lock screen
3 dots concept a the bottom
hubs
I hope MS does because live tiles is a big one for MS

Also I do think Apple and google will do it as well

bear_lx

Jun 28, 2011
Visit site
after watching bbjam, i was thinking the same thing! not that they should sue, although they should, but how remarkably similar bb10 is to our lovely windows phone platform.... unbelievable

the lock screen even fades under your finger as your scroll up, sound familiar?
swipe to the right to get to applications?

Steakman33

Sep 6, 2012
Visit site
Not a big surprise...

It doesn't surprise me. They stole parts of webOS (cards) and made it their own for their tablets as well. I wish someone would sue them and put them out of their misery. if you cant come up with something original, move on....

Big Supes

Sep 1, 2011
Visit site
The term "sue" raises a flag with a lot of folk nowadays due to Apple's bullying over the slightest similarity, but in the case of BB10, I think MS should seriously consider it. I would go for royalties over these features and earn from BB's sales, instead of killing off the OS.

fiveodano

Aug 28, 2012
Visit site
Problem with the whole law suit thing is that it's no sure bet. You can lose and it's very expensive and it's bad for MS' image. Better yet, work with BB, maybe bring Bing, or Office functions. Better to try to make money than pay a bunch of lawyers. t may have some functionality, but It looks very different to me. The current Windows strategy is to build a better product, I say lets go with that. Besides the competition is good for the consumer

blehblehbleh

Dec 14, 2011
Visit site
The tiles in BB10 function differently than the live tiles in WP though from what I saw and understood from the video. In fact, depending on the app the usability can be worse than live tiles.

But yeah the general idea definitely feels derived from WP

bear_lx

Jun 28, 2011
Visit site
we have notifications on our lock screen and live tiles, whats with all the buzz about better notifications? we already have a great one?

BellaRed

Sep 15, 2012
Visit site
BB10 could maybe be described as an updated N9 running Meego. Check out some N9 videos on you tube.

The active frames are actually minimised running apps.

It's not bad actually, a giant leap from os5,6 or 7 for sure.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
Everybody "steals" from everybody. If anybody should be suing it should be HP/Palm. Palm OS was the first to bring home screen icons to the masses, cross-platform desktop syncing, true PIM and tethering (DUN). webOS brought unified contacts with Synergy, app swiping, touch to share and wireless charging. Gee, as I'm writing this I'm wondering how Palm ever failed? Oh that's right, HP bought them out.

HeyCori

Mod Emeritus
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
RIm stole features from Windows phone 8 and windows phone 7
Social hub from Wp

I think WP did it the best but I don't think they were the first. As others have pointed out, Symbian had such a feature first.

Live tiles

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe they were described as running applications with an icon to represent them. Much different than a standard Live Tile.

lock screen

The lock screen fades away as you swipe up. WP just slides up off the screen.

I haven't seen a demo of BB10's hubs but just like social hubs I don't think MS has the market cornered.

I think BB10 (in it's current state) is somewhat ugly and slightly unintuitive with its multitude of swiping gestures. And while it does borrow from other competitors, I don't think that's enough to warrant legal action.

Especially not after that sweet licensing deal RIM just signed to use Microsoft's patents. :D

bobsentell

Mar 11, 2012
Visit site
Blackberry will be broke before they made it to court. I like dedication to an OS like the next guy (*glares at HP*), but they are lost.

The only thing Blackberry with worth these days is their patent portfolio. Microsoft is more liable to do a hostile takeover for the patents than sue them for the $3 they have.

TofuDelight

Feb 16, 2012
Visit site
They had a couple of good ideas. The "Blackberry Peak" and the work/play modes were interesting.

The aethestic of the UI is like a really cheap iOS/Android hack with some WP concepts thrown in. All that grey and white looks really tired. The transitions looked amateurish compared to WP as well.

ImmortalWarrior

Apr 30, 2011
Visit site
This Blackberry Peak is almost exactly the same as the split feature in Windows 8. As I watched some of BBJam I couldn't help but think that the blackberry Peak is very very similar to WP Pivots in functionality.

The Lock screen is a blatant rip off of Windows Phone, reorganized to a slightly different layout.

The multitasking capabilities look good.

The word prediction is slick.

Active frames is definitely a live tile rip off.

Profile separation with Blackberry Flow is a great business feature.

Putting it to sleep by pulling down, similar to shutting off a WP, but neat in it's application. Fluff material in my eyes.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taylormcintire