Benefits of WP 8 for a Non-Social Media iPhone User

Mr. MacPhisto

Aug 7, 2012
Visit site
One of the huge benefits is the MS Live ID syncing for your contacts. MS doesn't sell the info and it fluidly links everything between phone and the Live account. The new Outlook.com setup is very similar to how things work on WP7.5 and likely in WP8. So the experience is consistent and the grey mail setup is unparalleled.

I personally love the fluid syncing of Skydrive. All of my Excel, Word, PPT, and OneNote stuff is on my PC but also synced with SkyDrive and accessible via MS Office on WP7.5. I have my entire documents directory available via Skydrive. I also love the Skydrive sharing feature. I can take a doc from Skydrive via my WP and share it via email.

The People Hub is also useful even if you don't do the social networking. Someone listed in your contact list will have a full history of communication presented to you - phone calls, emails, and text messages; as long as those things have not been deleted. It goes way beyond a threaded message.

The podcast functionality is built into the music player. You can easily subscribe or individually download. Management is easy too, allowing you to determine how many podcasts you want to sync automatically, if any.

And the music is terrific. I'm a Zune Pass user (old school - have the $15 a month plan where I get to keep 10 songs a month permanently and download or stream from a library of millions), so music is a cinch.

Some people have already mentioned the scanner (found under the search button), but there's more there. Local Scout has been mentioned, but the phone also has a built in musical listening program that communicates with Bing. With Zune Pass (soon to be Xbox Music Pass), it is pretty seamless. Hear a song you like and let the phone listen - and it often picks it up just fine even in somewhat noisy places like restaurants. It will tell me the name of the song and artist, give me the album, and give me a direct link to download via MS - and with Zune Pass I can grab the song as part of my subscription usually. Or, if I don't wish to download over my cell network, the phone stores a list of the songs it has detected so I can easily go back and download later when I'm on wifi.

The barcode scanner is fantastic when you're out shopping. Scan a product barcode and you'll be given reviews of it and, even better, you will often have local prices come up so you may find a nearby store with a cheaper price thanks to its integration with Local Scout.

Also coming with WP8 is voice command for apps. WP has had app launching via voice since the beginning, but now developers can build in voice commands. So, if Amazon builds it this way, I will be able to say "open Kindle 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea" from the start screen and the Kindle app will open to that book - and, like Kindle is everywhere else, it will open to the last place I was in it.

The Live Tiles are also very handy on weather apps, news apps, for messaging, and for email. As others have said, WP8 will let you set the size to emphasize what is important to you. Make email a BIG tile and you'll see flashes of your email messages in the tile. Same for txt messages. This allows you to set priorities instead of having to open up each app to see what you've got.

I think Windows Phone shines best doing the most basic tasks. It's easy to use and email, txting, phone calls, etc work pretty fluidly. Your most important stuff gets pinned to the Start screen and everything else is easy to find alphabetically in the app list - no need to remember which screen its on. The "find" function also works very well.

Another aspect is the consistent design with pretty much every app. They are not very button or icon centric. Instead they all have a left-right menu system that you can easily flick through. It's hard to describe, but I find it pretty ingenius in daily use and very intuitive.

Daniel Ratcliffe

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
How can I export contacts into a location that the phone can pick up? I honestly do not want to upload my entire contact list to GMail.

But the advantage here by syncing them all to GMail (although I personally use my Microsoft Account that powers my phone + Zune + Xbox + SkyDrive, the same advantage is present there), is that let's say you lose your phone. You link up your GMail to your replacement phone. Watch the contacts fly in. No PC needed. You could even do it while you walk out of the store with your replacement phone. Now how's THAT for being ready to go quickly? :p

selfcreation

Dec 16, 2010
Visit site
ill be honest im not much of a social media guy ether , I don't even have the *me* tile set up! lol

I like WP cause its easy to use , interactive , love the live tiles and the concept behind it , all my gear at at home is MS so its good for my ecosystem. Also its probly the OS ive had the LEASE problems with , never really had any BUGs on my phone aside from the random resets when i open new apps ( but that's rare).

I just like this thing! and how it all flows. tried it once and fell in love.! :giggle:

GoodThings2Life

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site
But the advantage here by syncing them all to GMail (although I personally use my Microsoft Account that powers my phone + Zune + Xbox + SkyDrive, the same advantage is present there), is that let's say you lose your phone. You link up your GMail to your replacement phone. Watch the contacts fly in. No PC needed. You could even do it while you walk out of the store with your replacement phone. Now how's THAT for being ready to go quickly? :p

How is that different than using a Microsoft Account? My contacts sync up the moment I do the initial phone setup, and no trip into Settings required.

Unless I'm confused... maybe you're just supporting the "don't use Outlook/PST" case that we've been making? :)

smoledman

Banned
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
How is that different than using a Microsoft Account? My contacts sync up the moment I do the initial phone setup, and no trip into Settings required.

Unless I'm confused... maybe you're just supporting the "don't use Outlook/PST" case that we've been making? :)

Exactly, nobody needs to bother with PSTs anymore now that your Live account has all contacts. Just create a new contact every time in the cloud and you're all set.

Daniel Ratcliffe

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site

Notice the bracketed part of what you quoted. Same advantage as what I have with my Microsoft account. I just said that if he was insistent on using Google account. I prefer Microsoft personally (heck I even set Bing as my default search engine on whatever I could).

GoodThings2Life

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site
Notice the bracketed part of what you quoted. Same advantage as what I have with my Microsoft account. I just said that if he was insistent on using Google account. I prefer Microsoft personally (heck I even set Bing as my default search engine on whatever I could).

Yeah, I kinda figured that's what you meant after reading it again. :)

lancguy

Sep 30, 2012
Visit site
Exactly, nobody needs to bother with PSTs anymore now that your Live account has all contacts. Just create a new contact every time in the cloud and you're all set.
My problem with Live and it's predecessor Hotmail is one time my hotmail account got hacked into. All of a sudden all my friend's were getting phishing and spam emails supposedly from me. I had to delete all my contacts and change my password. Ever since then, I've only used pst from outlook. That doesn't get hacked and my friends are safe now. And outlook is still superior to anyother email or email client. My computer has both wi-fi and bluetooth built in. The only downside is my bluetooth is not NCF.

The cloud is great, but there are somethings I don't want sitting in some datacenter waiting to get hacked into. And I don't completely trust any company to store personal files. Pictures and songs are one thing, but financial documents and sensitive communications are an entirely different matter. I hope that homegroup will help resolve that issue completely.

GoodThings2Life

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site
My problem with Live and it's predecessor Hotmail is one time my hotmail account got hacked into. All of a sudden all my friend's were getting phishing and spam emails supposedly from me. I had to delete all my contacts and change my password. Ever since then, I've only used pst from outlook. That doesn't get hacked and my friends are safe now. And outlook is still superior to anyother email or email client. My computer has both wi-fi and bluetooth built in. The only downside is my bluetooth is not NCF.

The cloud is great, but there are somethings I don't want sitting in some datacenter waiting to get hacked into. And I don't completely trust any company to store personal files. Pictures and songs are one thing, but financial documents and sensitive communications are an entirely different matter. I hope that homegroup will help resolve that issue completely.

Nobody is forcing you to store anything sensitive in the cloud you opt not store. However, the point being made is for convenience. Moreover, the number of those attacks is largely based on your own opt-in to security. Use of weak passwords and the like, and using them everywhere.

These services all have multi-factor authentication options that require layers of validation to prove you are who you claim to reset passwords. I suggest regardless of a choice between Hotmail or Gmail or other service that you step-up your password security and enable those multi-factor security options.

If you would like, I think continuing the debate in a separate thread is a good idea so that we don't hijack this one. :)

mase123987

Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
One of the things I love about WP in general is it's consistent speed. All my Android phones and my former iPod Touch slowed down over time as I put more apps and things on them. Eventually I would have to do a factory reset to make things smooth again. My 900 has yet to slow down AT ALL. I've had it for 5 months or so and it is still running like a champ.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MatthewHilbers