that it would be upgraded you're disappointed like me, but I never had that assumption. I was hopeful, but knew it was not a lead pipe cinch. Like other posters I am saving up my money to buy off contract or wait until I have the money saved up. In the meaantime my Lumia works well and does what I need and Nokia has promised to con tinue to develop 7.8 and I will take that as far as I can.
    Your smartphone is only as smart as YOU let it be!

I planned to get a new WP8 device from the get-go, even when I was assuming that the 900 would get WP8. I'm going to be using an upgrade from another family member to get a WP8. They have an iPhone 4, and are perfectly happy with it and have no desire to upgrade to a 4S or 5.

Global Posts
    809 Global Posts
    I would imagine that you will be stuck with your current phone unless you pay your early termination fee to break your contract or just pay full retail for a new one. Unfortunately, that's the way it goes with technology and you're never guaranteed support for the duration of your contract. It does seem as though Nokia will be providing decent updates to their phones but who's to say what Samsung and HTC will do for their devices.

Global Posts
    3,470 Global Posts
    I'm keeping my lumia 900 until next year. I'm skipping the 920 and getting the next lumia phone after that. Its a hard pill to swallow, but id rather they advance the OS and phones, than appease older phones users.
    Goodbye Dooley! You will NOT be missed!:@
    Bring back the WeeeeeBeeeeaaarrrr

There is another way. Find a friend who has their own line. Tell them you can save them money. Add a line to your plan. Pay the $199 (assuming it's that) get the new phone and give them your 900 or whatever 6 month old phone you have.

You can even charge them for your phone, say $99.

You get the new latest and greatest and they save money every month.

It's a win win!

You get treated in life the way you teach people to treat you.― Wayne W. Dyer
    ;)

Global Posts
    95 Global Posts
    For me the mobile was free when I got my contract (there was a war between 3 and tele 2). And lumia 920 is using the micro sim. So I can continue using the same contract
    Audio update is out (unofficially but still) so just now wondering if Telia wants to join the carrier race or if i should change to 3 or tele2..
    Banned

Global Posts
    1,966 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by lak611 View Post
    It's not a big deal to me.

I essentially got my L900 free after the $99 rebate from Nokia.

I'll keep it and see what the 7.8 update provides. I'm currently happy with the device, so I don't see any need to get something else right now.

If there ends up being some new app or feature that is only available for WP8, I'll have money saved up to pay full retail for a new device, and I won't need to break my contract or sign a new contract.
    This sums up how I feel precisely.

I thought we were done with this topic back during the summer. My 2 cents worth...like laura I received the $100 rebate from Nokia plus I received a $100 credit for accessorities when I got my Lumia. I'm loving this phone and I have to plans on getting a new phone for atlease a year. It does what I want it to do and I haven't been wanting for apps (except for one from my credit union). I have two lines on my family plan that can be upgraded so I could get a WP8 device if I wanted, it really is a choice for me.
    ...When you judge someone you tell more about yourself than the person you are judging.
    aubreyq and cckgz4 like this.

Can't speak for anyone else but AT&T business accounts seem much better as it relates to spoiling the customer rotten.

My Lumia was defective when I bought it. Some issue with the speech causes voice search to launch without user interaction.

To make a long story short AT&T offered me a Samsung Galaxy Note for a replacement. I had the rep record the offer and said I wanted a WP.

Next month I am playing my defective phone Ace Card... Wish me Luck!

Global Posts
    864 Global Posts
    honestly... selling devices on ebay makes a mint due to lots of areas in the world with limited mobile device options.

I worked as tier 2 on blackberry tech and had probably 15 blackberries and sold most of them for a good chunk. sold a bold 9900 last month for $475. (still got 2 bold 9900's and a couple curves and a torch ill probably sell off).
    palandri likes this.

Global Posts
    1,444 Global Posts
    should of done your research. For me, i didnt expect getting wp8 os on my samsung focus s and then 900, from The start. I purchased the phone with that assumption So it doesn't bother me.

People should do their research before buying expensive stuff

Global Posts
    145 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by LarryNJ View Post
    There is another way. Find a friend who has their own line. Tell them you can save them money. Add a line to your plan. Pay the $199 (assuming it's that) get the new phone and give them your 900 or whatever 6 month old phone you have.

You can even charge them for your phone, say $99.

You get the new latest and greatest and they save money every month.

It's a win win!

But then aren't you paying for two lines with data and all that?

Quote Originally Posted by Stoneysilence View Post
    But then aren't you paying for two lines with data and all that?
    Well I'm assuming your friend pays their $9.99 +$30 So they get a phone for $40 a month instead of somewhere around $75 - $100 if they are on an individual plan.

You get treated in life the way you teach people to treat you.― Wayne W. Dyer
    ;)
    Free upgrade to WP7.8 + continued feature and app updates from Nokia should keep you happy until you're ready to upgrade to the next generation.

I wouldn't sweat it... the 900's are awesome as-is. :)
    Thanked by:
    aubreyq, Residing, Old_Cus and 1 others like this.

Global Posts
    459 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dkp23 View Post
    should of done your research. For me, i didnt expect getting wp8 os on my samsung focus s and then 900, from The start. I purchased the phone with that assumption So it doesn't bother me.

People should do their research before buying expensive stuff

Especially when you have articles like this:
    From the Forums: Windows Phone 7's upgrade to WP8 Apollo is now unclear | wpcentral | Windows Phone News, Forums, and Reviews
    or this:
    Apollo update coming to all Windows Phones? According to one Microsoft Evangelist, yes | wpcentral | Windows Phone News, Forums, and Reviews

And the forums weren't much better at clearing that up:
    http://forums.windowscentral.com/os-...n/187134-2.htm
    http://forums.windowscentral.com/lumia-900/188374.htm

Look first off most people aren't going to spend 100 hours a week to research a cell phone purchase. But lets give them the benefit of the doubt and say they did. What would they do? Go to the popular sites that cover that technology and read the articles right? Lets say they are smarter and know they don't know everything and ask int he forums where they can get all sorts of opinions. That certainly didn't help either.

So to tell people they should just do their research is a load when the only information out there was conflicting. Some sounded hopeful other days sounded skeptical.

Its easy in hindsight to see where it was going but at the time we had no crystal ball.

As for the topic I think not much is going to happen you have a Lumia 900 and whatever your contract and upgrade-ability statuses are; are what they are some people have quick upgrade cycles other do not. I do not think MS will actually do anything beyond the 7.8 update for those users.
    aubreyq likes this.

HTC trade in for up to 300$ credit and get your self a new shinny 8X or 8S

Maybe I'm missing something but for me it's always been "upgrade your phone and sign a two year contract". You use that phone until your next upgrade or longer if you really like it. What happened to the idea that when you upgrade you get the best that's out there and then use it until your next upgrade and get whatever the next best thing is then? Electronics are always evolving and changing, it's a moving target. Today's L920 will be old news by this time next year.
    ...When you judge someone you tell more about yourself than the person you are judging.
    aubreyq and cckgz4 like this.

You're only locked to the contract, nothing keeping you from buying a new phone and using it for your current line.

Global Posts
    2,094 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gfiz View Post
    You're only locked to the contract, nothing keeping you from buying a new phone and using it for your current line.
    Except not having ~$600 to spend on an unsubsidized phone?
    Phone History (hopefully in order): Samsung SGH-D407 > AT&T (HTC) Tilt > Sony Ericsson W580 > Blackberry Curve 8900 > Sony Ericsson C901 > HTC Touch Pro 2 > Blackberry 9700 > iPhone 3GS > Motorola Defy > Blackberry 9650 > iPhone 4 > Nokia E71 > Dell Venue Pro > HTC Titan > HTC Titan II > Lumia 900 + Samsung Galaxy Exhibit > Nokia Lumia 920 + Nokia Lumia 521 + Motorola RAZR V3xx
    Last updated: 05/13/2013

Global Posts
    3,470 Global Posts
    I change phones like every 6 to 7 months [I use eBay, no money for $600 phone]. Not that I have to have the latest and greatest, but I like moving around to try different phones/OSs. But a lot of people are stuck inbetween upgrades. So maybe this person had a upgrade available a month an a half ago, and used it on the Lumia 900. So he/she thinks they are good to go for two years. Now we know that the Lumia 900 won't be getting WP8 and native apps developed for WP8 won't work on older hardware. So now he's in between a rock and a hard place. The phone was released this year, yet won't receive a update that being released in the same year.
    Quote Originally Posted by Old_Cus View Post
    Maybe I'm missing something but for me it's always been "upgrade your phone and sign a two year contract". You use that phone until your next upgrade or longer if you really like it. What happened to the idea that when you upgrade you get the best that's out there and then use it until your next upgrade and get whatever the next best thing is then? Electronics are always evolving and changing, it's a moving target. Today's L920 will be old news by this time next year.
    power5 likes this.

Global Posts
    1,587 Global Posts
    I understand the need to dump wp7 and move on to wp8 in the microsoft world, but if apple can put ios4 on their 3g-4 phones I think MS should have found a way to neuter WP8 so all could have it. Just because its written for dual core does not mean it would not work on single core. It will be slower yes but should not be as bad as my 3g with 4.1xxx on it. That was just a original iphone with 3g cell. So putting an OS that was 2 generations newer on it was sketchy. More so since it was so weak hardware wise. My Titan should be able to run WP8 without much problem as I suspect some Single core variants of WP will come out.
    1jaxstate1 likes this.

Global Posts
    3,470 Global Posts
    If you look at the HTC 8S specs, I'm really wondering what's the real deal. It has a dual core processor [1Ghz DC], but other than that, I don't see anything mind blowing.

HTC Windows Phone 8S specs
    Quote Originally Posted by power5 View Post
    I understand the need to dump wp7 and move on to wp8 in the microsoft world, but if apple can put ios4 on their 3g-4 phones I think MS should have found a way to neuter WP8 so all could have it. Just because its written for dual core does not mean it would not work on single core. It will be slower yes but should not be as bad as my 3g with 4.1xxx on it. That was just a original iphone with 3g cell. So putting an OS that was 2 generations newer on it was sketchy. More so since it was so weak hardware wise. My Titan should be able to run WP8 without much problem as I suspect some Single core variants of WP will come out.
    Apple was able to put iOS5 on iPhone 4S
    iPhone 4
    iPhone 3GS.

iOS6 is supporting iPhone 5, iPhone 4S, and iPhone 4 [minus some features]

I'm sure MS will tell what's the deal with WP8 on "old" hardware soon enough.
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast