Wp8 email tile problem?

crg28

Feb 6, 2012
Visit site
Please tell me I'm able to name the EMAIL TILE in WP8 when using the smallest square tile available?????
I have 6 Email Accounts.....if I'm not able to add the name of the account to the tile when using the smallest tile (like we are able to do it today with the regular size tile) than this will be a big problem for users like me and will defeat the purpose of having smaller tiles....

PLease tell me this is not the case and this will be a big NONO and stupid decision on MS part.....

txaggies07

Dec 17, 2011
Visit site
Can you even fit enough text on the smaller tile? I kind of doubt it.

You could probably do a combined view on some of the email accounts to keep the number down. I honestly don't have a solution for you, but I don't think it is a stupid decision on the part of Microsoft if it doesn't have it. The small tiles are meant to show a very very small amount of information.

crg28

Feb 6, 2012
Visit site
SO that defeits the purpose....
I have 2 business exchange accounts (completely different businesses), a 3rd business acct using Outlook.com (live) and 3 personal accounts....I dont want to group all of this into ONE Inbox.....I want separate tiles for each email, like I do now with my 900.
I thought I was going to be able to use the smaller Tiles to be able to fit more in my screen, but if I'm not able to identify each tile how in the world am I going to know which account is which without actually clicking on it?? This is stupid in my opinion....

txaggies07

Dec 17, 2011
Visit site
You know what a tile is that is big enough the have text in it, a medium or large tile. You want them to fix tiny text in a tiny box. The tiles are likely too small to have any text in there. Maybe you could just remember the order you put them. I would bet you would get it within a day or two.

Again, this isn't Microsoft being stupid. This is just their approach not working for your use case. How many people have 6 email accounts? That may work for you, but maybe we should call you stupid for having 6 accounts (I am not calling you stupid, just trying to compare). For your case, it isn't ideal that they don't have text. In my case, I think it would be silly to have text in the small box. They made a design decision that I think makes sense, but it clearly doesn't work for everyone. Hopefully there is some solution out there for you.

VagrantWade

Aug 27, 2012
Visit site
Please tell me I'm able to name the EMAIL TILE in WP8 when using the smallest square tile available?????
I have 6 Email Accounts.....if I'm not able to add the name of the account to the tile when using the smallest tile (like we are able to do it today with the regular size tile) than this will be a big problem for users like me and will defeat the purpose of having smaller tiles....

PLease tell me this is not the case and this will be a big NONO and stupid decision on MS part.....

The biggest stupid decision was the one you made to actively use 6 email accounts.

crg28

Feb 6, 2012
Visit site
You know what a tile is that is big enough the have text in it, a medium or large tile. You want them to fix tiny text in a tiny box. The tiles are likely too small to have any text in there. Maybe you could just remember the order you put them. I would bet you would get it within a day or two.

Again, this isn't Microsoft being stupid. This is just their approach not working for your use case. How many people have 6 email accounts? That may work for you, but maybe we should call you stupid for having 6 accounts (I am not calling you stupid, just trying to compare). For your case, it isn't ideal that they don't have text. In my case, I think it would be silly to have text in the small box. They made a design decision that I think makes sense, but it clearly doesn't work for everyone. Hopefully there is some solution out there for you.
Stupid wasnt the right word.....this is such a simple issue that could have been easily addressed for those of us that would like to differentiate between their email tiles...MS could easily have allowed us to customize the Tile to show whatever the heck we want.....I dont need a freaking "Y" for the yahoo account....or a Big freaking Envelope in the middle of the Tile....Just let us customize it.....
Dont get me wrong...I'm completely sold on WP8....just wished MS gave us a little more room to customize Tiles whatever way we want it.....

Scout_313

May 26, 2011
Visit site
Like some have said, I truly think that you're overreacting. I find it hard to believe that you would not be able to remember the layout of your mailboxes after a day or two.

mdameron

Nov 26, 2011
Visit site
I don't know why you can't link the 3 personals at least. Unless you have a different persona or significant other tied to each address...

Mystictrust

May 26, 2011
Visit site
Dont get me wrong...I'm completely sold on WP8....just wished MS gave us a little more room to customize Tiles whatever way we want it.....
You know how they could do it? Allowing you to select a different color for the live tile of each email account, or a different color for the email icon that goes on the tile. You're not going to be able to fit text on there.

If you absolutely need to have all six as separate live tiles, it seems as though you'll just have to find a way to organize. Maybe one medium business tile, two small business tiles directly below it, and to the right you have a medium personal tile, and two small ones below that. Left is business, right is personal. Maybe leave a blank space in between. Lower left beneath the business side is account y, the one on the right is account z, the big one is important account x. I dunno.

[ .Business. ][ .Personal. ]
[ ] ...... [ ] [ ] .............. [ ]

You could also create a personal app for yourself that could link to specific inboxes, and then create whatever little graphic or color you want for the tile. Not sure if that's possible, but that gave me an idea for a small little app project I should look into :)

tk-093

Aug 30, 2010
Visit site
It might not be as big as a deal as you think it is. Muscle memory will take over very fast and you'll just know what icon to reach for.

Example. I personally hate multiple home screens so on either an iPhone or Android I put all my icons in the folders so everything exists on one page. It doesn't take long but eventually I just know which one to reach for. Probably not ideal with having 6, but I dunno....

andrelamont

Jul 27, 2012
Visit site

With limited real estate what are the alternatives?

How can this idea be classifed as being stupid when they give u the option to keep it the same way it was in WP7 ( actually the medium size is a bit bigger).

They gave user some options, and not all the options meets the requirements of all users. They could have left the tile size the same and your needs would have been met, but for some users who are not power users would complain about how come the mail tile is too big...I only need a small icon

mcgrathpatj

Sep 24, 2012
Visit site
I actually agree with crg28. I have four email accounts currently. 1 work, 1 business related, 1 outlook.com and 1 gmail. I have merged my two personal email address and that's fine. But I definitely do not want to merge my work and business accounts.

Has anyone come across a better solution? I've tried searching the app store for custom tiles, but no dice.

cliac

Jul 24, 2013
Visit site

I actually agree with crg28. I have four email accounts currently. 1 work, 1 business related, 1 outlook.com and 1 gmail. I have merged my two personal email address and that's fine. But I definitely do not want to merge my work and business accounts.

Has anyone come across a better solution? I've tried searching the app store for custom tiles, but no dice.
Seems still no way to mark the tiles? I have the same question - even with 2 same icons/tiles on the start screen, I want to mark them so they can be easily recognized. Actually, no need to have a long name but just 2 or even 1 letter would help.

B1zzle

Jul 21, 2013
Visit site
so far i have set up my live email, my gmail and my pop work account---the live tile is obviously special looking, but luckily it made the envelope on the small tile look different between the other too, i have a 4th account i have yet to set up---i wonder if that envelope will look different too? probably not. but who knows, ill give it a try in a moment.

wp_ss_20130730_0002.png

dipankar_mitra

Jun 24, 2013
Visit site
Yes, the 4th tile will look different, as I have 4 accounts setup. But I completely agree with crg28 that this is inconvenient.
I'm currently working for an organization that does not believe in Mail for Exchange, so I dont have my office email on the phone. if I did it would be a bit of a bother hunting around the email tiles.

AndyCalling

Apr 15, 2013
Visit site
Just to highlight the reasonable use of many accounts; It is not hard to build up a few. I have 5: Work, union, home, ISP and public (forums & junk magnet). Very easily done. Add in my work team email address and that makes 6 very easily. This will not be an unusual setup.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duouser3